Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:43 AM   #1
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

Skyrim Slow Framerate MacBook Pro Retina

I installed Skyrim on my MacBook Pro Retina (Windows 7, 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 650M) and I am not getting anywhere near the performance others have reported. I struggle to maintain 30fps with all settings on medium and AA/AF turned off at 1280x800. I have the game installed on my SSD whereas other games run very well off a USB 3.0 drive. Fallout 3, which I understand is older, runs at about 25 fps on 'high settings' with AA at 4 and AF at 8. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any recommendations?

EDIT: I have the newest NVIDIA drivers installed.
mac1984user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:16 AM   #2
doh123
macrumors 65816

No one knows for sure yet... but since the last EFI update that was pushed out, a lot of people have been complaining about issues like this. Seems most people complaining are running Windows though, so it may be a Windows-only thing so Apple didn't notice it in testing since they don't support Windows.
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Moriarty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1984user View Post
I installed Skyrim on my MacBook Pro Retina (Windows 7, 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 650M) and I am not getting anywhere near the performance others have reported. I struggle to maintain 30fps with all settings on medium and AA/AF turned off at 1280x800. I have the game installed on my SSD whereas other games run very well off a USB 3.0 drive. Fallout 3, which I understand is older, runs at about 25 fps on 'high settings' with AA at 4 and AF at 8. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any recommendations?

EDIT: I have the newest NVIDIA drivers installed.
Try resetting your PRAM (turn computer off, then on again holding cmd+option+P+R until you hear second chime) and SMC (turn off, connect power adapter, then press left control + left option + left shift + power button, all at once, for about a second. Turn on again).

Worked for me when I had framerate issues in every game I had. If the issue is only with Skyrim and other games perform as they should then it's probably something else.
Moriarty is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

@Moriarty

Thanks for the advice. That worked wonderfully. With settings on high, Skyrim is running between 45 and 50fps now. Other games that were choppy are also much better.
mac1984user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:41 PM   #5
jorgebarreira
macrumors newbie

Moriarty you are a ****ing genius!!!!thanks a lot man really!

keep the good advices
jorgebarreira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
lewdvig
macrumors 65816

As an avid Holmes fan it pains me to give props to Moriarty. In this case he deserves it. But beware his evil schemes!

Also, I like how this makes me feel old school. Haha PRAM reset. That was the answer to every question 10 years ago.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
retinauser007
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Try resetting your PRAM (turn computer off, then on again holding cmd+option+P+R until you hear second chime) and SMC (turn off, connect power adapter, then press left control + left option + left shift + power button, all at once, for about a second. Turn on again).

Worked for me when I had framerate issues in every game I had. If the issue is only with Skyrim and other games perform as they should then it's probably something else.
Moriarty U ARE A GENIUS! saved me from sleepless nights trying to fix my retina THANKS A MILLION!
retinauser007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games