Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsbfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
How do you go about cleaning the Otterbox defender series screen protector that is built in? I was trying to use some electronic stuff I have that if got on my phone wouldn't cause damage but there are still particles of dust on the inside of the screen protector that when phone is on resembles a dead pixel but a quick glimpse reveals its just a particle of dust.

This might sound too stupid of a question to ask, but I was just wanting to know.

neotope

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Does anybody else get a rainbow effect with the built-in screen protector? I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of that.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I had the defender on my 4S...used to wipe the inside of the screen with a soapy sponge and then dry with a microfibre cloth....I gave it to my buddy when I got my 5. It's still fine. I'm not buying another one though...a little over the top for me and my usage.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Easiest way to get rid of the rainbow effect is to put a crystal clear screen protector on ur phone. I have one on mine and have not had the rainbow effect ever since.

K0P Bacon

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Sal suds

For my wifes iPhone 3gs otterbox defender I just used a few drops of sal suds and a tooth pick to clean out the edges area very careful. It works great from time to time I just use a little bit of the screen cleaner from my phillips tv cleaner.

neotope

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Easiest way to get rid of the rainbow effect is to put a crystal clear screen protector on ur phone. I have one on mine and have not had the rainbow effect ever since.

What screen protector are you using? I have heard some reports that people find the screen not as responsive if they are using another screen protector.

bsbfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
is there a trick to getting the inner shell off? its difficult for me and I just spent the better half of an hour cleaning the screen protector and taking it on and off again when a hair or big piece of dust found its way on...I think I will do more damage to the phone taking it in and out of the case than actually dropping it. :p

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
is there a trick to getting the inner shell off? its difficult for me and I just spent the better half of an hour cleaning the screen protector and taking it on and off again when a hair or big piece of dust found its way on...I think I will do more damage to the phone taking it in and out of the case than actually dropping it. :p

Make sure those very small clips on the corners are undone. There is a good number of those and it's easy to miss one.

Galaxys3fan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
new otterbox user

I am having trouble taking off my defender case off of my galaxy s3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.