Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
MacSales has a similar device, but with Firewire & USB ports instead of thunderbolt. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/RAID/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

A little more expensive, but bus powered, which is cool.

Wait, why does it have 2x FW800 + FW400?
The looseness of the FW800 ports have always made me nervous (and some cables have been finicky), is it because the 6-pin FW400 port is sturdier?
I've used a 6-pin to 9-pin on my MBP...
Can you not go from 9-pin to a 6-pin port?

----------

Try this,
http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9237532~pdp.hhbeafj

Its refurbished from Lacie, I got it and works like a champ. I am getting around 300 MB/sec from this thunderbolt drive.

Woah!
Good find, thanks!!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

Attachments

• wdfMBThunderboltmm.jpg
    wdfMBThunderboltmm.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,338
  • wdfMBThunderbolt.jpg
    wdfMBThunderbolt.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,348
  • mybookthunderbolt_12.jpg
    mybookthunderbolt_12.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,341
  • mybookthunderbolt_08.jpg
    mybookthunderbolt_08.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 67

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
How is the above a better investment than the Lacie?

Plus absolutely no plastic whatsoever on the lacie. Its built like a tank with Aluminium which is good for heat dissipation.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
How is the above a better investment than the Lacie?

Plus absolutely no plastic whatsoever on the lacie. Its built like a tank with Aluminium which is good for heat dissipation.

It is only in the manner of Storage/Price ratio (not speed) and the fact that if your frame fails, you can pull out the disk and push it in elsewhere, since neither the LaCie nor WD have a USB 2/3 port.

That's sums it up

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I've got a LaCie Wireless Space NAS and it's bloody dreadful. It's horrible to set up and use; if I leave a load of stuff (say a season of House) downloading to it (I have my iTunes library on it) over night or while I'm at work I'll get back and find most of them have failed (err -50), and yesterday it just stopped appearing as a drive (still available as a wireless hotspot). Never again.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I've got a LaCie Wireless Space NAS and it's bloody dreadful. It's horrible to set up and use; if I leave a load of stuff (say a season of House) downloading to it (I have my iTunes library on it) over night or while I'm at work I'll get back and find most of them have failed (err -50), and yesterday it just stopped appearing as a drive (still available as a wireless hotspot). Never again.

Don't know about wireless NAS. My thunderbolt drive is running like a champ. No noise and when its at RAID 0 its operating at around 300 MB/sec. As good as a SSD(without RAID).

And I always had WD drives fail on my PC so I stay away from it. But I guess it comes down to what works for you.

I am happy with my Lacie TB drive. Can't beat the price at the moment and planning on getting another one. It turns out, my internal drive in my iMac is now slower than my Lacie thunderbolt drive. Thinking of installing the OS X on the external Lacie drive.

Vidivici

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Europe
Not sure if the LaCie option is really worth the "investment", if we are talking TB only options.

WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo

Only Thunderbolt port, normal HDDs, user upgradable, no info on read/write speed

4Tb - USD 560.00
6Tb - USD 660.00
8Tb - USD 850.00

http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...arid.13092300/catid.55286600/themeID.21986300

You should compare it with the 2big , not with the LBD

http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/product_large/2bigTB_Back.jpg

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10573

2big is faster then this plastic WD my book

http://reviews.cnet.com/external-hard-drives/wd-my-book-thunderbolt/4505-3190_7-35118078-2.html

I got myself the lacie rugged with thunderbolt/usb 3 120 SSD ; also just released
Going to use it as an external boot drive for my iMac

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10599

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Don't know about wireless NAS. My thunderbolt drive is running like a champ. No noise and when its at RAID 0 its operating at around 300 MB/sec. As good as a SSD(without RAID).

And I always had WD drives fail on my PC so I stay away from it. But I guess it comes down to what works for you.

I am happy with my Lacie TB drive. Can't beat the price at the moment and planning on getting another one. It turns out, my internal drive in my iMac is now slower than my Lacie thunderbolt drive. Thinking of installing the OS X on the external Lacie drive.

I have to concur here...I threw in the towel and purchased a Promise Pegasus R4 a while back I run two RAID 0 arrays and am also getting in excess of 300MPS. It's a lot more flexible, allows real time editing and although the snag is the cost if the thing, I can daisy chain in another larger unit if required. The NAS solution must work well for some, too many units are being sold for it not to, but I'm sold on the Thunderbolt array solution now.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
You should compare it with the 2big , not with the LBD

http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/product_large/2bigTB_Back.jpg

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10573

2big is faster then this plastic WD my book

http://reviews.cnet.com/external-hard-drives/wd-my-book-thunderbolt/4505-3190_7-35118078-2.html

I got myself the lacie rugged with thunderbolt/usb 3 120 SSD ; also just released
Going to use it as an external boot drive for my iMac

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10599

good thing you posted the cnet review

wd duo made the bottom of the list on the first comparative table
(Data transfer scores, Thunderbolt vs. internal)

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I have to concur here...I threw in the towel and purchased a Promise Pegasus R4 a while back I run two RAID 0 arrays and am also getting in excess of 300MPS. It's a lot more flexible, allows real time editing and although the snag is the cost if the thing, I can daisy chain in another larger unit if required. The NAS solution must work well for some, too many units are being sold for it not to, but I'm sold on the Thunderbolt array solution now.

I should have bought a USB one :(

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
With SSD prices on the decline, 512GB RAID SATA III with only TB at those prices is outrageous.

(never been a fan of LaCie "kwality")

Bought an external LaCie Titanium drive years ago.. lasted 14 months. Not learning my lesson the first time, I bought another external drive of theirs a few years later.. lasted 16 months. No more LaCie for me!!!!!!!

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I agree with Knuro, LaCie has proven to me to be less than reliable. I have four or five LaCie drive cases sitting around that failed, but I removed the drives, which were still functional, though I lost data because of LaCie's RAID. I think that it's the bridge board in them, but I've gone Rosewill and live with eSATA. I'd like to go Thunderbolt, but until I get a box for under $200 to put in my own drives, I see no need to move from eSATA.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It's a shame, I don't know what it is about LaCie products that has shown time and again their quality is lacking. I recall they used the infamous cursed Seagate HDD's with the firmware locking users out, but it seems more than third party components. Having opened many old LaCie units to use the internal HDD's, I was unimpressed with the industrial design. Yes, the aluminum is nice, but overall it was cumbersome and the internal components seemed to be assembled by a high school tech class.

EDIT: just read LorenK's post, funny, we're on the same page :)

Question: if Apple's current implementation of "TB" (aka "Light Peak") uses copper instead of fiber optics to cut down on costs, why are cables and drives so expensive? I can't imagine the controllers are that pricey, unless patents for third party developers are driving the costs in which case Apple would be slowing adoption and shooting themselves in the foot. If I were Apple and wanted to play it smart, I would assist third party vendors in producing affordable drives to push "TB", otherwise it may become another "FW" variant when it can be so much more.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Bring also the 2xThunderbolt and USB 3 for the single-drive versions of the LaCie d2 Quadra (4 TB, 7200 RPM) and LaCie Rugged (750 GB, 7200 RPM).

Rocketman

macrumors 603
WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo

Only Thunderbolt port, normal HDDs, user upgradable, no info on read/write speed

4Tb - USD 560.00
6Tb - USD 660.00
8Tb - USD 850.00

http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...arid.13092300/catid.55286600/themeID.21986300
mybookthunderbolt_05.jpg

The LaCie is almost 3x the real world transfer speed and less than 1/4 the capacity. That's what you are paying $100 more for. It's a near record speed for a portable content capture and edit device, not a long term storage device.

I am pretty sure the smallest lens the crew will use is about $5k, so this is trivial.

Rocketman

Last edited:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
They need to just start bringing out Thunderbolt enclosures people can fit their own drives in.

I see parallels with the Firewire drives using for audio and video...

The chipsets in those drives are Oxford firewire chipsets

The chip in Thunderbolt cables is an Oxford chip too.

They're both more expensive than either LAN or USB equivalents (But the Thunderbolt drives really take the expletive deleted).

There's no reason why a bare case would be more than £50 more than it's firewire equivalent and they're in the £90-130 mark.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
MacSales has a similar device, but with Firewire & USB ports instead of thunderbolt. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/RAID/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

A little more expensive, but bus powered, which is cool.

Look, the whole point of this is massive speed -- so fast that most people don't need it. When your playing and streaming and recording all kinds of video, this is a godsend. For once, Thunderbolt isn't LIMITED in speed by the medium you're using, but only by the connection. So those "professionals on the go" are the real, if limited market, and $1000 for a terabyte is quite all right, thank you.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
One of these days, all those low-cost thunderbolt peripherals (not shown here) will start to be widely known... One of these days... Based on some of these posts, people are still looking for them. It's rough to come up with an analogy for ignorance, but I tried, and failed, so didn't bother :). Heh.

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Would it really be that difficult to add usb3 to any of these TB drives? This is pissing me off. I don't want to choose between usb3 and TB. I want both.

I really don't see any reason why all of these drives offer TB only. That's assuming everyone has a new Mac already, along with the extra cash to buy all these expensive drives. Adding USB3 means that anyone with an older computer can actually connect this thing now, rather than needing to buy a new computer first. It seems this fact alone means that adding USB3 to these TB drives is in their best interest. Leaving these with TB alone is too limiting for connectivity issues at this time.

Have you seen the LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series?
-TL, LaCie

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Enough with the packaged thunderbolt raid boxes and just give us enclosure options.

Show me a 2x2.5" Thunderbolt enclosure I can thrown my own SSDs into, and show me it for a reasonable price(I'd pay 100-200 depending on additional connections & performance)

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
not sure if it is a fair comparison.
and for the 999 pricepoint, they should have at least considered adding a usb 2 port-yes, slow.
so what use is this disk for any other machine in this universe without tb?

--edit

let's put it in context
say the "on the go pro' hits a snag with his/hers TB enriched machine.
Now, all the "on the go pro" files are in the designed for the "creative pro on the go"-not-so-portable HDD frame, and no one in a 4 sq mile radius and two zip codes has a TB machine for you to transfer your files; to a usb drive for instance, so you can resume working on that project deadline elsewhere.

yup, no, no thanks

I'm not so sure you understand what this drive/purchase would be used for or by who. For me, and my business...this is a GodSend! No need to look through other zip codes...all of our Macs now have TB. Anything purchased in the past two years....and 2012 has USB 3 to boot

These drives are an excellent value...however, like others...I'm not a big fan of Lacie's quality. We've had some bad luck in the past with them. I actually prefer the OWC boxes and look forward to them putting together a decent RAID SSD box like this...at a thousand bucks as well. SSD storage right now is, for quality units...about a buck a gig. With the support cables and decent box, it's a deal.

As Rocketman mentioned...this is a small expense in the grand scheme. A sweet set of cinema primes is the price of a nice home

J

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
well i own 3 lacie little big disk t-bolt devices. I purchased them from macmall all refurbished. I pulled the 500gb hdds out of them sold them on ebay put in 256gb samsung ssds in two and just this week put in 512gb toshiba ssds in the third one.

so I have 2x 500gb raid0 boxes and 1 1tb raid0 box. total cost for all 3 was about 1700. I have 3 great booters fast and reliable, big.

I have had 2 of them for more then 7 months. the 1tb is only a few weeks old.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Until a reasonably priced thunderbolt enclosure comes out, I have no use for it.

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012

hi, if you haven't already spoken with our support staff then please give us a call or send us a ticket. This kind of behavior isn't normal and we can help figure out whats causing it and either resolve the problem or get you a new drive. ~mn, LaCie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.