Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
I just wanted to start a new thread for anybody who has been able to repair the scuffs on their anodized aluminum on the black 5. If you have used paint or black permanent marker to repair a ding or scratch please post pictures of how the phone looks now. Please also include what product you used. I think it would be good to have a separate thread since the other thread about scuffs is up to 162 pages and it’s mostly about returns and not repairs. Anyone tried this yet? Hopefully we can find a paint that is a close enough match so that people can touch up their iPhone if they want to.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I accidentally hit the bottom part of my 5 with my keys :( there's just a minor little scratch like dot. It's not a big deal but I can notice it. Hopefully I will fix it after hearing about other people's success stories.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Lookin like a sharpie marker is gonna be your best bet lol. perhaps a "skin" of some sort to cover it up.

I doubt they have a paint that will match perfectly and not flake off or look worse than a scratch (when applied by hand).

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Forget it. You can try, but it'll never look as good as before. Fixing anodized aluminium is extremely complicated if possible at all and it demands sophisticated machining involved and a qualified worker.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Somebody in the other thread said they tried this and it worked pretty well
http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Super-Black-Gun-Touch/dp/B0049Q5JX4

They never would post pics so its hard to say if it really happened.

I think the glossy would work for the slanted edges but wouldn't work on the flat areas. The edge seems to be the only glossy area. I think the flat would look bad on the sides and back.

Last edited:

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
here is what everybody with scuff issues need! just found them from using them on my iP4 :D

Attachments

• Photo Oct 08, 8 30 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 08, 8 30 28 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,382

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Found the first pictures of a permanent marker repair here. https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15999436&posted=1#post15999436

Had mine less than 24hrs & already there's 5+ nicks on the top front edge. Hasn't even left the house yet & I've been handling it like a newborn baby!

I know they're only small, but I dread to think how it'll be after a few months use..

Just touched it up with a Sharpie. Not perfect, but definitely catches your eye less..

Ridiculous that this has to be done at all though!

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Be interested if anyone tries the anodised aluminium touch up pen. Looks like it would be suitable. Just unsure how dark it would be against the slate colour on iPhone..

G-Wood

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Greenwood, IN
I've used the Birchwood Casey touch up pens on anodized aluminum gun frames, and it can help in certain circumstances. The key with those pens is to get a good clean surface (oil free), which on a gun requires a degreaser or alcohol to really get it clean. I think alcohol would be the best choice for the iPhone. I always apply the touch up, let it dry slightly, and then buff with my finger to try and blend. Decent cover but be prepared to do it over and over, it’s not going to last.

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I've used the Birchwood Casey touch up pens on anodized aluminum gun frames, and it can help in certain circumstances. The key with those pens is to get a good clean surface (oil free), which on a gun requires a degreaser or alcohol to really get it clean. I think alcohol would be the best choice for the iPhone. I always apply the touch up, let it dry slightly, and then buff with my finger to try and blend. Decent cover but be prepared to do it over and over, it’s not going to last.

Thanks for the info. Do you think the Matt black will match?

G-Wood

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Thanks for the info. Do you think the Matt black will match?

I have a white iPhone, but if the pictures are accurate you might need gloss and flat. It looks like the edges are shiny and the flats are more matte. I can tell you the gloss isn't super shiny and when you blend it with your finger it kind of knocks the shine off a little more.

Keep in mind that my experience is with gun finishes, and it might act differently on the iphone. What you need to understand is that anodization isn't just coloring, it increases the oxidation layer on the aluminum. So, it's just going to color in the flaw and not fill it. For a small mark this will probably be better than leaving it alone, but for a big area/chunk you'll still see the flaw.

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I have a white iPhone, but if the pictures are accurate you might need gloss and flat. It looks like the edges are shiny and the flats are more matte. I can tell you the gloss isn't super shiny and when you blend it with your finger it kind of knocks the shine off a little more.

Keep in mind that my experience is with gun finishes, and it might act differently on the iphone. What you need to understand is that anodization isn't just coloring, it increases the oxidation layer on the aluminum. So, it's just going to color in the flaw and not fill it. For a small mark this will probably be better than leaving it alone, but for a big area/chunk you'll still see the flaw.

My flaws are tiny & are on the top front (matte) surface. Do you think I should go for gloss or matte?

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Useful information received from Birchwood Casey regarding their touch up products..

The Birchwood Casey Black Touch up pen is essentially a paint pen. It has a chisel end, and once the ink starts flowing it comes out in little puddles of ink.
I am assuming that the area that you need to touch up is small, and we think that it might be too much ink.
We do make a product called the Universal Touch Up pen # 13202 It is very similar to a Sharpie marker, but it is industrial strength.
It can be used on nearly all material, metals, plastic, textiles.as a touch up or a permanent marker. It is a flat black marker ink.
I checked around, and no one here has an IPhone 5 so I couldn’t test out to see if the color is an exact match.
I have inserted a picture of the pen below.

gy4ytuve.jpg

Allegrotechie

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
I just wanted to start a new thread for anybody who has been able to repair the scuffs on their anodized aluminum on the black 5. If you have used paint or black permanent marker to repair a ding or scratch please post pictures of how the phone looks now. Please also include what product you used. I think it would be good to have a separate thread since the other thread about scuffs is up to 162 pages and it’s mostly about returns and not repairs. Anyone tried this yet? Hopefully we can find a paint that is a close enough match so that people can touch up their iPhone if they want to.
Tapped it with a sharpie and then rubbed off the excess. Looks great

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Useful information received from Birchwood Casey regarding their touch up products..

The Birchwood Casey Black Touch up pen is essentially a paint pen. It has a chisel end, and once the ink starts flowing it comes out in little puddles of ink.
I am assuming that the area that you need to touch up is small, and we think that it might be too much ink.
We do make a product called the Universal Touch Up pen # 13202 It is very similar to a Sharpie marker, but it is industrial strength.
It can be used on nearly all material, metals, plastic, textiles.as a touch up or a permanent marker. It is a flat black marker ink.
I checked around, and no one here has an IPhone 5 so I couldn’t test out to see if the color is an exact match.
I have inserted a picture of the pen below.

Interesting. I'm glad you found that out so I know not to just use the pen. I think I will put a little puddle on a plate and then use a toothpick to apply it so I don't get too much paint on the phone. I'm sure we will see some company in the next couple of months come out with an iPhone 5 repair kit with the right color and tools to fix up the black iPhone. They could probably make some good money off it.

----------

Tapped it with a sharpie and then rubbed off the excess. Looks great

Sweet. If you get a chance to post pics I would love to see them.

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
As another two marks have magically appeared today, I've just moaned loudly to Apple online & they've agreed to send me a brand new replacement.

If I have the same issues with that one, I'll reluctantly have to swap for the white model. My OCD will do my head in otherwise!

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
As another two marks have magically appeared today, I've just moaned loudly to Apple online & they've agreed to send me a brand new replacement.

If I have the same issues with that one, I'll reluctantly have to swap for the white model. My OCD will do my head in otherwise!

I got a replacement from Apple care and it looked worst than my first one. I haven’t put any new dings in the one I got on 9/21 but the two that came on it out of the box really bother me. I’m trying to wait for the store to get some more so I can go in there and exchange for a new one. The genius at the store told me they would do a full retail exchange as soon as they get some more stock in.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Somebody in the other thread said they tried this and it worked pretty well
http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Super-Black-Gun-Touch/dp/B0049Q5JX4

They never would post pics so its hard to say if it really happened.

I think the glossy would work for the slanted edges but wouldn't work on the flat areas. The edge seems to be the only glossy area. I think the flat would look bad on the sides and back.

Tried this.. .didnt stick to the phones antenna band at all. Went on well, dried, then rubbed right off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.