Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hi
I just upgraded from snow leopard to mountain lion (fresh install + migration), and I have noticed some sort of alert dialogue box that pops at seemingly random times. The alert is displayed for much less than a second, and will even display while playing full screen video games (removing the game from view for the very short interval). Has anyone had experience with a similar annoyance?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is there any possible way to grab a screen shot while it is visible and post it here? Or do you know what it said?

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2011
unfortunately no, by much less than a second I mean there isn't enough time to read or otherwise react to it in any way.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi
I just upgraded from snow leopard to mountain lion (fresh install + migration), and I have noticed some sort of alert dialogue box that pops at seemingly random times. The alert is displayed for much less than a second, and will even display while playing full screen video games (removing the game from view for the very short interval). Has anyone had experience with a similar annoyance?

This will happen if you have the firewall turned on and set to allow signed applications incoming connections. If you start a signed app that wants an incoming connection the box that ordinarily would come up for you to approve the connection pops up but is approved and closed because you set your firewall this way.

Apple needs to change this so the box is never seen IMO.

If you open your firewall temporarily I bet you will see the boxes stop.

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2011
This will happen if you have the firewall turned on and set to allow signed applications incoming connections. If you start a signed app that wants an incoming connection the box that ordinarily would come up for you to approve the connection pops up but is approved and closed because you set your firewall this way.

Apple needs to change this so the box is never seen IMO.

If you open your firewall temporarily I bet you will see the boxes stop.

That makes sense, I was going to mention in my original post that the alert might possibly look like the "allow incoming connections" prompt, but I didn't want to bias anyone since I wasn't sure of it. Come to think of it, I did allow incoming connections in the game where they were previously prevented in snow leopard.
Thanks Weaselboy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.