Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Yeah, I know it's a lease.

Normally, I'd be all for purchasing and not having payments afterward, but this is such a different car, I'm not sure I wouldn't want to get something bigger after a few years. I can sell my saturn and apply that money to some credit card debt I have and get a low-payment lease.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm a female in my late 30s and I want one but I have to wait for my car to die which will probably be never so :) Our next car (my husbands) will be something for camping/outdoor activities so a fiat is a bit small for that.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I saw a video on youtube where someone test drove the 500 manual and 500 automatic. He seemed to be very insistent that the manual was 100% better. He was not very impressed with the automatic transmission.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I've only driven the TwinAir, very briefly, to see what all the fuss was about, great little engine, but with a thirst of a car twice its size. Though to be honest, all of the petrol engines in the 500 seem to have a particular thirst problem in the real world.

I think you've probably already made up your mind, but I thought, like almost all modern cars are now, that it was…. perfectly vanilla. A couple of issues, the steering is far too light, as is the clutch and regardless of the spiel, you know there's a torsion-beam out back.

Other than that, it's getting on a bit now, and like the New Beetle & MINI, doesn't have even an ounce as much charm as the original (which is still such a cool car). Not so sure that the New 500 is. Was. Or ever will be.

Personally I prefer the restrained minimalism of the VW Up! over the more gaudy 500.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
They're nice cars if you have the money for it. My friend has one and I really liked it. I probably wouldn't get a 500 because I'd want something more functional (4 door, etc), but if I was getting a coupé, I'd get a c30. :) Still like the Fiats a lot though.
2010-Volvo-C30-BEV-Front-Angle-Action-View-588x378.jpg

BTW, I like how the Orange one looks. I'd probably get that. You dont see that colour often

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
^^^^our base model in the U.S has AC as a standard but it would be a manual! For that much I would go with a honda fit more room, power, and mpg for sure.

Sure go with the Honda Fit if you want to be driving around a mini minivan. Or if you want a uglier and cheaper interior.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I had it as a rental, for the price I would not buy it.

If your looking for a cheap lease, they have a $99/month lease offer on smart cars right now.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I think you've probably already made up your mind,

I'll admit, I want the fiat to be all that I want it to be - but I'm also prepared to test drive it and not like it as much as I thought I would. I certainly won't buy a car I don't like! =)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Personally I prefer the restrained minimalism of the VW Up! over the more gaudy 500.

I don't see the 500 as gaudy as it seems pretty minimalistic to me. Although personally, I had a bad experience test driving at a VW dealership for the last car I bought. I had been to 6 or 7 dealerships test driving cars and it was definitely the worst one beyond I wasn't impressed with the car I was trying at the time (passat).

Anyway, I like the fiat 500 from a theoretical view but never test drove one :) Although the VW sportswagen is on my short list for possible next cars (with a roof rack, I think it'll do well in fitting with our needs) and I now live in a different area so the VW dealership is different than the one I went to previously. The UP! certainly looks like a decent competitor to the fiat but also doesn't look like it is available in the US yet.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
A friend's got a 500. Seem very fun, but it has been back to the dealer a few times for software updates -- emissions sensor malfunctioned and a few other things.

I love my (well, girlfriend's) Kia Picanto. 5-doors, good manual gearbox and more features for less money than a Fiat. I'm 6'4", gf's 6" and we both fit in fine. Turns on a sixpence ('dime' to you!). Only the small boot means we have to put the shopping on the back seats :)

Dixi1801

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
South Yorkshire, England.
I have a friend with the fiat 500 twinair. It's a lovely little car with decent pull when its needed! He took a car full to a theme park including myself and never once did the car struggle... even cruising down the motorway at 70mph. The start stop feature is cool, along with under seat storage! Nice and roomy in the back for a little car also!

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
There's a couple good videos that show a 500 in the snow on YouTube. We get snow here too and I looked that up right away.

andylaiphoto

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Relative of mine had one for a few months as a rental. Lot's of fun to drive, very economical, and seemed to take our abuse very well. As far as long term reliability I don't know but from the short period of time we had access to it it was a good car. Get it if it fits your lifestyle.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Yeah the us ones are just in its first year and we have no idea how long lasting they will be. I think they are made in Mexico.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I'll admit, I want the fiat to be all that I want it to be

And I'm sure it will be. Is there really a car sold today by an established manufacturer that can truly be considered crap?

but I'm also prepared to test drive it and not like it as much as I thought I would.

That could well happen... if you try to test drive the manual version when you've never driven one before. :p

I don't see the 500 as gaudy as it seems pretty minimalistic to me.

Oh, it's positively gaudy in comparison to the Germanic austerity of the Up!. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.