Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpjeff

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
So together they cost more??

It would appear that the bargain is not found in purchasing them together?

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Team Stability. These things be snappin off inside your phone's guts an ****.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
apple is not making a dock probably because it would have to sit in the dock more in order for it to remain stable and not break the connector

They make "docks" to display the iPhone 5 in their retail stores, do they not?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'll wait until some other people test them. I don't want to fry my phone dealing with this.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It would appear that the bargain is not found in purchasing them together?

Pay more and you get more. The cable itself is cheaper.
Not sure I need disco lights on it but hey, to each their own.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
sounds sketch, ill stick to my 6 lighting cables i already have, the connector is way to small to hold up the phone on the dock, your just asking for something to snap off.

Assuming the first was included with the device, you spent $100 on 5 extra cables. And you think this is sketch? Wow...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Does anyone find it odd that the website selling these, looks EXACTLY the same as the on that came out with those Apple light, Bluetooth speakers a few days ago?

iPhone Lightning cable:

http://iphone5mod.com/shop/illuminated-lightning-cable-and-iphone-5-dock/

Speakers:

http://iaudio2.com/shop/iaudio-2-best-portable-bluetooth-speaker-for-apple-fanboy/

Compare the two.
Yes, it's the same company. Apple went after them for the original iPhone 5 mod for iPhone 4/4S, and also for the speaker, but they keep coming back.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Every reputable news source is reporting that the chips incorporated into these make the cost around 6-8 dollars. Liar.

If that chip is used to negotiate pin activation based on accessories, then it's ok to have it. If however it's simply an authentication chip used to prevent 3rd parties for deploying cheaper cables as reported by the same reputable news sources, then that's downright nasty on Apple's part.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
How does sound get out on this dock?
The dock I currently have has sound holes in it.
but it's not adaptable to my iPhone 5 :(
Plus as others have said, it needs some back support so the dock connector doesn't snap off!

taglea2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Let me do the math here...Each is $19.90, or I can get both for $39.90? Hot dang, to bundle both of them together, I'll be willing to pay the extra $0.10 for that bundle!

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
$19.90 for one or both for $39.90? I'm pretty sure 2x$19.90 is $39.80.

ImageWrangler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
upstate New York
I'm an Apple fanboy and even I like this because in this case Apple is just being greedy mofos, plain and simple, this was a pompous move by them. I hope the market gets flooded with non-Apple works perfectly cheap alternatives to teach Apple a lesson about asshattery.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
The fact a freaking cable has an authentication chip in the first place is a fine example of why I voted with my wallet and got an Android phone this time around. You know, where I can use a simple MicroUSB cable that I have hundreds of and that the rest of the world is standardising on.

I used to be on the Apple side, fighting off people saying that they're greedy and sell overpriced products by replying back with the quality arguments and such like. There's not much to defend this though, it's trying to force people to use their overpriced cables pure and simple.

Stick it to 'em, China, I'm cheering this one on.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Yo, We heard you liked Lightning, So we gave you Lightning for your Lightning!!!

xzibit.png

I hope some good aftermarket Charging stations become available soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.