Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfwlee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I've got a Powerbook G4 1.25 ghzModel A1046. My hard drive died and I don't have any software disks since I bought it used several years ago. When I replace the HD, do I have to find disks specific to the exact model ? I've seen conflicting opinions on the different tables I've accessed on the internet. I know what the highest version I can run is, but but do I have to start back at the orriginal version and upgrade?? A definitive answer would be appreciated.:confused:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
You do not have to use machine-specific disks. Any OS X version from 10.2 (I believe, maybe 10.3) up to 10.5 Leopard will install from the retail version disks, regardless of the original OS.

Hope this helps. :)

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Though you do get special disks included with the machine you don't have to use them - you can use any generic compatible disk.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Just to round out the answers, you do not need to upgrade from the beginning. You can simply install the latest version your Powerbook will support.

You might want to set up a backup system, using something like Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper, to protect yourself in future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.