Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonester99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Los Angeles
So I never received my iphone 5 on launch day (9.21). My UPS tracking status kept showing it was "out for delivery". The following Monday came and gone and I still have yet received my iphone from UPS. I called apple and asked them to investigate this and the next day, a replacement iphone 5 was shipped out to me. Apple have since opened up a case with UPS trying to locate my missing iphone delivery. A few days later, just out of curiousity, I checked the original tracking again and strangely, UPS have updated the status to "delivered" and signed by my last name followed by a "- CAR". I've never seen a delivered message like that before so I decided to call UPS and ask them why the item was shown as delivered and what did the "- CAR" meant? I've been also home everyday for the last couple of weeks so there was no way I could have missed the UPS delivery.

So UPS was not able to give me any straight answer other than to tell me it was signed by someone. I kept asking what the "- CAR" meant but they didn't know either. I also asked if someone did sign for this, I would like to see the proof of signature on their handheld device. Of course, UPS wasn't able to provide me with that information. So since I've already received my replacement iphone 5, i decided to not pursue this any further and let apple deal with UPS.

Fast forward to today (10/11/2012), some stranger called me up this afternoon asking for my zipcode so he can activate a brand new iphone 5 that he had a friend purchased from someone on craigslist. He told me he thought I was the seller of the phone. At first I was confuse about the whole situation but I suddenly realized that this was my stolen iphone that this guy had bought from someone! I told him that this was a stolen iphone and that it's probably useless to him. I tried to find out the number of the guy who sold it to him but he said it was through a friend and he wasn't able to get that information.

So I called apple and AT&T to inform them about the situation, but unfortunately, they are unable to block the IMEI on that stolen phone since it hasn't been activated yet. I am so angry at this whole situation with UPS. I am 100% positive that the UPS driver stole my iphone and sold it on craigslist. I tried using the find my phone feature on iphone but it can't locate that phone since it hasn't been activated yet.

I'm wondering what else I can do to mess with this guy or to prevent him from activating this stolen iphone.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I'm wondering what else I can do to mess with this guy or to prevent him from activating this stolen iphone.

Personally, I'd let it rest.
You don't know whether the guy who bought it was just an innocent party in the whole scheme or not. And why get yourself into the middle of something that could prove to be a lot bigger than you think?
You've reported it. You got your new iPhone 5.
Let the people whose job it is to deal with things like this do so.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
So I never received my iphone 5 on launch day (9.21). My UPS tracking status kept showing it was "out for delivery". The following Monday came and gone and I still have yet received my iphone from UPS. I called apple and asked them to investigate this and the next day, a replacement iphone 5 was shipped out to me. Apple have since opened up a case with UPS trying to locate my missing iphone delivery. A few days later, just out of curiousity, I checked the original tracking again and strangely, UPS have updated the status to "delivered" and signed by my last name followed by a "- CAR". I've never seen a delivered message like that before so I decided to call UPS and ask them why the item was shown as delivered and what did the "- CAR" meant? I've been also home everyday for the last couple of weeks so there was no way I could have missed the UPS delivery.

So UPS was not able to give me any straight answer other than to tell me it was signed by someone. I kept asking what the "- CAR" meant but they didn't know either. I also asked if someone did sign for this, I would like to see the proof of signature on their handheld device. Of course, UPS wasn't able to provide me with that information. So since I've already received my replacement iphone 5, i decided to not pursue this any further and let apple deal with UPS.

Fast forward to today (10/11/2012), some stranger called me up this afternoon asking for my zipcode so he can activate a brand new iphone 5 that he had a friend purchased from someone on craigslist. He told me he thought I was the seller of the phone. At first I was confuse about the whole situation but I suddenly realized that this was my stolen iphone that this guy had bought from someone! I told him that this was a stolen iphone and that it's probably useless to him. I tried to find out the number of the guy who sold it to him but he said it was through a friend and he wasn't able to get that information.

So I called apple and AT&T to inform them about the situation, but unfortunately, they are unable to block the IMEI on that stolen phone since it hasn't been activated yet. I am so angry at this whole situation with UPS. I am 100% positive that the UPS driver stole my iphone and sold it on craigslist. I tried using the find my phone feature on iphone but it can't locate that phone since it hasn't been activated yet.

I wouldn't want a phone out there with my information on it period! The guy you talked to is now knowingly in possession of stolen property which you have the right to be returned because you are the original owner. If he refuses to return the phone and you want to go further file a police report and go from there.

Last edited:

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
A second idea would be to work out a deal with the guy to meet so you can wipe all your data and pull the sim. That way your sure your information is safe and he gets to keep the phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Wow, that's some balls to call up the owner of the stolen iphone to ask for his billing zip code and last 4 of his social in order to activate his missing iphone.
Good thing there is that security check from AT&T cause without that the phone will never be able to activate.
Unless they pull a scam and bring it to Apple to have it replaced.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
A second idea would be to work out a deal with the guy to meet so you can wipe all your data and pull the sim. That way your sure your information is safe and he gets to keep the phone.

You can sell it to him like the above stated but when you do I'm fact meet, get a license plate and phone number and file a report.

Don't know which state your in but in CA, every person who knowingly, or should have known, posses an item that is stolen is guilty of a felony per 496 pc

If they claim they found it, there is also a section or misappropriation of lost property and that too is a crime

tonester99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Los Angeles
Since the phone hasn't been activated yet, i don't think there is a need to meet this guy in person to wipe any data or retrieve the SIM card. I was never in possession of this phone. It was never delivered to me by UPS. The SIM card that comes with the brand new iphone should be empty correct?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Since the phone hasn't been activated yet, i don't think there is a need to meet this guy in person to wipe any data or retrieve the SIM card. I was never in possession of this phone. It was never delivered to me by UPS. The SIM card that comes with the brand new iphone should be empty correct?

You should have been like sure buddy.
I will meet you so I can enter the last 4 of my social security number and billing zip. I just dont feel comfortable giving that info to any stranger.
And from there have the cops ready to confiscate the stolen device and return it to you.
What I would do.
I wouldnt even tell him its stolen, play it like you're the seller.

manuelant

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Wow

Dude something similar happened to me and I got the same -CAR sign on the signature... I wonder if we are on the same area... Where are you from?

tonester99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Los Angeles
manuelant: I'm in the San Gabriel valley area in Los Angeles. Where are you located? what happened with your "lost" iphone?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Fast forward to today (10/11/2012), some stranger called me up this afternoon asking for my zipcode so he can activate a brand new iphone 5 that he had a friend purchased from someone on craigslist. He told me he thought I was the seller of the phone.

This is where you lost me. How in the heck did he know your number?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
The phone number of the upgraded line shows up on the screen when you try to activate the phone.
Then it asks you for your billing zip and last 4 of your social.

Gotcha.. guess I was so excited while activating mine I didn't even notice :D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Gotcha.. guess I was so excited while activating mine I didn't even notice :D

I did because I did an upgrade swap:D
So it had the other lines number pop up and I asked the AT&T rep to make sure when it activates it uses my number instead of the other line I used the upgrade from.
So the nanosim was actually activated using my phone number even though the other number that I got the upgrade from came up on the screen.

underattack

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
my brand new iPhone was stolen a couple days after I received it. I tracked it for about a week, but it only came online for minutes/seconds at a time. The phone was locked with a long passphrase, and I set it via "Lost my iPhone" to display a message that it was stolen (with my number). Last weekend, I gave up and canceled the line.

Luckily, I got most of my money back from AMEX. But still, it stinks. It was also the first time that I dealt with the "Lost my iPhone" system, and it worked pretty nice. As part of the message, you can enter a phone number and the "Finder" can call only that one number from the phone. I offered a $50 reward, but so far, nobody called.

I just hope that the phone is pretty much "bricked" now and can't be activated after it is reported as stolen with Verizon. BTW: Another nice thing is that by logging into your Apple Care history with Apple, you can retrieve the serial number for the phone. This helps with the police report.

tonester99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Los Angeles
manuelant: so how was your lost/stolen iphone resolved with UPS and/or apple?

I really hate UPS. how can their driver just forge a proof of delivery on the tracking status without having an actual signature on file.

propalitet

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Personally, I'd let it rest.
You don't know whether the guy who bought it was just an innocent party in the whole scheme or not. And why get yourself into the middle of something that could prove to be a lot bigger than you think?
You've reported it. You got your new iPhone 5.
Let the people whose job it is to deal with things like this do so.

I agree. I had a similar situation but it took me two weeks to get another phone. In your case, you got your phone. Just imagine if you bought a phone on craigslist and then you end up without a phone and money. And there is no information about you on the old phone or sim, he can't activate it without your zip and ssn, so he'll end up putting another sim in it.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Is it that hard to READ folks?

The guy made it clear it never got the phone. This then means:

a) He has no personal data on the phone to be stolen or wiped

b) It was not his phone to be stolen, since he never received it. UPS was the last to "own" it. Unless UPS tries to say he received it.

Can not believe people are talking about how he should wipe the phone, or get his data off of it. READ THE POST.

tonester99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Los Angeles
b) It was not his phone to be stolen, since he never received it. UPS was the last to "own" it. Unless UPS tries to say he received it.

UPS did implied that I received it by the driver forging the proof of delivery status under my tracking #. "<last name> - CAR" was the signed by recipient. As the other poster here have stated, the same thing happened to him with his delivery. When I called UPS support asking for proof of the actual signature on file, they were unable to do so.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I wouldn't want a phone out there with my information on it period! The guy you talked to is now knowingly in possession of stolen property which you have the right to be returned because you are the original owner. If he refuses to return the phone and you want to go further file a police report and go from there.

its a brand new phone, there is no way it has any of his information on it except maybe a phone number under which AT&T thinks the line should be activated.

tell the guy no and be done with it

----------

This is where you lost me. How in the heck did he know your number?

the SIM in the phone is already preprogrammed for the number on the line

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
a) He has no personal data on the phone to be stolen or wiped

I am not familiar with the activation process in the US, but howcome the guy who has the phone managed to call him then?

I don't know if it is on the phone or the simcard or somewhere else; but at least in the package it looks like there was private data about him. Doesn't it?

Anyway, if I was them I would not do much myself since Apple provided a replacement; but at least report all the details to Apple as a group and send a letter to UPS that multiple customers had the issue and informed Apple. Then it is Apple's problem if they decide to let it go and lose a phone, but letting whomever stole the phones and UPS get away with it without saying anything at all is a bit too easy on them.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
AND UPS and Apple are under no obligation to share information with you.

Not your phone, not your business.

Best thing you can do is get the caller id and provide to UPS/Apple so the police can investigate.

Its unlikely they will investigate though, as UPS has insurance for this very reason.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
OP...Sounds to me like one of your buddies (who knew the phone was on the way) stopped the driver and said "I am J.Doe and you have my phone. Can i grab it real quick cause I am late for my job?" Driver hands it over and adds "CAR" to the name...meaning that he didn't leave it at the front or back door, but at "your" car.

Your buddy then sold the thing on craigslist.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
OP...Sounds to me like one of your buddies (who knew the phone was on the way) stopped the driver and said "I am J.Doe and you have my phone. Can i grab it real quick cause I am late for my job?" Driver hands it over and adds "CAR" to the name...meaning that he didn't leave it at the front or back door, but at "your" car.

Your buddy then sold the thing on craigslist.

Really?

And why exactly did they remove the downvote button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.