Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:48 PM   #26
ksgant
macrumors 6502a

This wouldn't be as bad if Twitter themselves had some of the best and robust apps out there for accessing their service...but they don't. I took both twitter clients off my iPad and iPhone because they'd either crash upon launching, or crash half-way through looking at things. Plus their apps are feature-poor.

Something like Tweet-Bot is excellent, it adds value. It's robust. It has features that Twitter doesn't even have.

But hey, it's Twitter's service, they can do what they want to with it. It's just become very unattractive to me. I use it now for news-feeds flowing through apps like Flipboard. I have specific "lists" of twitter feeds for "news" and "magazines" and "comedy" and things like that. I just flow them through Flipboard and I'm browsing the top stories and reading in-depth articles...just like an old magazine. I'm guessing that it will all go away eventually and I'll have to go back to RSS feeds...which kind of takes away the "man on the street" aspect of some news feeds. If I have to go through Twitter's own apps and website, it's not worth it.

2011 16gig iPhone 4s
2012 16gig iPad "3rd Generation"
2012 27" iMac i5 w/16Gigs of RAM
ksgant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:43 AM   #27
The Tuck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
I'm just surprised the Twitter craze has lasted this long...
Craze? Twitter is here to stay.

Tuck
The Tuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:53 AM   #28
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Twitter is in self-destruct mode by the looks of it. First they block Instagram users from finding their Twitter friends (which could be argued makes sense due to Facebook acquiring Instagram), then they block Tumblr (who is even a partner with Twitter) and now this whole API fiasco.

Frankly my use of Twitter has been on free fall over the last month or so. Hardly feel the need to use it anymore. With Google+ and RSS Feeds I get all the news and info I need on the things that interest me. I feel less and less the need to use Twitter, which I am finding annoying as of late due to people whom I initially followed because I was interested in what they had to say on a particular subject, merely flood my feed with a bunch of random comments I could care less about ("I got new desk from IKEA!", "I am X airport waiting for Y", who blipping cares?).
Dolorian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:07 AM   #29
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
So basically Twitter is now putting a limit on how many users a third-party Twitter application can have.

I wonder when Tweetbot for iOS and the rest of the third-party will be affected.

It only seems to be a question of when.
It's been said now already that this is coming. It's already been mentioned by Twitter so it is only a matter of time when they enforce it.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:58 PM   #30
Tom8
macrumors 6502a

A new build (0.8.0) is now available for people currently using the tweetbot Alpha, creating new accounts is blocked, so to reduce tokens used, meaning no "New" users can use the app.

http://tapbots.com/blog/news/tweetbo...c-beta-sort-of
Tom8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:15 PM   #31
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom8 View Post
A new build (0.8.0) is now available for people currently using the tweetbot Alpha, creating new accounts is blocked, so to reduce tokens used, meaning no "New" users can use the app.

http://tapbots.com/blog/news/tweetbo...c-beta-sort-of

Still cannot get live streaming to work.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:20 PM   #32
Tom8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Still cannot get live streaming to work.
Weird, it's been working for me fine since the first alpha.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:39 PM   #33
iseras
macrumors member

This sucks bigtime. I upgraded from the alpha but now it says it canít authorise my account! I guess itís because I changed my twitter password before upgrading. Is there any way around this????
iseras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:06 PM   #34
Sylon
macrumors 68000

The app was really buggy when I first installed it. After quitting the app and reopening it, it started working fine again.

I've had the official Twitter app on my Mac since I bought my computer, but haven't used it in forever, especially when Tweetbot came out. I gave it a try the other day and was immediately reminded why I never used it.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:55 PM   #35
Tom8
macrumors 6502a

If anyone is getting a "Time Out" message, it's because a new beta just dropped 0.8.1. You'll need to click the DL link on the web page the app takes you too. The webpage hasn't been updated yet, so it'll still say 0.8.0 on the blog post, but i've just installed it and it's 0.8.1

No change list yet. Feels really smooth though, hopefully almost ready for full release
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:26 PM   #36
DJTaurus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If anyone is getting a "Time Out" message, it's because a new beta just dropped 0.8.1. You'll need to click the DL link on the web page the app takes you too. The webpage hasn't been updated yet, so it'll still say 0.8.0 on the blog post, but i've just installed it and it's 0.8.1

No change list yet. Feels really smooth though, hopefully almost ready for full release
I download the app from "You can grab the Tweetbot for Mac Beta here". When i try to open it, it gets me to the download site again....
DJTaurus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:41 PM   #37
chrisvee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTaurus View Post
I download the app from "You can grab the Tweetbot for Mac Beta here". When i try to open it, it gets me to the download site again....
This one should get you ZIP file with the application in it. Unzip, and replace your current Tweetbot with the new one.

Quote:

I agree. It feels a lot better than the older builds, I'm really glad to see the Mac app get a lot of attention. Kudos to Tapbots.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:31 AM   #38
DJTaurus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvee View Post
This one should get you ZIP file with the application in it. Unzip, and replace your current Tweetbot with the new one.

Nothing happens... it still opens the tweetbot page when i try to open the tweetbot app.

Last edited by DJTaurus; Oct 1, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 03:46 AM   #39
DJTaurus
macrumors 6502a

I did the mistake first to uninstall 0.8.0 and thats why i cannot install 0.8.1.... it works only if you replace the old version. God dammit twitter API

Last edited by DJTaurus; Oct 1, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:42 PM   #40
Tom8
macrumors 6502a

The app had now been submitted to Apple for approval. Shouldn't be long now!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:50 PM   #41
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
The app had now been submitted to Apple for approval. Shouldn't be long now!
MAS review times are almost a month now, so don't get too excited.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:24 PM   #42
Tom8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
MAS review times are almost a month now, so don't get too excited.
What?! Why is it so long compared to the iOS App Store which is usually X<7 days?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:53 PM   #43
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

How different do you guys think the App Store version will be from the beta?
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:09 PM   #44
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
What?! Why is it so long compared to the iOS App Store which is usually X<7 days?
No idea, maybe they are pulling people to handle the torrent of iOS 6 / iPhone 5 updates?

But it's been longer for a while.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:19 AM   #45
jayem1234
macrumors regular

I assume review times for more prevalent apps are much more quicker. I just can't see it taking a month for tweetbot. I say within 7 days.
jayem1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion