Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I think this is nice move. With hundred of thousands if not millions using Apple maps, it will it improve much faster through user feedback and crowdsourced data than populate and correct the map by themselves in private.

...while pissing off hundreds of thousands in the processed. Great thinking.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I don't like that it seems like they're putting more effort into fixing their 3d/flyover stuff than correcting more important errors like businesses being in the wrong location.

What makes you think they are? The planes are out there recording stuff regardless[1] whether or not.

[1] Although I wonder if Apple haven't prioritized large visible urban areas.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Just noticed some (but not all) of the locations I entered in last week are showing up in Maps now. Progress is being made.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Nice, showing up on my 4S.

Shame Liberty looks like crud on it though. Flyover has always looked best and almost "real" on Forstall's little tech demos, but some of the graphics on the buildings and landmarks are really grainy and just plain awful.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
But if you know things are wrong, and you report them, but it takes a while (how long? an unknown, consistent quantity as far) for corrections, it is discouraging to actually report errors.

One should understand that there are SOP before they make changes, amount of reports and manpower they have now.

The Verge: Apple races to fix Maps, but how fast can it go?

Changes to basic issues could be made "quite quickly," according to Michael Dobson of TeleMapics, speaking to The Verge. Business listings, on the other hand, are more troublesome. "[Companies] often license [the] data from more than one supplier due to concerns about accuracy and coverage. This often results in duplicate listings that are time consuming to resolve."

Apple may be relying on crowdsourced data from users to make corrections, but it only solves part of the problem. "Most companies that use crowd-sourced data to assist in targeting map errors use it as a tool that points them in the right direction," says Dobson, but the information needs to be verified before it can be added to the database. In the case of more complex issues such as street name changes, or even entirely new intersections, city planning maps would need to be consulted along with other official documents.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
As I have been saying since before Maps was even announced... (If they do announce the app), it will take some time for it to become better than Google Maps. Thanks for the continuous improvements. :apple:

that's like saying the sky is blue

of course there will be improvements but that doesn't mean they should of released a subpar product.

we still will be missing street view. that is extremely integral :mad:

Edslunch

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Calgary, Canada
this is more than incremental.

Significant amounts of the New York Metro area that was 2d before are now 3D. this includes Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City, etc. when before it was only manhattan.

And the photos for Jersey City are reasonably up to date, as the window unit air conditioner I installed in my bedroom has been rendered in 3D, and I've only had it installed for about 7 months.

I love the 3d rendering even in standard mode. The ability to change your orientation makes the fixed perspective 45 degree "3D" in the old maps look pretty lame

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
In what was is Flyover useful? If I were Superman or had my own private helicopter, it would be useful. But no, I have feet and a car. If I want to see where I'm going, Street View is what I'll use.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
And then they would completely forego the crowdsourcing for improvements that made GM strong in the first place, and would end up in the same boat next year instead.

Google Maps didn't get strong through crowdsourcing. It got strong by using Streetview data to match provider data and by owning the world's biggest search engine and thus already having the best business listing and POI data in the world by some significant margin.

tuna9720

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
2 things Apple need to accomplish
1; when I click a direction link , iphone needs to take you to the maps app NOT to the google's map in safari. Come on iphone dont you recognize your native maps app :)

2; search bar in the maps either dont find any close stores around me or finds only a few.

These Features I use a lot.

w1lujeng

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Last week maps thought I lived one city over. Last night it was dead on accurate. Even better than my stand alone. My stand alone is always 3 houses off.

Edslunch

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Nice, showing up on my 4S.

Shame Liberty looks like crud on it though. Flyover has always looked best and almost "real" on Forstall's little tech demos, but some of the graphics on the buildings and landmarks are really grainy and just plain awful.

Up close it looks like something out of Minecraft, but at normal resolution it looks fine to me

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
...while pissing off hundreds of thousands in the processed. Great thinking.

Than wait for yearsss without advance features.

(btw, google took 8 years)
Where 2 Technologies Acquisition: Oct 2004
Public release: Feb 2007

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Not seeing the change

Oops, didn't see the text after the pics. Where's the so-called delete function that is supposed to show when clicking the Edit button?

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Sydney and Melbourne added too, and Berlin. And bridges render correctly now. Quick progress, hope they can fix the POI soon too.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
"Good Things come to those who wait".

Can't wait? Still too pissed off? You have choices, although it does not appear that many are taking Tim's advise. Why is that?

Because unless you use Subways or Public Transportation in a Large Metropolitan City, Maps is , well, kinda nice.

Give it a year. Tim had to make a decision and did so. It's fairly obvious by the numbers, that his faith in users to stay with Maps, and help create it was correct.

Not pleasant, not easy, but correct. Rome was not built in a Day. Neither was Google Maps, Nokia Maps, and now, in it's infancy, Apple Maps. :apple:

NeilJaeh

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Two of the same country?

It may be a while before they fix this one: Apple Maps has TWO of the same country - side by side. It's probably not a priority since Kiribati is a small island nation, but I hope your pilot picks the right one if you're flying in on a relief mission. It probably doesn't matter though. Kiribati is expected to be the first nation to disappear due to rising sea levels - probably long before Maps is fully functional.

Attachments

• IMG_6066.jpeg
    IMG_6066.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 117

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Clik on route after entering anything in the destination and show the screenshot. It will take you to a list with apps installed that you can click on route or you can download other apps. It works like crap.

N/M I misread what was said

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.