Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Update 8:29 AM: IHNED.cz's Otakar Schon has followed up to let us know that there was a miscommunication with the Microsoft representatives and that the timeline for an Office release on iOS and Android is "after March".

Why not just say "not today" or "after 2012".

What a joke. Not that I expect I would be the market for it, but that isn't just late to the party, that's after the party has gone to a new location. "Hey, where is everyone?"

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Why not just say "not today" or "after 2012".

What a joke. Not that I expect I would be the market for it, but that isn't just late to the party, that's after the party has gone to a new location. "Hey, where is everyone?"
When companies become gargantuan they tend to become lazy and complacent, with little incentive or pressure to tend to their minor sources of revenue. You know, like Apple has started doing with Macs now. iMac and Mac Mini haven't been updated in ages and Mac Pro has not seen a major update since dinosaurs walked the Earth. Logic Pro 9 is ancient and sports an Aqua-style UI that Apple left behind almost 2 years ago. It's 2012 and the latest iWork is called '09. Shall I go on?

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Ah, I guess they are waiting on the iPad 4 in March.

The cynic in me would suggest that it would be just in time to only work with the Newer-than-the-last-new-iPad (iPad 4).

But then I suppose this is MS 2012 and not Apple (the we [used to] pride ourselves on backward compatibility hypocrites) we are talking about here.

Anyway..., looking forward to MS office on iPad, sorry Pages but you are not Word... Fingers crossed App Store approval guidelines allow it to work on my then to be 'old' iPad 3... :rolleyes:

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
I can't imagine how this can beat iWork with its iCloud integration.

Really?

The iOS apps will integrate with Skydrive, through which on the web you can already create and edit Office documents. So the Microsoft solution will allow you to work on the same documents through your Mac, PC, web browser or mobile app and share them with anybody.

The Apple office suite is looking more and more dated. They need a web based app, they need PC versions and they need to bring back iDisk. I've just dumped iWork for Google (Driver) / Microsoft (Skydrive), the web apps are fine for my needs and the extra features are very useful.

Not sure Office apps are really needed for iOS, the web based apps available through outlook.com / Skydrive are pretty good. If you haven't tried them you should.

Last edited:

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I quit working at shoprite and now I make $35h - $80h...how? I'm working online! My work didn't exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn't be happier. Heres what I do, http://bit.ly/PmN05i

I just quit my job this second too on the basis of your spamming. Who says spamming does not work? :rolleyes:

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Even on a computer there are better options that are free and pre-installed. I don't understand this addiction to Word.

Thanks for the info.

On the quoted part: I assume it is because everyone uses it. All of my professors demand either .doc, .docx, or .pdf for my assignments.

So it is more the fact that it is the "standard"

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Users don't want Microsoft apps on their Apple devices. They want the total integrated solutions such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

Speak for yourself and not everyone else. There are a ton of users that want Office on their iOS devices.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Will Microsoft put Access database software into the OSX version of MS Office 2013?

Access was introduced 19 years ago. If they've gone this long without porting it to OSX and its predecessors, why would they start now.

Apple should come out with iWork for Windows like how they did iTunes, Quicktime, and Safari. Oh wait, those products are terrible on Windows.

Some of them are terrible on any platform! :p

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I know the pricing scheme from a very good source:

iOS Office 2013 for students: $199
iOS Office 2013 for home: $299
iOS Office 2013 Professional: $399
iOS Office 2013 Even more professional: $499
iOS Office 2013 Ultimate Signature Edition: $599

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thanks for the info.

On the quoted part: I assume it is because everyone uses it. All of my professors demand either .doc, .docx, or .pdf for my assignments.

So it is more the fact that it is the "standard"

A vast majority of people don't need Word or Excel, but when you _do_ need it, nothing else is a substitute.

If you're not writing 100+ page tech docs with complex layouts, external data sources, etc., most of the lower cost/free options will save out to a portable format (PDF, RTF).

Numbers vs. Excel is probably the most lopsided comparison, Numbers isn't even in the ballpark for many folks, but I think there's probably a larger contingent of "power users" on Excel vs. Word (just due to the nature of the usage).

I've tried a few of the OpenSource forks, Apple products, etc., but I just run into limitations or feature compatibility issues.

However, I totally dig on Keynote, and prefer it over PP (and generally don't need portability or the collaborator is using it) :)

faizanshakyboy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Islamabad
There was ZERO chance of Office for iOS shipping in November. It's release would crush sales of the MS Surface and other Windows Tablet devices. And you can bet it will be closer to an MS Office Document Viewer and only support editing documents in a minimal fashion, to validate Ballmers view of iPads as being consumer devices.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'll still use Pages. I haven't touched MS Office in 4 years.
You must never need to interact with the rest of the world then. That said, if you need garage sale fliers and Lost Dog posters then Apple Pages is the tool to use.

eliminates the single biggest advantage Windows RT tablets have against the iPad..
Strange, isn't it? :confused: I even swore on my wife's dust-gathering iPad that MS would never do this. Then again, perhaps the profit margins per copy of MS-iOffice are higher than that of a surface tablet?

Still doesn't make sense to me. I'll believe it when I see it.

Edit:

Update 10:51 AM: Microsoft head of PR Frank X. Shaw released this statement on Twitter:
The information shared by our Czech Republic subsidiary is not accurate. We have nothing further to share.

LOL.

Last edited:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
My guess is that this is a backup should Microsoft Surface flop. They probably want to have something ready to let Office continue to compete in the tablet space, but should Surface do well they won't release it.

At least, that's what a smart Microsoft would do. They also would keep it a better secret or the plan won't work.

----------

A vast majority of people don't need Word or Excel, but when you _do_ need it, nothing else is a substitute.

If you're not writing 100+ page tech docs with complex layouts, external data sources, etc., most of the lower cost/free options will save out to a portable format (PDF, RTF).

Numbers vs. Excel is probably the most lopsided comparison, Numbers isn't even in the ballpark for many folks, but I think there's probably a larger contingent of "power users" on Excel vs. Word (just due to the nature of the usage).

I've tried a few of the OpenSource forks, Apple products, etc., but I just run into limitations or feature compatibility issues.

However, I totally dig on Keynote, and prefer it over PP (and generally don't need portability or the collaborator is using it) :)

What exactly is missing from Numbers? I hear people slate it all the time, but what is it that they want from it? It seems it do the job for me.

gatelylaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Microsoft Just Sold another 15" Retina MBP

I was waiting to see if this Word for the iPad would ever see the light of day and, if it did, whether or not it would allow redlining on the iPad. If they did, I was going to go to a desktop and shed my laptop using the iPad as my laptop. Pages won't Redline. Docs to Go won't redline. CloudOn will, but it is painfully slow and cumbersome.

Bottom line, I got sick of waiting on Microsoft and bought a new 15" retina MBP so I can work outside of the office and review and revise documents in redline format. This is about the only reason I have to use Word, but until Pages does it or some other word processor for the Mac or iPad does it, I'll keep using Word for Mac.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
When companies become gargantuan they tend to become lazy and complacent, with little incentive or pressure to tend to their minor sources of revenue. You know, like Apple has started doing with Macs now. iMac and Mac Mini haven't been updated in ages and Mac Pro has not seen a major update since dinosaurs walked the Earth. Logic Pro 9 is ancient and sports an Aqua-style UI that Apple left behind almost 2 years ago. It's 2012 and the latest iWork is called '09. Shall I go on?

While I agree that Apple has too become complacent in many areas, Microsoft could make significant $$ at $10-15 per application for Word, Excel, PowerPoint on iOS. With the sheer volume that it would induce, they have been throwing away revenue not releasing it.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
It says "Reportedly" confirmed on the Verge site. Considering its from the Czech Microsoft representative and not Microsoft directly I'm doubting the validity of the claim.

Also selling it on iOS & Android might take away sales from Surface tablet and WinRT OS as its going to be free on those, another negative on that.

My guess is that this is a backup should Microsoft Surface flop. They probably want to have something ready to let Office continue to compete in the tablet space, but should Surface do well they won't release it.

Was thinking this too...They also make most sales on business and enterprise so I'm not totally discounting a possibility MS Office going to iOS & Android.

shulerg

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
Apple needs to get serious about iWork. I would gladly switch if the suite they're offering was truly competitive with Office.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Update #5: Czech Microsoft rep looking for a new job this afternoon.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
seriously March 2013 ? :D

When will Microsoft realize that there will be soon more iPad users over the past 3 years than PC owners over the last 10 years ? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.