Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
The really amazing part is people are so anal about a blue, yellow or pink color temp in their LCD's but are ignorant to the fact LG, Sharp, Japan Display (companies making LCD's for Apple) all set their color temps to what they think looks best. These are not defective LCD's, sorry it's your OCD and lack of knowledge, nothing more. Light bleed is annoying but exactly how many times do you stare at a blank, black screen to even see it? OCD maybe? Light bleed has to be pretty damn bad to effect normal use. The pursuit of perfection as you all think is beyond what pretty much any company will ever achieve considering the millions of devices being produced. I'm sorry if your offended, but the OCD wanna be Apple bashers need a reality check. I have seen hundreds of iPad, iPod and iPhone LCD assemblies, more likely thousands as I am in the repair industry and these types of issues are laughable.

The internet is there as a resource and instead of educating yourself about the how, when and why... people would rather stick their head in the sand and cry while screaming foul! :rolleyes:

how about every time you watch a movie and the top and bottom black bars are lit up from backlight bleed and tinted pink. it makes it extremely difficult to focus on the movie with that nonsense going on all around the picture. that's why i ditched my iPad 3 32GB LTE-verizon that i bought on tuesday. the replacement i got on wednesday is perfect though, so i know perfect screens are out there...they are just hard to come by with this generation of iPad.

my iPad 2 was flawless - gave it to my brother for a b-day present and i got the 3 (it was only 2 months old)

----------

its not so much the general tint of the screen. It's when the tint is uneven and is noticeably pink in one corner and yellow/green in the other corner. Or the backlighting is uneven with dark blotchy areas on the screen. I've seen many ipads with this problem. I tried 4 "new ipads" and gave up. Bought an ipad 2 instead. The ipad 2 does not have this issue. The ipad 3 does. People will continue to post about this until the problem is fixed.

^ that, but as mentioned above i ended up giving my iPad 2 to my brother and i felt that the iPad 3 quality should have hopefully improved now. in all honesty, i think it has. while my 1st unit was defective the 2nd one was flawless. the replacement wasn't an exchanged refurb, it was a brand new one

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I've deployed over 800 iPads this year and only had 2 that we returned. I lean towards your statement.
1) The touch screen was not responsive at all, couldn't even get the slider to to work to get it from the 'iPad' screen. Apple sent me a shipping box the day after I requested a return, the FedEx girl waited while I placed the iPad in the container and gave it back to her. I received a replacement the next day.
2) The other had a hairline glass crack around the camera. Replaced in two days.

I'd be very frustrated if I was in Mzjin's position as well. Luckily, I know that this is rare and that karma is paying it back or forward. You should buy a lottery ticket, because the odds of something like that happening to the same person 4 times is pretty slim IMHO.

Rare? You haven't even a clue.

I just bought two more ipad 3s this time with the intent of gifting them to family members and both units (brand new) were so bad with red and pink bleed and uneven tint, it was hilarious.

I mean, really it's not luck. It's YOU. An it's the Geniuses. And most of my friends. Your eyes are just inferior and tolerate lower uniformity and have a higher threshold of detecting color and brightness variances.

They're fine for the masses, but not for the discerning consumer.

If you we're wondering how many people are like you and how many are like me? Look through the threads here with 500+ posts in them and that should give you an idea.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

If you we're wondering how many people are like you and how many are like me? Look through the threads here with 500+ posts in them and that should give you an idea.

I can appreciate that you have the ability to see slight variations that most folks can't. But you can't really fault Apple for producing a product that will satisfy most of their customers. It's just not good business.

Perhaps, they should offer iPads that have been visually inspected by someone that has the ability to discern slight variations in color gradients across the screen and sell them for a slight premium. Maybe a $50 bump.

Note - I'm not being facetious here. This could actually be a good revenue stream ... although I don't think Apple wants to go there officially, as it would practically be an admission that the "regular" line is junk. Maybe an enterprising reseller could do this.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I can appreciate that you have the ability to see slight variations that most folks can't. But you can't really fault Apple for producing a product that will satisfy most of their customers. It's just not good business.

Perhaps, they should offer iPads that have been visually inspected by someone that has the ability to discern slight variations in color gradients across the screen and sell them for a slight premium. Maybe a $50 bump.

Note - I'm not being facetious here. This could actually be a good revenue stream ... although I don't think Apple wants to go there officially, as it would practically be an admission that the "regular" line is junk. Maybe an enterprising reseller could do this.

apple doesn't need to hire real people to do the inspections, they have automated vision systems for that. apple already uses them (and helped design them) to perfectly match components for the iPhone 5. they go into great detail about this in their iPhone 5 promo video.

the capability is there to do this for new production and refurb iPad 3's, but they don't and there is a reason for that. the reason can be found on these forums. while the number of people complaining is small compared to the number of people supposedly "satisfied" with their iPad 3, the number of affected units with defects known or unknown by their customers is substantially higher. apple would have an unreasonably high number of defects and "kick outs", so many retina screens would have to be trashed (the most expensive component, proportionally the overall cost of the iPad) and product yield would nose dive. there would be product shortages all over the place, and it would take less than a month for analysts to catch on and start blasting the internet with suppler quality issues. the domino effect would be picked up on CNN then everyone and their brother, sister, friend, mother, father, grandmother and stranger would be inspecting their iPad 3 screens looking for a defect. at least the investigation of screens is limited to just the screamers on this forum.

i feel that the screen issues are legitimate as i have experience them myself. retina for the ipad, a screen that size, was not ready for prime time and still is not ready for prime time. it might have been ready for another manufacturer's standards like acer, samsung, or dell...but this isn't apple. the ipad 3 was a rushed device and is not polished compared to apple's other offerings. while it only took me one exchange to get a perfect screen iPad 3, i can tell that the A5X struggles to maintain fluidity on the retina screen while playing games or playing HD videos. it seems frequently that there is a hiccup while playing Metal Storm or scrolling. this was never the case on my iPad 2. i'm still viewing, consuming, playing the same content...same games, same websites, same videos...it's the screen that is pushing the A5X beyond its capabilities.

i know this isn't a fluke of my iPad either...it's all retina screens...the technology requires more resources that apple is not adequately providing. the scrolling and other hiccup issues are rampant on the Macbook Pro retina as well.

now with that said - the iPad 3 retina screen, provided you have a perfect one, is absolutely beautiful. real life does even have this much clarity...and i have 20/20 vision

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Karma.

Apple has a great return policy. For a replacement I'd recommend staying away from the zoom and fire.

I do recommend you at least try the new windows tablet ( just not the RT version ), it might do it for you and your family. You should be able to get one in two weeks or so.

not a clue

PS I guess in this case, not having a clue is helpful. I'm very happy with my iPad3 ( Galaxy on Fire HD is aweome! ), just as I was with my iPad2. I have a regular macbook pro so cannot comment on it's retina screen, maybe Santa will be nice.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Regarding uniformity and discoloration issues, like I said in other thread:

People should get used to screen uniformity issues. It's a problem that more or less affects most of the units. Reason being? It's very simple - screen itself is perfect free of uniformity issues, but during assembly process they fuse it to the glass using force, which makes the LED backlight twist a little bit resulting in uniformity issues. Then the whole display panel (screen + glass) are attached to aluminium body which casues another preassure resulting in even more backlight/discoloration issues.

You can easily test it at home. Put a black wallpaper, turn the brightness to max then go to completaly dark room and touch very hard along the glass where the screen ends. You'll see uniformity changes for a moment, becasue you caused a different preassure. Sometimes it helps to cure uniformity issues, sometimes it changes it, other times it can even make things worse. In TV LCDs for example, it can be quite easily fixed by loosening the screws of LCD attaching to the main TV frame.

To sum things up - as long as they will not change the way screens are fused and then attached to device, don't expect any improvements in uniformity. Those issues are bound to happen in most of the units, becasue of the way iDevices are being made. Only thing you can do is to swap at Apple Store till you get the most accurate uniformity. But there's not a single iPad on the market that's 100% uniform perfect. There are only extremely bad, bad, and moderately affected units.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I've yet to see a pink or yellow hued iPad and I have 20/20 vision. I'm sure defective iPads exist, but I feel they are more rare than threads like this suggest.

I'm guessing that those in certain fields like photography may notice subtle differences that others cannot perceive--maybe. Are there competing tablets that don't have this problem? Buy it.

I've seen the colour shifting problem on virtually all the new iPads I look at, I can "see" the problem, but I think of it more as a phenomenon of these retina screens than a defect.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I've never seen a perfect anything, and my vision is only 20/20, but my new iPad offers exceptional quality for the money. Methinks there's a big difference between being able to see flaws and looking for them.

crazycanucks

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Gotta laugh at all these people that keep returning the ipads and getting another one. Maybe the ipad isnt for you then? Quit wasting people and Apple's time with these "issues"

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Gotta laugh at all these people that keep returning the ipads and getting another one. Maybe the ipad isnt for you then? Quit wasting people and Apple's time with these "issues"

Gotta also laugh at all these people who pretend the issues don't exist and go on to defend a device that clearly has quality control problems and/or design flaws with multi tinted screens and uneven backlighting, consider it acceptable and let Apple keep their money.

Just showing it works both ways depending on which lottery ticket, er, I mean iPad Apple sold you. :D

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

I just bought two more ipad 3s this time with the intent of gifting them to family members and both units (brand new) were so bad with red and pink bleed and uneven tint, it was hilarious.

Your eyes are just inferior and tolerate lower uniformity and have a higher threshold of detecting color and brightness variances.

Yah cah is pahked at Hahvad Yahd, Suh. Grab Lovey and com'ahhhn. :rolleyes:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
U mad?

He mad. :D

This is a post whining about people who whine about posts that whine about defective products.

Well, barely defective. An iPad 3? ONE dead pixel? Jeez you can hardly discern individual pixels on those. How the hell does one dead pixel bother you?

"Man this room STINKS! A gnat farted in here last week; open a window!"

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
This is a post whining about people who whine about posts that whine about defective products.

Well, barely defective. An iPad 3? ONE dead pixel? Jeez you can hardly discern individual pixels on those. How the hell does one dead pixel bother you?

I've never seen a dead pixel before. That's probably a good thing.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I really think these defects are more about people's expectations than actual production issues. When I got my iPad 3 it looked greenish at first, but I stopped noticing it after a few days. (It's still green-tinted compared to the iPad 2, but it doesn't bother me anymore.)

When I hear about people who have swapped out four or five of these I have to think they just have different expectations than most users. I'm not saying those expectations are wrong - when you pay for a premium product you should expect to be satisfied, or choose a different product. I just think your definition of what's an acceptable screen differs from Apple's.

green? now that is abnormal.

if you said pink, i would say you're in line with everyone else haha

----------

try watching a movie with the stuck pixel blasting light in the area of the black letterboxes. it's extremely annoying.

i returned the iPad 3 i bought last week b/c of light bleed along that area. it made it nearly impossible to watch a video and not be distracted. i got lucky, my replacement's screen is perfect - no pink tint, no backlight bleed, no dead pixels

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Don't do it. I found a dead pixel in mine, and now after 4x replacements I have a pink and green mess of an iPad.

Gazelle for $500? Yea it's about the best ill get for it. I'll take dead pixels over these trash replacements. 2x DKs and 2x DMPHs. Heavy yellowing on one side or green and pink rainbow screens. Take your pick.

It's 2012, and after my experience with the retina macbook pros, iPhone 5s and these iPads... Apple is pretty much done. Produce masses to feed the mass demand, end up playing the lottery to find one gem out of a dozen trash units.

Worst part is that there is still utterly no competition for apple products. We don't even have a choice but to take our chances getting something apple made or just accept a gigantic plastic pile of software and hardware turd from Samsung, Microsoft, or any of their partners.

I'd have to say, YOU GOT SCAMMED! That must have not been an official licensed and authorized Apple retailer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.