Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Please excuse me, if I appear to be out of step, which I probably am. I have a new iP5 on AT&T. I have been on the same service since the late 1980s, albeit the service providers have changed names more than a few times. What are the benefit(s) for me, if I were to unlock my phone, if any?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Please excuse me, if I appear to be out of step, which I probably am. I have a new iP5 on AT&T. I have been on the same service since the late 1980s, albeit the service providers have changed names more than a few times. What are the benefit(s) for me, if I were to unlock my phone, if any?

You can use it with any GSM provider if you ever decide to leave. Use it outside the US with local sims if you travel. Be able to sell it easier, faster and for a little more money in the future if its officially unlocked.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
You can use it with any GSM provider if you ever decide to leave. Use it outside the US with local sims if you travel. Be able to sell it easier, faster and for a little more money in the future if its officially unlocked.

Thank you. I have noticed reading about this practice in the past. I just simply never really gave it much thought. This is quite interesting.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I agree that unlock_fusion is quick to unlock but they absolutely do not respond to any kind of questions. I had issues with one of my unlocks and I went through all of their troubleshooting steps and still had a problem. Several emails to them and I never got a response.

----------

I have to wonder if this is really going to add resale value now that unlocks are so cheap. I guess if these cheap unlocks go away, it will certainly add value since you won't be able to get the phone unlocked unless you're off contract. Plus they're so cheap that you'd be a fool to not give it a shot for a few bucks, right?

I've been wondering if I can now use a T-Mobile sim (or a sim from another US carrier?) for tethering. I have unlimited data with AT&T and I'm not sure I want to risk losing it by tethering. If I can pop in a t-mobile sim and buy some kind of cheap pre-paid option with data for when I travel, it would be nice to be able to tether with that.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have to wonder if this is really going to add resale value now that unlocks are so cheap. I guess if these cheap unlocks go away, it will certainly add value since you won't be able to get the phone unlocked unless you're off contract. Plus they're so cheap that you'd be a fool to not give it a shot for a few bucks, right?

I've been wondering if I can now use a T-Mobile sim (or a sim from another US carrier?) for tethering. I have unlimited data with AT&T and I'm not sure I want to risk losing it by tethering. If I can pop in a t-mobile sim and buy some kind of cheap pre-paid option with data for when I travel, it would be nice to be able to tether with that.

I hear what you're saying.
If it doesnt add much value in the future it will still make the phone more desirable and easier to sell IMO. Not everyone knows about these 3rd party imei unlocks and not everyone gets so technical with iphones or cellphones in general to know the ins and outs like we do here. They just want to get a phone that will work when they stick their sim in and that's what you'd be selling.
About tethering you are right that if AT&T detects it at least they will give you a warning before they remove your unlimited data plan.
With Tmobile not sure if it will work out of the box without a JB. But again if you dont reside in one of their few refarmed locations that get 3G service on tmobile with iphones then what is the point of trying to tether using 2G data?
That would be painfull:)

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
With Tmobile not sure if it will work out of the box without a JB. But again if you dont reside in one of their few refarmed locations that get 3G service on tmobile with iphones then what is the point of trying to tether using 2G data?
That would be painfull:)

This is very true. I guess I could try it out myself since I do have a T-Mobile sim. I'd have to activate though and I'd only want to activate it on some type of really cheap plan to try it out.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
your signature is exactly what a think when people whine about no sim tool...how hard is it to use a paper clip or sewing needle?

My one screwdriver kit has one that is the perfect size and sturdiness to open the sim door easily.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
click on the link below and key in the information and check unlock history, it might already unlocked and they just didn't send you the unlock confirmation e-mail.

http://ebay.unlockfusion.net/#get-form

i had experience for 2 of my iPhone 5.

So far, i unlocked at least 15 iPhone 5's with no problem at all :D

Quick question. When you log in and click get codes, should it give you an actual code? Mine simply gives me a message saying your phone is now unlocked connect to iTunes etc

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Quick question. When you log in and click get codes, should it give you an actual code? Mine simply gives me a message saying your phone is now unlocked connect to iTunes etc

That's all you need - you don't need any code.

Qoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
MI

the code is (UNLOCKED) when you see this code that means your device is unlocked, simply just restore from iTunes then you should see the unlocked message :D

trungthiendo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
update to this

this unlock fusion.com isn't the same as the ones you guys have been using online.

but they did unlock it finally today, i tried restoring this morning and it did not work, i just restored it now and it is finally unlocked

so i guess it is legit. They just don't answer emails or anything and pretty much non existent customer service

i guess i am sort of satisfied since i got my unlock.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
I agree that unlock_fusion is quick to unlock but they absolutely do not respond to any kind of questions. I had issues with one of my unlocks and I went through all of their troubleshooting steps and still had a problem. Several emails to them and I never got a response.

Strange. I emailed a question to them at 8am this past monday, and got a personal response from them by 10am the same day. Unsure why you didn't get a response.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
They seem to respond to sales related questions quickly, and anything else....never.

reidpa01

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Unlock Fusion Lengthy Delays

I purchased a AT&T 36-hr unlock code for an iPhone 3GS on Jan 20, 2013 and it has been over a week now. I haven't received any responses to my enquiries and the order status still says "Processing..." The site I purchased from was unlockfusion.com. Is this a scam?

jeep92

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
I purchased a AT&T 36-hr unlock code for an iPhone 3GS on Jan 20, 2013 and it has been over a week now. I haven't received any responses to my enquiries and the order status still says "Processing..." The site I purchased from was unlockfusion.com. Is this a scam?

Did you not read at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.