Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i'm.huMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I am aware that older iPod touch was not capable of displaying the battery percentage. Hoping that this is not the case for the fifth-gen iPod touch.

Can those who've received theirs please answer this?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I had the battery percentage on the 4th gen touch, you just needed to jailbreak to get it.

God knows why Apple disabled it in the first place!

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
It's no a phone so Apple decided people don't need battery percantage on the go. It can be toggled in a jailbroken iPod touch anyways... I agree it should be on by default. Apple's strategy is weird sometimes...

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
There's no option for it in settings, because Apple thinks users dont want to know how much battery life they have left. This is one of the absolute dumbest differentiations they make between the iPhone line and the Touch. Just an absolute stupid omission.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
There's no option for it in settings, because Apple thinks users dont want to know how much battery life they have left. This is one of the absolute dumbest differentiations they make between the iPhone line and the Touch. Just an absolute stupid omission.

I agree. Instead, we rely on an icon that gives and approximate instead of an actual number. There is no reason why it should be this way.

Scipod

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I am using the product red 5g right now. No battery percentage but you will definatly want this iPod it's phenomenal

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Fun fact: if you had a jailbroken iPod touch before and enabled the battery percentage, restore your new one from a backup of the old one. If you restore from a backup of that iPod, even if the new one isn't jailbroken, you'll get the battery percentage back.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Fun fact: if you had a jailbroken iPod touch before and enabled the battery percentage, restore your new one from a backup of the old one. If you restore from a backup of that iPod, even if the new one isn't jailbroken, you'll get the battery percentage back.

Would that work if I restored the same iPod that way?

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Would that work if I restored the same iPod that way?

As long as your backup was made when battery percentage was enabled, you can restore any iPod (on at least the same version of iOS or higher) from that backup and it will keep your battery percentage enabled. My iPod touch 4th gen has battery percentage enabled without a jailbreak because my second gen from years ago did and I've been using the same backups.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
As long as your backup was made when battery percentage was enabled, you can restore any iPod (on at least the same version of iOS or higher) from that backup and it will keep your battery percentage enabled. My iPod touch 4th gen has battery percentage enabled without a jailbreak because my second gen from years ago did and I've been using the same backups.

Sweetness, thank you!

Last question, does it show up as a toggle in settings, or is it just on?

Raidriar

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012

wow I had no idea! I'll be getting the 5G soon and my old ipod is jailbroken and I'll definitely be restoring from backup to get my old photos/vids back. If I get the percentage back I'll be a happy camper :)

ttyyuu12345

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Ipod 5g

I just got a Ipod 5th generation for christmas. I had a 2nd Generation and it was jailbroken at one time so it kept the battery percentage on the 2nd. Once i restored the 5th with the 2nd's backup i kept the battery percentage on it to. I hope Apple doesnt think i Jailbroke it if something goes wrong.:)

electrodude1029

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
That is one thing that drives me crazy. It doesn't show the battery percentage and so I don't know when to charge my IPT5 or when to unplug it.

----------

How To Tell How Much Battery Life You Have On The Ipod Touch NO JAILBREAK
Look up this video on Youtube. It is really useful and doesn't require jailbreaking. Its free too.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Download battery doctor. It's free and show the exact % of how much battery is left. It showed the same percent in the app ass next to the battery on my iPhone ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356674181.801540.jpg

M4TT

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Champaign, IL
That is one thing that drives me crazy. It doesn't show the battery percentage and so I don't know when to charge my IPT5 or when to unplug it.

You can usually tell when to unplug it by looking at the battery icon on the statusbar. If it has a little electrical plug, then it's fully charged. If it still has a lightning bolt, then that means it's still charging.

Selyggg

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
I def think that they need to put the following on the IPT5G: mute button(holding the "volume down" button would be fine as well) battery percentage option, and auto brightness!

Other than that I LOVE!!!! My IPT5G

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
I def think that they need to put the following on the IPT5G: mute button(holding the "volume down" button would be fine as well) battery percentage option, and auto brightness!

They removed auto brightness because they said the iPod was too small for the sensor

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth

I agree with the mute button, even the ipad has it. Battery percent? Yep, that too. Auto brightness? I'm fine sticking with my auto brightness 4th gen iPod for another year :)

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
I agree. Also, why can't we have the date with time on the display screen. However, I do not want to jail break just for these features. They're easy for Apple to do.

The iPod Touch 5G doesn't display date and time on the screen?

Do you mean the lock screen where you slide to open?

Or the status bar, the line across the top of the screen?

I'd just as soon not see the date and time all the time, so if the IPT 5G doesn't have those, that's a plus in my book.

(Of course, it should be an option for everybody which way they'd like it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.