Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elektrokuter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Hey guys, got a problem I hope you fine folks can help me with!

In short, I was trying to help my friend update her ipad2 from 4.xx to 6.0 and she wanted to keep all her app data.

There was a lot going against this, she never updated to 5.0 (for ota update, icloud) and her computer died and she got a new one (I forgot this at first which didnt help)

Anyways we authorized on the new comp, transferred purchases, made a backup, synced apps and finally updated.

It went smoothly until we tried to restore the backup that had her app data. I get the message from the thread title "itunes cannot restore from backup because there is not enough space on ipad"

Do any of you guys know how to solve this? Its a 16GB with about 4.2gb free which I thought would be enough. One problem is that the "Other" category is about 4.6gb and I can't free it.

But is that even enough? How much room is needed? Is it the actual size of the backup file I have to calculate (about 6gb, so need to free about 2gb?)

This has been a super headache and thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.