Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cennix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I really want my iPhone 5 to be naked, it looks so much nicer and it takes advantage of the actual weight of the phone. Anyone who has no case and is completely fine with it?

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I really want my iPhone 5 to be naked, it looks so much nicer and it takes advantage of the actual weight of the phone. Anyone who has no case and is completely fine with it?

As long as you can handle the fact that it will get nicks and scratches on it over a couple years, it is perfectly capable of handling the world naked. Mine is naked right now while I wait for my grove case to come in, it's fine.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio

I keep mine in a holster on my belt at work and keep it in a form fitting leather pouch when I keep it in my pocket.

It's naked, but constantly shielded lol.

Ctguy

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
My phone is always naked since iPhone 1, 3G, 4,4S,5. Never had any scratches

findwaldonow

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
I don't think it's the few scuffs and scratches that get me to buy a case, but instead the unforeseen freak accident drop on pavement that could really damage it. I can see myself dropping this thing once over the course of a couple of years and really putting a good gouge in it that will affect the feel and shape of the phone more than a small scratch, if not ruin it completely. I'm doing what i did with the 4 because of the glass: getting a case for day to day transport, running, going out, etc that snaps on and off easily, incase makes one. Then, when I'm at work or at home for the weekend I take the phone out and use the case as a pad for it so it's not scratching against tables and whatnot. This may rub the finish off of the corners but helps possibly prevent the massive freak accident that I tend to be concerned about.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011

Yup, black launch day 5 with no damage here.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
My 4S was in a lifeproof case ... No cases at launch and my 5 is naked .. Some scratches (minor minor on silver logo) but really liking it "naked" ... May just get a zagg film for it. Would miss being able to do underwater pics though like with the life proofcase.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why does everyone think this is something special? Don't want to use a case, don't use a case. You just have to be more careful with how you handle it.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

I don't know why people like to cover up such a beautiful device. I don't understand the strange need to "protect" the back and sides from scratches, etc... What is the point of protecting it from scratches, if you never even see the surface that would possibly be scratched anyway? It's just so pointless to me. Nobody drives around with protective cases on their car to avoid scratches.

So for me, no case, no screen protectors, nothing... Out of the box and into my pocket. So far I have one tiny scratch on the little bottom glass part on the back, not sure how it got there and no big deal though.

I did the same with my iPhone 4 and it only ended up with very minimal scratches on the back, and two fine scratches on the front from accidental contact with keys.

I keep my phone in my "5th pocket" of my jeans.

msommy

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
A long time ago I bought this device called a Zune.....well before I knew what I was doing with my life. Well....this Zune came with a velvet like sock to protect it and I keep my Iphone 5 in that. So it sits in my pocket and when I want to use I just pull the phone out. Not too much of a hassle at all. And it keeps the phone the way it should be used...naked. Show it off and enjoy the fact that it is slim and light.

However, a case is a great thing to have. When I had my Iphone 4 I had a cases but sick of using them and went naked on the phone. Then I dropped it from lap when getting out of the car in a parking lot and the bottom of glass cracked.

So........it is truly up to you. But you should find a way to protect it somehow.

cennix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
My decision is to keep it naked, the phone looks so much better without a case but i just get worried if i drop it, whatever ill take my chances ;)

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
You can keep it naked but somewhat protected (especially from keys and change and stuff in your pockets) if you use an invisi-shield type film cover such as the awesome stuff they do at http://www.FusionOfIdeas.com.

I always get the clear on the front and back, and then I get the brushed aluminum or matte black on the sides (depending on whatever matches original on the device). Can't even tell it has anything on it. Both sides and the edges cost me $37 installed (with lifetime replacement guarantee if it ever peels or bubbles).

Hope this helps.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Going completely naked since launch day just keeping it in my pocket. I bought AppleCare + and I've got no worries. Yeah I got a small ding on the corner after a less than two foot drop on concrete but the silver didn't even shine through. Can barely tell its there.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This phone is gorgeous. I have a few nicks on it, but so what. It's not going to stay flawless, and the feel of it without a case on it is worth not covering it up. Things scratch or get flaws. Such is life.

JoyceLambir

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I can see myself dropping this thing once over the course of a couple of years and really putting a good gouge in it that will affect the feel and shape of the phone more than a small scratch
a102.jpg

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Was naked the first week then put a case on it, took of the case today. Definitely returning the case because I'd rather have the phone naked. Feels so much better.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
The phone is much nicer naked, but I just couldn't deal with the consequences of an accidental drop.

I've dropped phones in the past (and I am an extremely cautious person with my phone) and they were always saved by the case (especially with a lip around the screen). They probably wouldn't have cracked from the drops, but they definitely would have been scratched/scraped.

Accidents happen, and by definition are unavoidable even if you can reduce the chances of one happening. If you can deal with cosmetic blemishes, then by all means go for it.

I also like having a case so I don't have to be super-careful every time I lay the phone down on the table.

IMDeus

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
First, figure out if you can afford to replace it if it breaks. This is a major factor and will be different for some. If you cannot then I would put it in a case. If you can't then maybe get AppleCare+ and carry it without. If you do decide to carry naked I highly suggest the ZaggHD full body. I love this naked

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i currently have ghost armor on it but I am not happy with it .. i think i am going to take it off and just go naked iphone .. i have applecare+ so i have two replacements .. so im not worried

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
As long as you can handle the fact that it will get nicks and scratches on it over a couple years, it is perfectly capable of handling the world naked. Mine is naked right now while I wait for my grove case to come in, it's fine.

a couple of years? LOL. I thought people upgrade every time the new version release. :D

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Anyone with no case and completely fine with it either accepts inevitable wear and tear on their phone, or they have altered their carry habits that place the phone on a pedestal, coddling it as though it were a Fabergé Egg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.