Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
England
Great idea. Always wanted something like this, after all we've had remote locking on our cars for over 20 years, probably more.

skywiseca

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I wanted to but right before the order went through it never asked me for a color option...did you just pre-order any random color?

They will contact you near shipping time and ask for your colour preference.

----------

Exactly, and not only that, but the deadbolt on one of the doors on my house help keep it shut, because if I don't it flies right open because the door doesn't seal properly. I know the bigger problem at hand is having to fix the seal, but at least the bolt is holding it shut for now to worry about it in the short term.

Units like this won't work on doors that are using the deadbolt to hold the door shut. They have limited grunt to turn the deadbolt and any resistance will stop the unit from working.
I have an older powered deadbolt unit and I had to fix my doors in order to make them work. (make sure the door knob latch was enough to keep the deadbolt free to move)

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Metal key system can be hacked in 5 seconds.

Don't believe what you see in the movies. Picking a lock can be an easy thing but with more secure locks (i.e. Medeco) picking is not a feasible option. Those types of cylinders can be drilled which a noisy and physical effort. Electronic hacking or RF capture (the last time I checked) didn't involve noise and physical effort. :)

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Don't believe what you see in the movies. Picking a lock can be an easy thing but with more secure locks (i.e. Medeco) picking is not a feasible option. Those types of cylinders can be drilled which a noisy and physical effort. Electronic hacking or RF capture (the last time I checked) didn't involve noise and physical effort. :)

If people want to gain access to your house, they can smash or even cut a hole in a window (which also takes very little noise and physical effort).
A burglar is far more likely to have that equipment than to be able to hack your lock!
I don't understand people's paranoia about these sorts of things. Most burglars are just low-lifes or drug addicts with no real reason to break into your house except opportunity.
If a thief is talented enough and wants to hack into your door lock, he has a very good reason for breaking into your specific house, and a standard deadbolt is NOT going to stop him

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012

Exactly.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Heh. Who knew so many Luddites trolled the tech intense MR forums.

Look, if your theory was correct then the hottest devices on the black market today would be code generators for garage door openers and cars with keyless entry.

But the fact is, the preferred tool for thieves are 1) insiders, 2) small rocks, & 3) lock pick sets. You make it sound like homes with just traditional deadbolts and keys are immune from burglars and robbers. But clearly statistics says otherwise. If someone is bent on gaining entry to your property they'll find a way w/ or w/o black market James Bond devices. Of course, you also need to have something worth stealing. Most home robberies today (in the U.S. at least) are less random and more inside jobs where the thieves know what they are going in for.

Haha, I'm sure most people thought flat screen TVs and tiny gadgets would increase home invasions tenfold. But when you can get a 40" for $280, the whole used marketplace (with scratched off serial numbers) kinda goes...out the window.

It's cheaper and safer to commit white collar crimes.
Look out for suits.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAJ845IBPg

Time to replace all your locks!!!!!

Seriously, if you're worried about hacking your door electronically, there are plenty of ways to get into a house if someone wants to.

You're just as scared as the people who thought keyless entry systems and garage door openers are going to skyrocket stolen goods

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
It just isn't a very attractive device to have on the inside.

If they made it in the normal finishes or Stainless, Aged bronze, brass and the like I'm sure it may sell more.

I like the concept and how easily it should work but like someone else pointed out, unless your deadbolt slides completely effortlessly into the door frame then it's not going to work at all.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Am I missing something?

There is a deadbolt on my front door and it also has a doorknob with a lock in it. Unless I leave the bottom lock open when i leave, won't using the Lockitron still require that I carry the other key?

mkunichi

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I think there's a great market for folks looking for convenience. There are the more security-minded who want/need greater security, but there are many who view super-security as non-priority.

Not to be controversial, but didn't Michael Moore say in one of his documentaries that there are many Canadian cities where people don't lock their front door?

As someone said, most of the time locks are to keep people honest, not to deter someone who really wants to get in your house.

BTW my dad used to only lock the deadbolt. He said it kept him from accidentally locking himself out of the house. He also said the best theft deterrent was nosy neighbors! It's much better than a better deadbolt. :)

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
I have just patented "Wipe Feet To Unlock".

Gonna make millions off of this. :D

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Electronic locks that don't feature an option to use a physical key are a recipe for disaster. There's a reason that cars haven't abandoned the key-based mechanism in the driver's door.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I'll pass. That'll be hacked in about 5 seconds...

Because thieves will be randomly going through your neighborhood looking for houses with the off chance that someone may have one of these installed.

If someone wants in your house bad enough, they are going to get in regardless of wether you have one of these or not. :rolleyes:

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Am I missing something?

There is a deadbolt on my front door and it also has a doorknob with a lock in it. Unless I leave the bottom lock open when i leave, won't using the Lockitron still require that I carry the other key?

You're not missing anything.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
iOS Security Flaw

They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done... If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.

Your first premise is false: that simply is untrue and will not work. You must enter the passcode to get to the home screen.

HOWER, they can simply tell Siri to "take me home" from the lock screen and Siri will do it. If "home" has not been learned they can ask Siri "who am I" and that will reveal the owner's name and address. Then they can ask Siri to take them there.

Actually, as Tinmania said, there appears to be a flaw in the slide-to-camera feature. When announced, it was touted that you would be able to take pictures from the locked screen. They are supposed to be stored and visible only after entering a passcode. However, in practice on my iPhone 4s, after taking pictures, you have access to the home screen without entering the passcode.

Great for people that have deadbolts that are not double (need a key inside and out to unlock). Those that have double deadbolts are up the creek. Lol. Pretty much useless on any door that is adjacent to a window, full view door or french door.

Nice concept though.

Deadbolts with a turn-handle on the inside are not the most secure. A robber should not be able to enter a window and walk out your front door. I actually came home once to that scenario. All my valuables were piled up by the front door but the perp could not get them out because a key was required to get out. So he left with a Timex watch.

This device appears to attach to a cheap deadbolt by means of a magnet. For that price, you would buy a really good lock.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.

Only the route is calculated by :apple:Maps and takes the would be burglars off the nearest cliff, after taking them off a motorway overpass, through a reservoir and 200 miles in the wrong direction to a road with the same name as yours in a different state.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
Actually, as Tinmania said, there appears to be a flaw in the slide-to-camera feature. When announced, it was touted that you would be able to take pictures from the locked screen. They are supposed to be stored and visible only after entering a passcode. However, in practice on my iPhone 4s, after taking pictures, you have access to the home screen without entering the passcode.

Are you sure your is passcode locked, not just slide to unlock? I've NEVER been able get in my phone from the slide-to-camera. I can if not enough time (idle 5 min) has passed to engage my passcode, but once my passcode has triggered, I cannot.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Forget that bluetooth wipes out your battery , that thing is ugly! Looks like someone stuck a tupperware container on the doorhandle.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not really. A french door or any door with glass (unless it's a full view glass door) is still valid as long as someone can't put their hands through the hole and turn the deadbolt knob.

I ordered one. We have a front door we can use it on :)
I was replying to a message that mentioned full view door, hence my comment door made out of glass. And you would be surprised at the size of an opening a person can fit through. I had a friend in NY in a rather high-crime area (yet expensive) who had roll up barriers on windows--except the tiny little down-stairs bathroom window where it was deemed unnecessary. Yep, someone get in and let others in and cleaned them out.

Naturally I lock my doors but I also realize that it is possible for someone to get in if they wanted to, be it a door or window.

I see this device purely as a convenience item. For that I like it! :)

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.