Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If we could take a baseball bat to the head of anyone who uses the term "cloud computing" we would be a lot better off as a country.

And anyone who uses the phrase "use case"..

My favorite use case for my Louisville slugger is caving in the skulls of morons who make up stupid names like "cloud computing"

If everyone who thinks mindless violence solves any problem would start by killing themselves, maybe that would help. You put yourself on the same level as Pol Pot.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
As others have said, weather events can certainly disrupt connectivity with data centers and/or ISPs which would impact a user's ability to get online and/or access their documents stored in the cloud.

Yeah yeah, but that's not the reason Americans think that.

They think "oh, cloud is now bad cloud. Bad Cloud mean bad pute."

Also, 113% of Americans believe statistics posted on the internet.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Rain Fades anyone? ;)

rain_fade.jpg

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yeah yeah, but that's not the reason Americans think that.

They think "oh, cloud is now bad cloud. Bad Cloud mean bad pute."

Also, 113% of Americans believe statistics posted on the internet.

Fact is that a lot of half educated people are making fun of "stupid merkins" while everybody who _really_ understands the facts knows that these people are _wrong_.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I work in technical support and before that I was with AT&T. I can absolutely believe this statistic. You would not believe how clueless the majority of customers are when it comes to tech. They really do have a sheep mentality. People used to come into our store to get a smartphone and the sale would end up becoming a class on what the internet is, how to use it and what a megabyte is

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wait what? Cloud computing isn't ran by satellite TV (where bad weather is a problem sometimes). What is their problem!?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I work in technical support and before that I was with AT&T. I can absolutely believe this statistic. You would not believe how clueless the majority of customers are when it comes to tech. They really do have a sheep mentality. People used to come into our store to get a smartphone and the sale would end up becoming a class on what the internet is, how to use it and what a megabyte is

When I was younger I worked at Blockbuster and one day a woman dropped off two VHS rentals from another video store in town into our walk-up dropbox. When I saw this I wasn't surprised because it was rather common even though the cases from the other video store looked nothing the cases we used at Blockbuster. What did surprise me though was that both cases were empty (a case certainly weighs more when the VHS tape is inside of it) and both cases were made out of semi-opaque plastic. Wrong store, empty, and you can see through the case. It was a trifecta of stupidity.

Ever since working there I have serious doubts about the accuracy of eyewitness testimony used in criminal proceedings. If people routinely f-up remembering returning a movie I don't want to know how bad they f-up remembering an out of the ordinary event.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
There was a point in time when the majoirty of people didn't know the difference between " Pentium " and " Intel ". And many people thought " Intel Inside " was the name of the company.

I **** you not.

That's because at the same point of time, all of Intel's consumer grade processors were branded as Pentium, I could easily see how that mistake would be made and would not fault your average person for not knowing that. Of all stupid things society has come up with in regards to technology, that's at the bottom of the list.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Wait what? Cloud computing isn't ran by satellite TV (where bad weather is a problem sometimes). What is their problem!?

No, not satellite, but it IS run by electricity - where bad weather can certainly be a problem.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/06/30/162250/more-uptime-problems-for-amazon-cloud

"An Amazon Web Services data center in northern Virginia lost power Friday night during an electrical storm, causing downtime for numerous customers — including Netflix, which uses an architecture designed to route around problems at a single availability zone. The same data center suffered a power outage two weeks ago and had connectivity problems earlier on Friday."

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Ever since working there I have serious doubts about the accuracy of eyewitness testimony used in criminal proceedings. If people routinely f-up remembering returning a movie I don't want to know how bad they f-up remembering an out of the ordinary event.

You don't need to doubt the accuracy of eye-witnesses ... it's already been proven time and again it can be pretty worthless.

The classic scenario is for an "incident" to be staged in front of a class, unannounced. Then the class is asked for their 'statements'. Apparently it's as if most of the witnesses were in different rooms, witnessing completely different incidents.

There will be some exceptionally accurate and detailed statements too, from people who know how to observe. But when you put all the statements in a pile, there is no way to tell which are the accurate ones and which are the fantasy.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
No kidding? Really, but please, my satellite goes out more than my electricity.

My house is the opposite of yours. Last week, there was a two car accident that involved a telephone pole. Yes, I live in a 1950s neighborhood where cable, phone and electricity are strung up on poles. Power was out for about an hour while the electricity delivery company uncoupled the power line from the damaged pole. I was quite surprised we still had DSL once the power came back on. Due to the weather patterns here, any weather interference with the sat TV happens only briefly a few times a year - most storms aren't strong enough to cause an issue.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Let's count!

So how many people here believe, contrary to mountains of evidence, that cloud computing is _not_ affected by bad weather?

mariusaz

macrumors member
May 10, 2007
Um, except the cable company pulls the feed from a satellite....and is impacted by bad weather as well....

While that might be true for television channels, internet comes into the cable companies via fiber. Lots and lots of it.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
While that might be true for television channels, internet comes into the cable companies via fiber. Lots and lots of it.

And yet, as has already been pointed out, when the power lines go down in a storm and the backup generator at the datacenter fails, web sites and cloud services go down.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
A chief of medicine at a teaching hospital once told me that one can prove without a doubt, that monkeys can outrun racehorses on a 50 yard stretch. All you had to do was place the race in the tree tops.
I wonder just where these questions were asked. AA meetings, grammar schools would be my choice if I wanted to get into the news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.