Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Wow, I have never been interested in getting a tablet. They all seemed just a bit too lacking. But with Windows 8 now coming out, I'm ready to make the leap into the tablet world. There is nothing on the market than can touch a tablet running a full OS like the Windows tablets. But for those that don't want to get the full desktop experience, MS still has you covered with Windows 8 RT.

I know the word ecosystem is the buzzword that gets thrown around a lot, and with Windows 8, OEMs can really dig this into their ads and maybe even sell packages. It makes total sense. Samsung for instance, can sell a package with the Ativ S phone with the Ativ Tab, or Ativ Smart PC or Ativ Smart PC Pro. The ecosystem doesn't bet better than that.

In any case, the Ativ Smart PC looks and runs incredibly smooth and responsive. And once again, they threw in that amazing stylus that supports 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. Now this is a Tablet for people who want to get some real work done. CANNOT WAIT!!!
If Samsung made a Windows 8 Note device, I would forget about the Note 2 in a flash.

Hands On Video of Ativ Smart PC.

madden

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
They already make a fantastic device running a full OS thats light, portable, great display AND has an illuminated full sized keyboard included. Its called the MacBook Air. I am typing this on one right now and will take this ANY day over a tablet running that awful Windows OS :)

KnightMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I'm waiting for the Surface. It's the only one really worth buying, and I like the design.

Yes, it's very cool. Gotta love that VaporMg casing. The name "VaporMg" just sounds cool. :D
But it's the built in stylus that's got me sold on the Ativ Smart PCs. A stylus on a table just makes sense. I think you will see all OEMs including Apple starting to have them built in like Samsung's tablets.

They already make a fantastic device running a full OS thats light, portable, great display AND has an illuminated full sized keyboard included. Its called the MacBook Air. I am typing this on one right now and will take this ANY day over a tablet running that awful Windows OS :)

If that's the case, then why does Apple bother making an iPad? C'mon, just give credit where credit is due. The Windows 8 Tablets are what all other tablets should have been, the Real Deal.

OmegaSupreme

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Yes, it's very cool. Gotta love that VaporMg casing. The name "VaporMg" just sounds cool. :D
But it's the built in stylus that's got me sold on the Ativ Smart PCs. A stylus on a table just makes sense. I think you will see all OEMs including Apple starting to have them built in like Samsung's tablets.

If that's the case, then why does Apple bother making an iPad? C'mon, just give credit where credit is due. The Windows 8 Tablets are what all other tablets should have been, the Real Deal.

Pretty bold claim for something that hasn't been released yet. Of course, I think you're an MS astroturfer. I tend to not trust blindly praising posts like these as being legitimate.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Pretty bold claim for something that hasn't been released yet. Of course, I think you're an MS astroturfer. I tend to not trust blindly praising posts like these as being legitimate.

Ummm, what's not legitimate about the post. It's called an opinion. We all have one. And considering Windows crushingly dominates the world of PC (personal computer that also include Macs), it's not a very bold claim in the least. Get over your MS hate and maybe you'll be able to contribute something to the thread.

@OP, I agree to some degree. I can easily see the Windows 8 tablets taking off. When you consider the fact that an overwhelming percentage of the world has a Windows PC, it would make perfect sense to get a tablet running the same FULL OS. The iPad is a complete joke compared to a Tablet running a full OS, and there is no way anyone can be too big of a blind fanboy that would try to refute this FACT.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I agree. I've been using the RTM version of Windows 8 and it's a beautiful OS for a tablet. I'm still not sold for a desktop, however, I'll definitely be getting a surface asap.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I think its pretty awesome microsoft now is rolling with big boy pants, they have a big chance to dominate the table market and with windows phone they can do it too ! If the price is right i have no doubt it will be a success, i always find funny how people say windows is a crap os etc etc then i guess most people love that crap !

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Seems like windows 8 will thrive best on a tablet. I am pretty eager to try a surface. Do they come with Office? If so that's practically already sold in my mind. A tablet running real ms office would be great when I work on the go.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
I have to agree with the OP. As much as I love Android, I think it's safe to say Windows 8 will be a game changer for the mobile world. Tablets running a desktop OS is and will be the standard. I can easily see these things take off like wild fire. People like familiarity, and when you see people of all ages picking up a tablet and being able to use it straight off the same way they use their Windows 8 desktop/laptop, that's an absolute WIN. This will be the rebirth of MS and Windows.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Your

I agree. I've been using the RTM version of Windows 8 and it's a beautiful OS for a tablet. I'm still not sold for a desktop, however, I'll definitely be getting a surface asap.

Yep in the same boat, it's not suited for desktops at all. Every action that has to be done with mouse / trackpad like hovering to corner of screen is really clunky and awkward. Even the dragging of a window down to dismiss it is clunky.
It is designed for touch screens and there is no getting away from that.

That being said, for the business environment I can not imagine millions of companies putting this in there office computers or upgrading all their devices to touchscreens. I imagine most will skip windows 8 altogether as its just too gimmicky (in context of a business environment)

For consumers, well I think a ton of people are going to get this bundled on cheap laptops and again the cllunkiness of it all without touchscreen is going to frustrate many.

Then you have other problems such as consumers not understanding that there are two versions. They will see the word Windows and just assume its all the same. They will frustrated then when they discover that this Windows RT device won't allow them to install their previous software because it doesn't support desktop environments, and is just the same as any other tablet, except that the App Store has less software on it (based currently).

Then the real deal Windows 8 Tablets are going to be quite expensive (based on ultra book pricing claims by Microsoft themselves) and in PC land it's not the ultra book priced laptops that sell well, it's the €399 cheaply laptops that again won't get the touch experience.

Finally even the cheap touch screen devices that do get windows 8 RTM are based on Atom processors. I'm sorry but paying €600 for basically a netbook with touchscreen ? I thought the world had turned their back ob the netbook hardware....

So being a great success is something we shall wait and see. Even Vista had people claiming it was going to be a great success prior to its launch....

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have to agree with the OP. As much as I love Android, I think it's safe to say Windows 8 will be a game changer for the mobile world. Tablets running a desktop OS is and will be the standard..

But the majority of the tablets in the larger sales bracket $399-599 won't be getting the desktop OS as standard.

You won't be running any of your old PC software on them. They are for all intents and purposes as limited as any other tablet device.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Windows 8 tablets will be limited. you will have tons of junk companies like samsung who gonna make half baked devices.

I suggest you to wait. mostly for sony maybe. the Ativ dosen't look like a good tablet at all.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I think RT could end up being a a complete disaster for Microsoft. As pointed out, consumers are going to be confused and frustrated when they find out they can't run existing software on these things. I wouldn't be at all surprised if stores see numerous returns shortly after launch. This in turn could lead to a lot of negative press.

Now I must say I am personally interested in the Surface Pro. Being able to run my existing copies of Photoshop and Mangastudio and [CRITICALLY] having a proper digitizer pen to draw with is very tempting indeed. It would fulfill my long held desire for a digital drawing pad. (something Apple could also do if they just got over their pen phobia)

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think RT could end up being a a complete disaster for Microsoft. As pointed out, consumers are going to be confused and frustrated when they find out they can't run existing software on these things. I wouldn't be at all surprised if stores see numerous returns shortly after launch. This in turn could lead to a lot of negative press.

It's a problem. The lines between RT and Windows 8 are not clear, and consumers will for sure be confused.

And what are the odds of RT getting decent app support? Not very good.

RT is nothing more than MSFT forcing itself to have an ARM based iPad competitor, but I don't see conumers warming up to it once they realize what they are actually getting.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Remember when Ballmer was demo'ing the surface on stage and IE basically froze right in front of everyone? This could be one of those things that sound better than it works out. For all we know, maybe the touch interface still isn't all that responsive or intuitive, or maybe batt life stinks, or some other catch. We could basically be looking at gingerbread all over again. :p

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Have to wait and see how good it will be. I wouldn't be so quick to proclaim Windows 8 tablets as top dog.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Remember when Ballmer was demo'ing the surface on stage and IE basically froze right in front of everyone? This could be one of those things that sound better than it works out. For all we know, maybe the touch interface still isn't all that responsive or intuitive, or maybe batt life stinks, or some other catch. We could basically be looking at gingerbread all over again. :p

It's not. I'm using it now. It's perhaps not the most intuitive to use with a mouse and keyboard, but it's hardly buggy.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yep in the same boat, it's not suited for desktops at all. Every action that has to be done with mouse / trackpad like hovering to corner of screen is really clunky and awkward. Even the dragging of a window down to dismiss it is clunky.
It is designed for touch screens and there is no getting away from that.

Eh, that's only true for Metro apps, which are completely optional as far as Win8 desktop use is concerned. The desktop itself still performs exactly like the Windows 7 desktop with a few extra features. The only reason you'll ever need to go to the new Start screen will be to launch new applications you don't have pinned to the taskbar. Well, other than search, which is pretty nice save for missing a generic "all" category.

And the corner hotspots? I like them because they're easy to hit. You don't have to slowly hover the cursor down to the corner of the screen. Just slam it over there without even thinking about it. The corner is an infinitely large target as far as the UI is concerned. There's no way you can miss it.

I'm not gonna say Windows 8 is perfect in every conceivable way, but I do find all these "not suited for the desktop" complaints to be way, way, way overblown. I'm on the release preview right now, and I haven't had to change my habits around much at all jumping between in and Windows 7.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I don't think Windows 8 tablets will dominate. They might sell decently, by they are too unintuitive to appeal to the mass market. I think that's a big shortcoming of Windows 8.

Plus they are a 1.0 product, and Microsoft's marketing remains to be seen.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Wow, I have never been interested in getting a tablet. They all seemed just a bit too lacking. But with Windows 8 now coming out, I'm ready to make the leap into the tablet world. There is nothing on the market than can touch a tablet running a full OS like the Windows tablets. But for those that don't want to get the full desktop experience, MS still has you covered with Windows 8 RT.

I know the word ecosystem is the buzzword that gets thrown around a lot, and with Windows 8, OEMs can really dig this into their ads and maybe even sell packages. It makes total sense. Samsung for instance, can sell a package with the Ativ S phone with the Ativ Tab, or Ativ Smart PC or Ativ Smart PC Pro. The ecosystem doesn't bet better than that.

In any case, the Ativ Smart PC looks and runs incredibly smooth and responsive. And once again, they threw in that amazing stylus that supports 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. Now this is a Tablet for people who want to get some real work done. CANNOT WAIT!!!
If Samsung made a Windows 8 Note device, I would forget about the Note 2 in a flash.

Hands On Video of Ativ Smart PC.

It's cool to get excited about new electronics, but you're ceding the entire tablet space to an OS and devices that you haven't used!

Not wise, I think.

----------

Ummm, what's not legitimate about the post. It's called an opinion. We all have one. And considering Windows crushingly dominates the world of PC (personal computer that also include Macs), it's not a very bold claim in the least. Get over your MS hate and maybe you'll be able to contribute something to the thread.

@OP, I agree to some degree. I can easily see the Windows 8 tablets taking off. When you consider the fact that an overwhelming percentage of the world has a Windows PC, it would make perfect sense to get a tablet running the same FULL OS. The iPad is a complete joke compared to a Tablet running a full OS, and there is no way anyone can be too big of a blind fanboy that would try to refute this FACT.

To what shipping tablet running a full OS are you comparing the iPad?

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't think Windows 8 tablets will dominate. They might sell decently, by they are too unintuitive to appeal to the mass market. I think that's a big shortcoming of Windows 8.

Plus they are a 1.0 product, and Microsoft's marketing remains to be seen.

RT and Metro (or Modern or whatever) is about as easy as pie to use. Considering that's the platform the masses are going to be mostly seeing, there shouldn't be too much confusion going on.

Whether it'll dominate and totally crush Apple on the mobile front remains to be seen. If it doesn't, it won't be because it's too difficult to use.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
RT and Metro (or Modern or whatever) is about as easy as pie to use. Considering that's the platform the masses are going to be mostly seeing, there shouldn't be too much confusion going on.

Whether it'll dominate and totally crush Apple on the mobile front remains to be seen. If it doesn't, it won't be because it's too difficult to use.

Not really. The gestures and interface are very completely new and have a big learning curve, regardless if its Windows 8 or Windows RT.

I dig it, but I'm not sure consumers will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.