Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iloveaapl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Hey everyone,

Tonight I purchased a Thunderbolt monitor and hooked it up to my iMac. Problem is, it's not working. I'm thinking compatibility is the issue. If my iMac is older than mid 2011, does this mean I can't use the Thunderbolt monitor?

Thanks,

Frank

Payton

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2006
Portland, OR
If your iMac doesn't have a thunderbolt port, it won't work. You'll have to buy the non-thunderbolt version of the display.

If you're unsure about your model, check out the display port on the back. Is there a thunderbolt symbol? There you have your answer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US#2

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
All comes down to if you even have a thunderbolt port. All models (like you said) prior to mid 2011 did not have a thunderbolt port.
Have a look at the port where you plugged in the screen, if there is a lightning bolt symbol there then its thunderbolt, if its a rectangle with lines on either side then it is a normal display port
You will need the cinema display that is not thunderbolt which means you will only have three usb ports on the back and not an ethernet firewire etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.