Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Numerous MacRumors readers have reported that their orders for Apple's new fifth-generation iPod touch and seventh-generation iPod nano have shipped, with delivery due for late this week or early next week. The news is in line with last week's reports that orders were being prepared for shipment and claims of an official October 9 launch date.

Stores have also begun stocking the new devices, as evidenced by this photo from Japan posted to WeiPhone.com:

5gen_touch_7gen_nano_shelf.jpg

Mac Otakara has already gotten its hands on both the iPod touch and the iPod nano, posting unboxing and comparison photos. The site has also run some system status and benchmarking tools on the new iPod touch, unsurprisingly revealing that the A5-powered device has performance on par with the iPhone 4S.

geekbench_5gen_touch.jpg
iOS device overall Geekbench scores

5gen_touch_status.jpg
System info on fifth-generation iPod touch
Update: YouTube user Andreas Pall has posted an unboxing video of the fifth-generation iPod touch from Japan.

Article Link: New iPod Touch and iPod Nano Begin Shipping, Photos and Benchmarks Posted

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Not here it isn't!

Popped in the Mk apple store at lunchtime, and no sign there, the nearest member of staff said they weren't due out until the end of the month...

I'm sure they will be shipped earlier than that, but was hoping they might have a display model by now!

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Fantastic! I almost wish that they had shown up with a delayed delivery until the 17th which might indicate that the iPad mini would ship on that day.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
The screenshots are wrong. The new Touch doesn't have an ambient light sensor, as others have reported and as in the Tech Specs page.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Popped in the Mk apple store at lunchtime, and no sign there, the nearest member of staff said they weren't due out until the end of the month...

I'm sure they will be shipped earlier than that, but was hoping they might have a display model by now!

Same here, stopped in the local Apple store last night hoping to see them on display.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
The touch looks pretty cool. I think they should offer the colours with a black face on them though rather than them all being white (Bar the black version)

The nano however looks hideous... I don't get why it has to be designed like that over the previous generation other than the fact it has video playback... but again on such a small device I see that as pointless. People don't tend to watch much video on devices unless they are doing it online via youtube etc.

Why have a circle home button and icons too... why not make it flow with the other devices by having them look like the ipod touch and iphone... again I don't get it..

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Slightly off topic, that Geek Bench Performance chart is really making me happy to upgrade to the 5 from my 3GS. I know it won't be a real world 5 times performance increase, but it will extremely faster.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Mine says it'll arrive tomorrow! ...even though it just shipped out from China this morning.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Never owned an iPod touch in my life. Wonder what that feels like. Haven't owned an iPod since 2005 either.

slothdog

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Yup, got my shipping notice this morning. Any word on how much RAM they have? Hoping it's not still 256.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Wow I'm paying $399 for a iPod touch that's packaged like some cheap toy?

Skimpy apple. Very skimpy.
I, too, carry my iPod Touch's packaging around in public, in proof of my maturity and manliness.

Yup, got my shipping notice this morning. Any word on how much RAM they have? Hoping it's not still 256.
First two generations were 128, the next two were 256, I'd imagine this and the next will be 512. But totally a guess. Will be interesting to find out!

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I did not know the camera ring protrudes from the actual device.
Very un-apple like. Unless I am seeing this incorrectly?

Yes... Looks like it is just the ring. Guessing the device is to thin for the camera...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.