Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0rkchop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Figured I'd throw this out there.

I was quoted $280 for a "PERFECT" 16gig 4S on Gazelle the week before the iPhone 5 was released, they honor their estimates for 30 days I believe. Anyways, I received their shipping label and USPS priority box, wrapped the 4S in newspaper and sent it away.

A few days later they emailed me saying they received it and payment would be soon after they inspect it.

Three days later I received a payment of $280 in my Paypal account.
The phone was in an Otterbox defender case since day one, but PERFECT price quotes ARE possible from them.

A lot of talk online is of how they rip people off etc...not my experience. Paid $200 for the phone a year ago, and sold it for $80 more than I paid. With no eBay hassle/fees/risks

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I agree. Gazelle is a nice site. I sold my 3GS a few months after I had the 4S and still got $90 for it. Just over 50% less than I paid for it after 2.5 years of use. It wasn't in like new condition, but it was in good condition with a perfect screen.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I had the same experience. Sent them a 32gb iPhone4 and locked in a price of 246 via Amazon Gift card. After my wife got the iPhone 5, we sent in the iPhone 4. It took them a few hours of processing after they got it and then gave me the full amount. Got my gift card a couple of days later. No issues at all.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007

I was quoted $280 for a "PERFECT" 16gig 4S on Gazelle the week before the iPhone 5 was released, they honor their estimates for 30 days I believe. Anyways, I received their shipping label and USPS priority box, wrapped the 4S in newspaper and sent it away.

A few days later they emailed me saying they received it and payment would be soon after they inspect it.

The phone was in an Otterbox defender case since day one, but PERFECT price quotes ARE possible from them.

A lot of talk online is of how they rip people off etc...not my experience. Paid $200 for the phone a year ago, and sold it for $80 more than I paid. With no eBay hassle/fees/risks

Quick question, what is the hassle in eBay? Just curious. I'm glad you made money on the phone!!

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
In my experience Gazelle is a quick lowball. A much better price can be had locally. I usually try family, friends and coworkers first and get top dollar. My last phone sold $100 above what Gazelle offered me.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Ditto with me - was quote $165 for a 'perfect' iPhone 4, black, 16Gb. A day after they reported getting it, I got $165. :)

measel

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I used Gazelle for 2 of my Verizon iPhone 4 for $180 each in PERFECT condition. And it passed. so They're great! No complaints from me!

p0rkchop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Quick question, what is the hassle in eBay? Just curious. I'm glad you made money on the phone!!

I originally put it on eBay, and a guy in India won it even though in the auction, I selected no International Bidders. It still went through. I figured screw it, I'll let him buy it, so I was quoted 17$ for shipping USPS, well you cant send iPhones internationally with USPS because of the non-removable battery but UPS can do it. Went there, was quoted 125$ to ship it. I canceled the eBay order, issued refund.

Another PIA is the chunk they take, plus the chunk pay pal takes too.

Besides the phone sold for $317 and after all fees, I only would have made about $10 more. BUT with eBay you have to go to post office...wait in line..

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Hahahaha. This is a joke right?
I checked this site out. $120 for my cracked back, no vibrate factory unlocked iPhone 4? I sold it for $200 to someone and we both thought it was a very good deal. Yikes. $120

EDIT: Lmfao, what?! $491 for a top of the line 17" MacBook Pro?! What a ripoff

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 7.32.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 7.32.28 PM.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
In my experience Gazelle is a quick lowball. A much better price can be had locally. I usually try family, friends and coworkers first and get top dollar. My last phone sold $100 above what Gazelle offered me.

Amazo just gave me $370 credit for 16gb 4S I just sent in last week. Easy credit.

Guess if u want cash than use eBay/gazelle if u want lower value c

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I usually try family, friends and coworkers first and get top dollar.

Must be nice to have the balls to ask your own family and friends for top dollar for your used stuff.

I sold my 64gb 4S to Gazelle for $400. Could have gotten more on ebay, before fees and shipping hassles/fear of loss, or craigslist, before a dozen scam emails and tire kickers. $400 was easy peasy, and it's exactly what I paid for it, and exactly what I pad for my 5.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Agree. I've sold numerous items to Gazelle over the past couple of years and they've always come through. And one time, they gave me MORE than the original offer because the value went up. Sure, I could sell my own items directly for more cash, but the hassle is absorbed by Gazelle...

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Agree. I've sold numerous items to Gazelle over the past couple of years and they've always come through. And one time, they gave me MORE than the original offer because the value went up. Sure, I could sell my own items directly for more cash, but the hassle is absorbed by Gazelle...

ame. they gave me more than my quote when they got the device.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
In my experience Gazelle is a quick lowball. A much better price can be had locally... My last phone sold $100 above what Gazelle offered me.

Yes, last weekend Gazelle offered me $205 for a white 16 GB AT&T 4S and was selling the same phone for about $325. eBay instant sale's offer was $245. I sold it on Craigslist for $330 and the best part was I didn't get murdered. Wait, scratch that. The best part is I upgraded to an iPhone 5. ;)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

I sold my ipad 1 to gazelle which was in absolute mint condition. They actually paid me more than they quoted me. I think I got around $650 for a 64 gig 3G. They paid me about 30-40 more than they originally quoted me.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
$167 for a flawless factory unlocked iPhone 4 32GB.. F that. Phone is worth way more then that. I'd rather give it away (which I'm doing anyway) than sell it to Gazelle for chump change.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Must be nice to have the balls to ask your own family and friends for top dollar for your used stuff.
Apparently you have never tried it. The key is to first let everyone know you are an Apple person and you take care of your stuff. Then when you have something to sell, do the research for the going rate (E-bay, craigstlist, that sort of thing). If nobody wants it, fine, then use Gazelle, but all I'm saying is that giving family and friends a shot is actually the nice thing to do. A co-worker of mine got mad at me for not letting him know I was selling an Apple TV a few months back.

I guess what I meant by top dollar is the standard selling value of the unit at any given time. Not the lowball prices of Gazelle.

----------

Amazo just gave me $370 credit for 16gb 4S I just sent in last week. Easy credit.

Guess if u want cash than use eBay/gazelle if u want lower value c
The Amazon credit isn't bad but I had a bad experience with them when I sent them a perfect iPhone 4. They denied the trade in because they basically couldn't figure out how to get into a wiped phone with the sim card removed. I wasted 2 weeks waiting for the phone to get returned. Also, sometimes I just want cash to pay off the credit card I used on the new phone.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I originally put it on eBay, and a guy in India won it even though in the auction, I selected no International Bidders. It still went through. I figured screw it, I'll let him buy it, so I was quoted 17$ for shipping USPS, well you cant send iPhones internationally with USPS because of the non-removable battery but UPS can do it. Went there, was quoted 125$ to ship it. I canceled the eBay order, issued refund.

Another PIA is the chunk they take, plus the chunk pay pal takes too.

Besides the phone sold for $317 and after all fees, I only would have made about $10 more. BUT with eBay you have to go to post office...wait in line..

Just a heads up fyi.....I had the same problem. All you need to do is go into my ebay and change your site preferences to block all the unwanted international and non paying buyers.....I sold my iPhone 4 for 300$ with 30$ in fees which was still over 100$ more than Gazelle offered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.