Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Is it possible to upload a pdf document (more than 1 page) to your server so that when you click on: "for more information on this research click here" hyperlink that it opens a jquery module that allows you to scroll vertically through the PDF without the ability to save?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Or export it to flash in some other way. I did a google for "convert pdf to flash" and a bunch of options came up. I haven't tried any of them, but they are options if you don't want to depend on a third-party site.

I have to say, though, if I were one of your users I would be extremely annoyed by this. Seeing something is on scribd is usually enough to make click away.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Or export it to flash in some other way. I did a google for "convert pdf to flash" and a bunch of options came up. I haven't tried any of them, but they are options if you don't want to depend on a third-party site.

I have to say, though, if I were one of your users I would be extremely annoyed by this. Seeing something is on scribd is usually enough to make click away.

We currently have just an image showing in a jquery pop-up, and we want the whole document to show. We just don't want our competition stealing the reports which is why we need the report disabled for downloading.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
That wouldn't make it impossible to download the report - just more steps.

1) visit page
2) show source
3) copy PDF URL from source view
4) paste URL in address bar of browser.

Sorry it doesn't answer your first question. Just wanted to make sure you are aware it isn't as secure as your posts implied.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
To OP:

This requires a server side solution, i.e. convert PDF to HTML so you can show whatever HTML you want, the PDF document is secured as its not located within the document root.

http://www.articlediary.com/article/php-script-for-pdf-to-html-conversion-125.html

I recommend the PHP solution towards the middle of that page, and note that this obviously requires you have access to your web server settings in case you need to make adjustments, shell access so you can change permissions and basic troubleshooting.

Once the PDF is converted server side you've got an HTML file which you can manipulate via regular expressions, anchors and so on to cut out the sensitive parts and only show what you want.

Moshu

macrumors member
May 3, 2012
it all depends on how much the "competition" wishes to obtain the info you display. Because if you display it on the screen, it can be copied (screen capture software or as last resort, use a camera).

It reminds me of a big company where some smart guy decided they will handle important info on special paper which cannot be copied on copy machines (you just obtain black pages).
So I just told them: don't worry, if I need the info and I want to have it, I'll just make a picture with my phone of each page.

You are more or less in the same situation. If you display it on screen, it's just a question of how much effort does it take to copy it, not if it's possible.

Considering you have a PDF document, and supposing you have no control over its source content, what I would choose to implement is the following:
1. convert each of the PDF's pages into pictures (.JPG)
2. custom PHP/JavaScript implementation where these pictures are splitted serverside into smaller pictures (i.e. 10x10 = 100 small pics of each page), each with a randomly generated name, which are then served to the Browser's JavaScript client which arranges them in order to form the screen image.

One would have to save 100 mini-pics for each page, then recompose them just like a puzzle... pretty hard unless you really want that info.

Or he could just print the screen, as I told you above. But if I would have to try to make things more difficult, this is the best solution I could come up since I read your post 10 mins ago :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.