Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I activated the phone with Cricket in the US already and I brought it to the UK. That's when it didn't work and kept saying "Searching..." when I put in the Vodafone UK SIM card.

I then restored the phone and went through the setup and activation process. That's when I experienced the same issues.

Will be going to Vodafone and check with them. Will also try other networks here.

Last resort, I will be taking it to my Apple store for them to diagnose it.

Any news?

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I've tried an O2 SIM and that doesn't work either. Vodafone don't seem to be very helpful as they recommended that I speak to Cricket or Apple.

I have an appointment with Apple this Friday. Can't get any sooner appointments.

:mad:thanks man! Hope s miracle will come that day!

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
What is Cricket's stance on this? Can you try calling them and asking what the specific process is in order to use an international GSM network?

I called them and was told that the iPhone 5 is not supposed to work overseas. I said that I was told I can use it outside US because it's international unlocked, then the representative told me that I need to go to a local carrier for unlocking the device. I was confused with that how can another carrier unlock a device from Cricket... And I asked this question, this time the CSR told me that I need to go to a Cricket store close to me, to see whether they can flash the device to unlock it. Ha... I took this answer as a shifting off manner... Called the local store, they said they don't know how to cope with this. Apparently, the Cricket hasn't trained their representatives yet!

I also called the sells again, pretending to be a new customer for asking whether I can use it internationally, and this time I was told I cannot use it unless they have signed an international roaming agreement with local carrier there, and it means the only country I can roam to is Canada, maybe Mexico!

BTW, where did you activated the device? I know you activated it in the US, I meant was the city the one Cricket is selling iPhone? So that I can figure out whether this phone would roam on other networks inside US, as the representatives also told me that the usage is not guaranteed inside US when it's not working on their own networks.

Update: Wired! I called the sells team again and asked the representative for transferring me to customer service, she asked me what did I want and I told her the problem you encountered, this time this representative told me that this phone is supposed to work outside the US as it's international unlocked...

Last edited:

narendemon

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I activated the phone with Cricket in the US already and I brought it to the UK. That's when it didn't work and kept saying "Searching..." when I put in the Vodafone UK SIM card.

I then restored the phone and went through the setup and activation process. That's when I experienced the same issues.

Will be going to Vodafone and check with them. Will also try other networks here.

Last resort, I will be taking it to my Apple store for them to diagnose it.

Kevincredible.... any luck ??

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
I called them and was told that the iPhone 5 is not supposed to work overseas. I said that I was told I can use it outside US because it's international unlocked, then the representative told me that I need to go to a local carrier for unlocking the device. I was confused with that how can another carrier unlock a device from Cricket... And I asked this question, this time the CSR told me that I need to go to a Cricket store close to me, to see whether they can flash the device to unlock it. Ha... I took this answer as a shifting off manner... Called the local store, they said they don't know how to cope with this. Apparently, the Cricket hasn't trained their representatives yet!

I also called the sells again, pretending to be a new customer for asking whether I can use it internationally, and this time I was told I cannot use it unless they have signed an international roaming agreement with local carrier there, and it means the only country I can roam to is Canada, maybe Mexico!

BTW, where did you activated the device? I know you activated it in the US, I meant was the city the one Cricket is selling iPhone? So that I can figure out whether this phone would roam on other networks inside US, as the representatives also told me that the usage is not guaranteed inside US when it's not working on their own networks.

Update: Wired! I called the sells team again and asked the representative for transferring me to customer service, she asked me what did I want and I told her the problem you encountered, this time this representative told me that this phone is supposed to work outside the US as it's international unlocked...

Thanks for this. Seems like the Indian call centers for Cricket don't have a clue. Neither do the folks working in the Cricket stores. The inconsistent answers and poor customer service.

I activated my phone in Tennessee. I happened to put in the UK Vodafone SIM at the time and it too said "Searching...". The Cricket support team told me that it would work when I go outside the US. Surely not.

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Thanks for this. Seems like the Indian call centers for Cricket don't have a clue. Neither do the folks working in the Cricket stores. The inconsistent answers and poor customer service.

I activated my phone in Tennessee. I happened to put in the UK Vodafone SIM at the time and it too said "Searching...". The Cricket support team told me that it would work when I go outside the US. Surely not.

Hmm... Things go to complicated... No refusing SIM report nor signal connected, and won't get resolved by replacing another SIM...

Thank you for letting me know the activating information. Hope there would be a miracle in the Apple store tomorrow...

Last edited:

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
What is Cricket's stance on this? Can you try calling them and asking what the specific process is in order to use an international GSM network?

Bad news for you guys... Another guy took this phone to China for testing and it won't work on Chinamobile network (GSM), same situation as yours, can read information from the card but no signal

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I've tried an O2 SIM and that doesn't work either. Vodafone don't seem to be very helpful as they recommended that I speak to Cricket or Apple.

I have an appointment with Apple this Friday. Can't get any sooner appointments.

How's your journey to Apple Store?:)

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
Bad news for you guys... Another guy took this phone to China for testing and it won't work on Chinamobile network (GSM), same situation as yours, can read information from the card but no signal

I won't be able to make the appointment this evening due to work commitments. I do have another appointment scheduled tomorrow so I'll meet with the Apple guys tomorrow. I did also speak to one of these independent shops that unlock phones and he said they would be able to flash the phone so it would work again. I may try that if Apple tell me to go back to Cricket.

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I won't be able to make the appointment this evening due to work commitments. I do have another appointment scheduled tomorrow so I'll meet with the Apple guys tomorrow. I did also speak to one of these independent shops that unlock phones and he said they would be able to flash the phone so it would work again. I may try that if Apple tell me to go back to Cricket.

Hmm...Then I will return this device today. It's not worth of doing a flash

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012

How does the Apple Guy say? :confused:

igor21

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
There is a solution to the problem.
Go to setting - general - cellular
Set all settings to off
Then you can choose your locar carrier manually.
After that, turn back all settings.
Its should work.

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
There is a solution to the problem.
Go to setting - general - cellular
Set all settings to off
Then you can choose your locar carrier manually.
After that, turn back all settings.
Its should work.

Settings > General. There is no option which says "Cellular"?:confused:

There is a Carrier option right under Settings. When I try to set the Automatic off it'll search for a bit but then it says "Unable to load network list". Have you got a Cricket iPhone 5 that you tried this on?

RT123

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Hi,

Do a restore in Itunes after that Try to disable all cellular switching in settiing>network>
and then try to serch manual for provaider

hope it will work for you

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
How does the Apple Guy say? :confused:

I spoke to the Apple Store. They checked on the Global system and my phone is not locked to a GSM carrier. I questioned why it kept saying searching in the carrier but all they could recommend was to replace my phone. So they were going through the process but it didn't go through because they did not have replacement CDMA phones. They suggested I speak to Apple Care in the US to have it replaced. So I spoke to Apple Care in the US and they said they would replace the phone but they can only send it to a US address.

So may have to go through the flashing route. Cricket are a bunch of incompetent idiots who offer poor service and no one should ever do business with them.

igor21

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Settings > General. There is no option which says "Cellular"?:confused:

There is a Carrier option right under Settings. When I try to set the Automatic off it'll search for a bit but then it says "Unable to load network list". Have you got a Cricket iPhone 5 that you tried this on?

Sorry - cellular is network.

Someone who have it, told me to do it.
He had the same problem.
after restore, and the procedure above, it began to work.

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I spoke to the Apple Store. They checked on the Global system and my phone is not locked to a GSM carrier. I questioned why it kept saying searching in the carrier but all they could recommend was to replace my phone. So they were going through the process but it didn't go through because they did not have replacement CDMA phones. They suggested I speak to Apple Care in the US to have it replaced. So I spoke to Apple Care in the US and they said they would replace the phone but they can only send it to a US address.

So may have to go through the flashing route. Cricket are a bunch of incompetent idiots who offer poor service and no one should ever do business with them.

Have you tried the method as the guy below your post mentioned? ;)

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
Have you tried the method as the guy below your post mentioned? ;)

Yes with no luck. In fact I don't have this option in my iPhone 5 Settings>general>network. I've been trying to change the network manually but it fails.

Not sure if this is a problem with just my iPhone or everyone elses.

Anyone else having problems where putting in a GSM SIM card results in continuously "Searching..." for the carrier in a Cricket iPhone 5?

Last edited:

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Yes with no luck. In fact I don't have this option in my iPhone 5 Settings>general>network. I've been trying to change the network manually but it fails.

Anyone else having problems where putting in a GSM SIM card results in continuously "Searching..." for the carrier in a Cricket iPhone 5?

Oh... Sorry to hear that...

Another guy tried this iPhone in China and encountered the same problem there... Replacing the card wouldn't work now :-(

But it's weird that since apple can check it out that this phone is gsm unlocked, why wouldn't it work on gsm band?

sirernest

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
I had the same problem with a Cricket iPhone 5 in Warsaw last week. It failed to load the operator list and just searched for service. I was able to see that the phone read the carrier information from the SIM as well as showed the network option. The network option is normally hidden until the iPhone detects it is outside of Cricket's licensed area or alternatively the United States.

I wasn't able to test the iPhone 5 from Cricket exactly. The unit I tested was a warranty replacement from Apple configured for Cricket on the off chance this impacted the test in any way.

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012

And I am wondering how can you get it flashed? Since the jailbreak is still such a long way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.