Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
I have attempted use the phone for couple weeks now with no great improvement. I love the phone, but My Ears hurt/throb after using. Going home from work last night on highway I notice right away. It so bothersome have to hold phone away from ear to avoid issue. Its like driving down the road with one window open or putting your ear up to a sea shell. I can only determin thats its noice cancellation going on?? I tried using my Iphone 4 again and no pain in ears. I hate to return, but dont think software issue would fix it. Anyone else having this issue to the extreem of painful ear drum

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I have attempted use the phone for couple weeks now with no great improvement. I love the phone, but My Ears hurt/throb after using. Going home from work last night on highway I notice right away. It so bothersome have to hold phone away from ear to avoid issue. Its like driving down the road with one window open or putting your ear up to a sea shell. I can only determin thats its noice cancellation going on?? I tried using my Iphone 4 again and no pain in ears. I hate to return, but dont think software issue would fix it. Anyone else having this issue to the extreem of painful ear drum

A headset may have fixed that up for you.

I haven't noticed anything on mine today.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to talk and drive at the same time without using a hands free device.

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
A headset may have fixed that up for you.

I haven't noticed anything on mine today.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to talk and drive at the same time without using a hands free device.

Never gotten used to wearing a headset while driving. The calls are not even that long, but still notice the pain in ears. Might have to try headset if wanting to keep the phone

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Does it only bother you when you are driving? The road noise may be making you turn up the volume too much. A BT headset would definitely help if that is the case.

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Does it only bother you when you are driving? The road noise may be making you turn up the volume too much. A BT headset would definitely help if that is the case.

Only notice it when niose gets really loud mostly in the car.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I notice it much more when I press the phone hard against my ear ... it's like it forms an airtight seal. If I relax the pressure on the phone a little, the problem gets much better.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
This would be an important factor for me. I have a fairly loud car. I can see that noise cancellation really bothering me. I just couldn't get into using a headset either. My calls usually aren't that long, and I don't like to be bothered with keeping up with another device.

Definitely something for me to keep in mind before buying

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How is the noise cancellation a problem? I find myself able to hear the other person a lot better. It basically seems to reject all extraneous audio.. How the heck can silence hurt your ears?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
How is the noise cancellation a problem? I find myself able to hear the other person a lot better. It basically seems to reject all extraneous audio.. How the heck can silence hurt your ears?

Not everyone's ears are the same.

I personally don't hear anything, but some people can notice it right away.

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I has this problem with my first iPhone 5. It was causing me terrible headaches and I hated talking on the phone.

I took it to the Genius bar, and had it replaced. Have not experienced the issue at all with my replacement. Just my 2 cents.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
OP: How about you use a headset and KEEP YOUR FREAKIN' HANDS ON THE WHEEL.

As a motorcyclist who has been in 3 life threatening near-misses this year all from drivers TALKING OR TEXTING this is a pet peeve.

----------

Possibly the anti-noise that's used in cancellation is slightly out of phase. This is a problem with certain NC headphones and SAAB propjets which use active NC.

offcamber

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
USA
This is bizarre.
I had pain in my left ear after a 15 min conversation on my new 5.
I had never experienced that discomfort while using the 4S.
Volume was not too loud though it may have been pressed too tightly to my ear.

ctopctop

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
R

I found this because my new (awesome) phone does the same thing. My ear hurts very badly while talking on it just like Bose noise canceling earphones do. I wanted you to know there are others. A word to those who said that cant happen - maybe you are wrong. The word to the motorcycle guy - find another place to complain that is relevant to the conversation. I have the same issues with phone use. There are other places with background noise other than cars. I use a BT headset while driving and I am still dealing with this issue.

Last edited:

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Ive noticed when i press the iPhone against my ear hard i get the "can" effect, but when i hold it not completely against my ear (which is how i normally hold it) its fine.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
What's more amazing is that some states still allow talking and texting on a hand held device while driving! Statistics show it is much safer to drink and drive. :eek:

Use bluetooth, headphones or anything else. Problem solved.

Mwagner

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
I had the same issue, but not only when driving. Terrible pain after only short time on phone and after! Tried 2 new phones, same problem. Had to downgrade to 4s. Guys at apple store thought it may have something to do with the extra magnet in the new speaker and there not being a filter. Very disappointing.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
The issue is that Apple did not use the same noise-cancelling chipset they had in other handsets. It's not a fault but they way they designed the 5. They have gone for a in-house solution this time.

Call quality on the iphone 5 is better on Sprint then Verizon.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I have no trouble with using my phone while driving. Actually, the 5 is way better then the 4. I had to turn my radio off in order to talk in the car.

For those getting on your high horse, talking is perfectly legal in most states, why is talking on my phone any different than talking to my passenger? Quit telling me what I can do in my own damn car!

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Never gotten used to wearing a headset while driving. The calls are not even that long, but still notice the pain in ears. Might have to try headset if wanting to keep the phone

Well let us know if you get used to drinking through a straw when you break your jaw by talking and driving at the same time..

Be smart and use a headset.

I have NEVER heard of this complaint before.. not to say it's not a real complaint.. but it's unusual. To each their own.

Amyfl85

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Wow I'm so happy to find that I am not the only one with this iPhone 5 problem! Ever since the first day of using my phone my right ear hurts so much and has ear aches. I'm also having terrible headaches. I tried using my phone in just my left ear and it does the same. A strange hollow type sound and piercing in my ear. It's been about a month that I've had my phone and It is still doing this and get a headache almost every day if I don't use my ear buds. It's terrible.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Have not had this problem, even on calls that last over an hour. In the car the connects via BT with the car's audio system and a microphone in the rearview mirror.

This doesn't help those who have an issue. Just pointing out it is not a universal problem.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Fairly easy way to know if you're going to have this problem with the iphone 5 before buying is if you have this problem with noise canceling headphones. It's not a foolproof way, because some manufacturers use different frequencies etc. in their noise canceling headphones, but if you have a problem with them, you're likely to have it with the 5. If not, then probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.