Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feelleal

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
Austin, TX
Going give this case a try. Already had to take my iPhone5 to the genuisbar due to it falling out of my pocket. It had an Incipio case on it. So glad I got AppleCare+. Had my iPhone4 for two years without a drop and a few weeks in already broke my new one.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I agree with going naked. Been doing it with my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now. I agree with the idea that the great design should stand by itself.

That said, my camera is now totally scratched up because it is flush with the rest of the phone. I don't care about scratches on the back glass, but when all my photos are blurred because of scratches, I will seriously consider covering my next phone.

Unlike all previous iPhones, the camera lens on the iPhone 5 is made of sapphire which is much more resistant to scratches.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
When I do get my iPhone 5, I might send it to Liquipel. Rather than dropping it, I'm afraid of getting it wet. I carry it in my shirt pocket and I panic in sudden rainstorms. If it were waterproof, a case wouldn't matter as much.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I've never used cases on my iPhones and I've never had a problem selling them when I upgrade.

Go naked or go home.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
There's no way I'd use this phone naked for the long term. I've seem much evidence online that pocket change and keys can scratch the aluminum back up really bad and can chip the edges of the phone (I have the black one).

I applied a "Best Skins Ever" full-body skin on my iPhone 5. It covers the front, back, home button, and the edge, but not the few mm of slanted edge between the glass and the perpendicular part of the edge (the bevel or "chamfer" as apple calls it).

The skin is actually pretty tough to notice for the casual observer. And they've done a good job keeping the feel of the skin slick. It's almost as slick as the bare glass. Not tacky or rubbery/sticky feeling as when I had a similar skin on my iPhone 3G.

Not a bad deal at $9.

That said, my phone does have a few very small "chips" out of the chamfer, which I didn't notice until a couple days after unboxing it (definitely before I put the skin on). . . but I can't be sure whether the chips were already there when I opened it or whether it got chipped somehow since I've had it. I haven't dropped it or knocked it against anything. (I gather this chipping is pretty common and likely is inherent to all black iPhone 5's due to the black coating on the edge/antenna being chipped off.)

I may end up getting a case to try and protect the chamfers. . . but right now with the full-body skin I'm feeling the phone is fairly well protected from scuffs/scratches. (It's probably not much help in terms of impact resistance though, whereas a case probably would be.)

----------

I've never used cases on my iPhones and I've never had a problem selling them when I upgrade.

Go naked or go home.

*goes home.* :(

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!

I too concur. now that I have APP+ ... its $49 for a new phone if something major did happen. buying a case is easily more than half of that fee... I don't see a point in a case. In 2 years, I'll upgrade to a new phone anyways... If i didn't already know that then maybe i'd go with a case -- otherwise I'm never reckless with my phone.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
So far I've used Wrapsol, invisableShield, various knock offs, a few cases and a knockoff bumper for my 5 and decided to run it naked (and yes it's also black). I ran my 4 and 4S naked most of the time. If anything ill grab a GelaSkins or something for the back just because I like designing my own custom ones and call it a day.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.

I find it very ironic that so many people complain that other phones being made of durable plastic feel cheap, and go on and on about how beautiful the iPhone is, but then they cover their beautiful iPhone in a cheap feeling plastic case.

Apple made the iPhone out of aluminum because that is the very best material that could possibly be used.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.

I (and many) disagree. I've owned every iPhone variant (used to work for Apple in Cupertino), and the 5 (6th version) seems to be the least durable. The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S. There are many who have already shattered the front glass in situations that previous models easily brushed off.

Unfortunately, as much as Ive may hate cases, until Apple develops a sturdy shell they will be a necessary evil.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!

Agree. I have gotten cases for all my iPhones but this time around I have already bought two and not satisfied with either so I have not used a case for my iPhone 5 since launch. Now if someone was to release a bumper just like the iPhone 4 bumper then I would likely change my mind as I like the grip it provides on a surface so I can sit it on my dash without it flying off. The i-BLASON bumper released makes the phone feel strangely bulky but the Apple Bumper never did a such of a thing for me.

My black iPhone is still scratch free since launch.

Back at the launch of the iPad 3 I decided to ditch screen protectors so since then I have removed them from all of my devices. Still no scratches since removal. But I did keep the ZUM SC Ultimate and Leather Smart Cover on my iPad and Speck Candy Shell on my iPod touch G3.

People who complain about the phone getting scratched in their pocket dont put it in there with keys and change. The people who do this boggles my mind. Use a pocket for you phone, a pocket for your keys and a pocket for you wallet. It is that simple. I have never put a phone in with keys and change even my cheap Nokia I had years ago that got tossed around.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I use their case.
Ain't gonna get scratched but it no longer looks or feels like an iPhone 5.

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
You can find cases as good or better than all of these on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Also, anyone that uses screen protectors is an idiot.

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Because the glass doesn't scratch if you're even remotely careful? I've been sticking the iPhone 4 in my pocket naked for over 2 years and there's not a single scratch on either side of the glass whatsoever. Just don't put keys and other crap in there. Not that hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.