Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghboard2010

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Somewhere
Purple Haze. . .

Purple flares?, those photos indicate a chromatic aberration inherent to lenses. Any amateur astronomer who has ever looked through a cheap, fast (<f7), Chinese made achromatic refracting telescope recognizes that symptom for what is immediately. It's all about balancing the indices of refraction of differing type optical transmission media. The steeper the curves of the lenses the greater the challenge to bring all available wavelengths to a common focus. One technique used is add a third element to create an apochromatic lens system.
The lens system used in this device could in fact be a singular lens, similar to the telescope used by Galileo. That however would spectacularly colorful not merely purple hazed.

{my two cents}; whaddya' think?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think Samsung has a team of marketing staff equipped with every Apple product with them just to find out small glitches that can be put on the headlines of tech sites. Lens flare, wow wow we wow, I knew that when I point the camera at an angle towards the sun there will be lens flare when I was a few years old!

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
So I am holding it wrong...all over again? :eek:

They must have an "antennae-gate" template on their macs somewhere; their response even reads the same as Steve's now-famous response. :D

For the record, Steve was absolutely right. There was nothing wrong with the phone.

Once again, uneducated people are trying to pretend that their ignorance is a defect on Apple's part.

If you think you're rubbing salt in Apple's wound here, you're mistaken, quite the reverse!

BobCollins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Sunnyvale CA USA
Stupid Response from Apple

I guess that Apple had pegged their customers as photographically ignorant. Yes, flare is normal. No, purple flare is not normal.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think its astounding that people are taking bad photos and blaming it on Apple.

Lens flare happens with every camera in the world. It is intrinsic to the physics of glass and light. It is intrinsic to photography.

People getting upset about this--like those idiots complaining about Apple maps-- just show me that people really *are* getting stupider as time goes on.
Just like now people judge a smartphone just by the screen size. If it's gigantic it's great. If it's not, even if it's actually more powerful, it's crap.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Wait a sec. People are taking pictures with a lens not much bigger than a grain of sugar, using a camera that's worth under $10, and they're surprised there's too much chromatic aberration?

If you want to take a grab of a price label at a store, whip out your iPhone. If you want a picture, use a real camera.

Don't blame apple because you don't know how to pick the right tool for the right job. It's a CELL PHONE.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
My camera doesn't have a phone in it, but it captures images like it was made for the job!

Remember when forums and customer service used to involve a joining of minds to find solutions to problems that actually existed?

Me either.

bryanescuela

Suspended
Jun 27, 2008
Mmmmm

Purple flares?, those photos indicate a chromatic aberration inherent to lenses. Any amateur astronomer who has ever looked through a cheap, fast (<f7), Chinese made achromatic refracting telescope recognizes that symptom for what is immediately. It's all about balancing the indices of refraction of differing type optical transmission media. The steeper the curves of the lenses the greater the challenge to bring all available wavelengths to a common focus. One technique used is add a third element to create an apochromatic lens system.
The lens system used in this device could in fact be a singular lens, similar to the telescope used by Galileo. That however would spectacularly colorful not merely purple hazed.

{my two cents}; whaddya' think?

I think you copied/pasted this from a book or something... :D

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I love Apple but I think that they have a lot of ignorant fans. Lens flare is not a new thing. Does it really matter what color the flare is?
Apple has always been about making technology for the masses, keeping it simple so that you don't need to know anything... it just works and all that. Now that Apple is gaining a lot of consumers, it's only natural that the percentage of people who don't know anything about "how and why" will increase.

Never mind that there are already too many people in the world that are impatient and just want everything simple, instant, perfect *and* cheap.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
People should really spend a few minutes reading on the dynamics of light, lenses, and cameras before they criticize something they don't understand.
No way Jose. That takes too much time.
Besides, it's now more popular to bash Apple products than to like them.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Relax. JJ Abrams spends a lot of time and money to do what you can now do with your iPhone. Be thankful.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't have this problem at all... this was taken with my 5... but I was indoors taking a picture out my office window.

Don't mind the stupid rainbow.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 498

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Imagine that... as iPhone's camera gets better people start to notice their own bad photography more and more. Heh, go figure.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
And others will make excuses for any Apple flaw.

And some others will take any opportunity to complain about Apple fans.

----------

I don't have this problem at all... this was taken with my 5... but I was indoors taking a picture out my office window.

Don't mind the stupid rainbow.

The stupid rainbow is obviously an Apple design flaw.

/satire

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For the record, Steve was absolutely right. There was nothing wrong with the phone.

Once again, uneducated people are trying to pretend that their ignorance is a defect on Apple's part.

If you think you're rubbing salt in Apple's wound here, you're mistaken, quite the reverse!

Yes, there was nothing wrong. That's why Apple decided to revise the antennae design in their 4s, where they were now shifted to the top and bottom of the phone (so there is no way you can hold them by mistake) and relegate the 2 metal bands by the sides to just that - metal strips with no impact on the functionality of the iphone. :cool:

But here's the funny thing - if purple flares are apparently so common, why have I not heard or seen this being mentioned in any article on any website ever? You would think some disgruntled anti-apple user would have brought it up when ip4 or 4s was released, or some smartphone user casually wondering about this phenomenon in his photos. Why did it wait until the iphone5 was released before people decided it was newsworthy of kicking up a fuss? You mean to tell me that Samsung was simply "storing ammo" for 2 years? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.