Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Hipsters are gonna freak if they can't wear their jeans skin tight for fear of bending their phone. Now they won't be able to kill millions of sperm and walk around with their scrotum in their abdominal cavity.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
Hipsters are gonna freak if they can't wear their jeans skin tight for fear of bending their phone. Now they won't be able to kill millions of sperm and walk around with their scrotum in their abdominal cavity.

LOL. We'll be able to see the 10 degree bend in their iPhone thanks to their skinny jeans! It will be like an acute triangle sticking out of their pockets.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Those are due to defective anodizing coating. You're implying there's another issue on top of defective anodizing coating and that's the use of the softer aluminum. The latter has to be across the board but the fact that many of us still have flawless iPhone 5 free of dents argues against the softer aluminum being a culprit.

And you're assuming that the same grade of aluminum is being used in all the iPhones.
Not a safe bet with multiple factories in multiple countries involved.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
And you're assuming that the same grade of aluminum is being used in all the iPhones.
Not a safe bet with multiple factories in multiple countries involved.

I don't think Apple is dumb enough to use different grades of anodized aluminum that may be more or less susceptible to wear and tear. I'm betting the ones that are rubbing off like crazy within a few days actually have defective anodizing coating.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
these phones cannot just be bending by putting them in a pocket!, doesn't anyone think Apple does a little bit of testing on the strength of the things?, i'v got a Galaxy S3 which is near as dammit the same thickness, always in my back jeans pocket, no case, and the thing doesn't even look used yet alone bent!!, i suppose i could say to all you Samsung haters "cheap crap plastic"...hmm yep but it doesn't bend!!...but i'm not into all that childish rubbish, all i'm going to say is that a company like Apple would never ever release a product with such a really obvious design fault, if someone has managed to bend one they have either purposely done it or had it in their back pocket and be 30st and bent it getting in and out of all those really healthy restaurant Mcdonalds seats!!!

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
I don't think Apple is dumb enough to use different grades of anodized aluminum that may be more or less susceptible to wear and tear. I'm betting the ones that are rubbing off like crazy within a few days actually have defective anodizing coating.

I don't think Apple is dumb enough to replace a fully working Maps app with one that doesn't. Wait, oops....

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
haha yup. Also, not sitting down with it in your front pocket.

So it's the users fault for carrying their phone in their pocket. I mean who does that?! That's just crazy talk... carrying a phone in your pocket! They're not designed for that!!!! ;)

Austintylerl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
UPDATE
went to apple store, genius was speechless and the phone was replaced. Didn't even have to use my AppleCare!

Bbkbbk12

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
The same exact thing happened to my iPhone 5. And I was wearing sports shorts. I had a pretty hardcore case on it. My volume buttons got stuck so I pulled off my case... And sure enough it was bent. About just as much as the picture you put up.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
The same exact thing happened to my iPhone 5. And I was wearing sports shorts. I had a pretty hardcore case on it. My volume buttons got stuck so I pulled off my case... And sure enough it was bent. About just as much as the picture you put up.
...I like the phone. Just wanted to see if I'm the only one.
Apparently not.

I'd just as soon have a heavier phone due to stronger metal than a bendable iPhone.
smiliepalm.gif

snowtrooper1966

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Clarksburg, WV
Thinner glass and thinner metal band is going to make the phone more prone to bending. Just look at how little metal there is left on the band where the button for volume is located. It is why is never carry in my pocket.:cool:

What "band" are folks talking about?
The 5 is a unibody (picture a bathtub) made from milled aluminum. There is no band around the perimeter like the 4/4S.....

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
What "band" are folks talking about?
The 5 is a unibody (picture a bathtub) made from milled aluminum. There is no band around the perimeter like the 4/4S.....

Picture a unibody bathtub with two big holes in the bottom on opposite sides and filled in with glass. You have two big over hanging loops on both ends that only have a little bit of material holding them all. They are in essence unsupported levers, which is a design flaw with the amount of material Apple is using here.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
UPDATE
went to apple store, genius was speechless and the phone was replaced. Didn't even have to use my AppleCare!
This is the main reason I opted for a new 4S over the 5. I played with the 5 at ATT and damn, that thing felt delicate. Too light and too thin. I work a lot with my phone in my pocket and I would never trust this thing not to bend. Apple has definately gone too far with it's obsession with thin.

So, great. Get a new, thin, light iPhone 5, but make sure you put it in a huge, heavy case to protect it. Am I the only one that sees the stupidity in this?

(there's even another thread where a guy's iPhone 5 got hot and came out of his Otterbox case warped.)

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
This is the main reason I opted for a new 4S over the 5. I played with the 5 at ATT and damn, that thing felt delicate. Too light and too thin. I work a lot with my phone in my pocket and I would never trust this thing not to bend. Apple has definately gone too far with it's obsession with thin.

So, great. Get a new, thin, light iPhone 5, but make sure you put it in a huge, heavy case to protect it. Am I the only one that sees the stupidity in this?

(there's even another thread where a guy's iPhone 5 got hot and came out of his Otterbox case warped.)

Wish Apple would, but don't think they will ever go back to the same thickness of the iPhone 4S. I agree completely that thin is really not the way to go that causes the phone to bend even if its just slightly or we have to be even more careful with it. iPhone 4S was not heavy at all, and if Apple could build a better longer lasting battery within the same thickness of the iphone 4 that would be a plus.

----------

Apple: Please learn a lesson and stop trying to match the thin Android phones. Most of us like a solid smartphone next time around

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Yes Apple. They just got lucky the problem is only isolated to a few hundred people for now. But when other peoples phone start bending expect "bend-gate"

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Yes Apple. They just got lucky the problem is only isolated to a few hundred people for now. But when other peoples phone start bending expect "bend-gate"

keep in mind there are many others suffering this problem that don't go onto forums to complain...my sister is one of them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.