Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwetech

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
how to close account for no-commitment iphone5 ? Do I have to wait for 1 month and pay 1st month billing or Do it as soon I get the phone ?

For radioshack they didnt even aske me for an account. I got no comittment and no account. Just paid full price.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Interesting....from what I gather......everything works except:

1) Visual Voicemail
2) MMS

For the stock version of the phone?

leongray

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Verizon iPhone 5

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 running on Straight Talk. As with the AT&T 4S version, the only problem I have is that I can't send MMS to anyone that doesn't have an iPhone (or receive). And the ST settings are entered.

bhaffar

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
No MMS on Verizon iPhone 5 on Straight Talk

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 running on Straight Talk. As with the AT&T 4S version, the only problem I have is that I can't send MMS to anyone that doesn't have an iPhone (or receive). And the ST settings are entered.

Bought a Verizon iPhone 5 16 GB in Black from Wal-Mart for $699 plus tax with no contract - came to $730 total where I live. Screen colors look washed out compared to my iPhone 4s and bezel had chips in it but that's a whole different story.

I was able to do the sim swap trick successfully on my iPhone 4s but couldn't get it to work on the iPhone 5 to get MMS to work.

I cut down the T-Mobile sim and Straight Talk sim into a nano sim using a nano sim puncher I bought on ebay - fits perfectly in the iPhone5. I was able to use unlockit to get the APN and data working but couldn't get the sim swap trick to get MMS to work. I don't want to jailbreak the phone. I followed about 6 different tutorials for how to do the sim swap and still couldn't get MMS to work.

To those of you who say you got MMS to work, is that on a Verizon iPhone5 with Straight Talk or an ATT iPhone5 with Straight Talk? How did you do it? If you can point me to a youtube video or tutorial that worked for you to get MMS on the iPhone 5 on Straight Talk please let me know. Thanks in advance.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Bought a Verizon iPhone 5 16 GB in Black from Wal-Mart for $699 plus tax with no contract - came to $730 total where I live. Screen colors look washed out compared to my iPhone 4s and bezel had chips in it but that's a whole different story.

I was able to do the sim swap trick successfully on my iPhone 4s but couldn't get it to work on the iPhone 5 to get MMS to work.

I cut down the T-Mobile sim and Straight Talk sim into a nano sim using a nano sim puncher I bought on ebay - fits perfectly in the iPhone5. I was able to use unlockit to get the APN and data working but couldn't get the sim swap trick to get MMS to work. I don't want to jailbreak the phone. I followed about 6 different tutorials for how to do the sim swap and still couldn't get MMS to work.

To those of you who say you got MMS to work, is that on a Verizon iPhone5 with Straight Talk or an ATT iPhone5 with Straight Talk? How did you do it? If you can point me to a youtube video or tutorial that worked for you to get MMS on the iPhone 5 on Straight Talk please let me know. Thanks in advance.

What version are you running on your 4s? Is it an At&t? I have a Sprint 4s on straight talk. I finally everything working including mms and FaceTime but I can't get Siri to call my contact numbers. She says" I can't call those numbers" I have many things like editing the plist files, APN, Reset network setting, turn Siri location on. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Slate64

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I bought a Verizon iPhone 5 with a two year and saved about $50 by paying the $350 early termination fee.

Sim slot functions as unlocked but the tmobile sim swap kicks out of data settings or the settings dont save. My only guess is the even the new "Unlocked" Verizon iPhone 5, still needs to be unlocked :/

Does anyone have an actual "unlocked" Verizon iPhone 5 (shows unlocked in itunes) that can get MMS working on StraightTalk using tmobile sim swap?

sammy5952

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Me too

I bought a Verizon iPhone 5 with a two year and saved about $50 by paying the $350 early termination fee.

Sim slot functions as unlocked but the tmobile sim swap kicks out of data settings or the settings dont save. My only guess is the even the new "Unlocked" Verizon iPhone 5, still needs to be unlocked :/

Does anyone have an actual "unlocked" Verizon iPhone 5 (shows unlocked in itunes) that can get MMS working on StraightTalk using tmobile sim swap?

I was able to use straight talk with my iphone 5 and add the value for MMS yet it doesn't keep the value after few picture messages it losses it.

nottaiphonegeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
hope this helps w. 3G/web surf

I will be trying this soon but I have heard that text messaging wont work? Anyone have any more info on this? Thanks.
Go to Safari while under wifi connection and go to http://unlockit.co.nz...then, change APN, choose carrier (ST) then customize APN to... att.mnvo Then all you have to do is "install". If you have trouble w/ 3g this may help as well....
Running ios6 there's no "Network" under settings-general. you have to go under VPN and "Add VPN configuration" hit IPsec and use att.mnvo for account. and use http://mmsc.cingular.com for provider, also type same address under URL . You can put passwork and Description as anything you like it to be. Proxy must be on Auto. hope this helps , I have 4s ios 6. But this should help you. Good luck!!

elencticdeictic

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Anyone get Personal Hotspot Working on iPhone 5 w/ST

Has anyone gotten the personal hotspot to work with a sanded down Straigttalk microsim on the iPhone 5 without jailbreaking it? Thanks.

playdrv4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
All this trouble, and all this money spent for a phone that is not altogether that much improved over the 4S. I have an iPhone 5 and that is not just my personal opinion, but also that of many tech pundits. It's a beautiful piece of kit, but after the newness wears off, there's just not that much great about it. Take away the amazing Verizon LTE, and there's even less that's worth writing home about.

My solution will actually be to sell my like new VZW iPhone 5 for some ungodly amount of money, then buy the (also somewhat ungodly) 4S on Virgin Mobile which gets around all of this work and nonsense to get MMS and other features half working. Keep in mind also that Straight-Talk are absolute data NAZIS. There have been many reported cases of customers getting kicked from ST due to even moderate data usage (I have seen reports indicating basically anything over 100mb per day). This is because they are accountable to AT&T for the behavior of their customers as a whole, and AT&T has come down on tethering. With Virgin Mobile there are no worries about this because they just throttle after 2.5GB, but at least it still works, and they don't care if you tether (to an extent, you can abuse anything). Yes, you have to unlock the phone as opposed to the iPhone 5 from VZW which comes tethering enabled, but that is a small detail.

You've been warned. Not a huge deal if you don't care about your phone number, but if you get kicked and you like your number, it's likely you'll lose it.

Last edited:

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
knocking on wood, i've been a customer for ST for almost a year now. I use internet like any other smartphone user with the exception of no tethering and no video streaming. Haven't had any problems. According to the phone, I use ~1GB per month. Some say ST has a soft cap at 2GB (after which they put you on watch list) but I really haven't been able to hit it.. at least with my usage patterns.

All this trouble, and all this money spent for a phone that is not altogether that much improved over the 4S. I have an iPhone 5 and that is not just my personal opinion, but also that of many tech pundits. It's a beautiful piece of kit, but after the newness wears off, there's just not that much great about it. Take away the amazing Verizon LTE, and there's even less that's worth writing home about.

My solution will actually be to sell my like new VZW iPhone 5 for some ungodly amount of money, then buy the (also somewhat ungodly) 4S on Virgin Mobile which gets around all of this work and nonsense to get MMS and other features half working. Keep in mind also that Straight-Talk are absolute data NAZIS. There have been many reported cases of customers getting kicked from ST due to even moderate data usage (I have seen reports indicating basically anything over 100mb per day). This is because they are accountable to AT&T for the behavior of their customers as a whole, and AT&T has come down on tethering. With Virgin Mobile there are no worries about this because they just throttle after 2.5GB, but at least it still works, and they don't care if you tether (to an extent, you can abuse anything). Yes, you have to unlock the phone as opposed to the iPhone 5 from VZW which comes tethering enabled, but that is a small detail.

You've been warned. Not a huge deal if you don't care about your phone number, but if you get kicked and you like your number, it's likely you'll lose it.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Me and my Wife moved to ST after paying $170 a month for a AT&T Family Plan and we have absolutely no complaints. Both of us have iPhone 4S FaceTime and iMessage work no problem (although it took a while to activate, just make sure your number is typed in Settings-Phone-My Number)

Internet is fast, service is identical as its AT&T's network. Only difference is no visual voicemail as far as I can tell but worth losing to save $80 a month.

We used APN changer through http://www.unlockit.co.nz

Matt

Carrie123456

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
If I buy a Verizon iPhone 5 without contract then do I still have to activate it with Verizon to get straight talk to work?

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
Apple has an agreement with at&t, verizon, and sprint for a certain amount of months after releasing the iPhone so they can get their customers first. Most likely, the unlocked iPhones will be coming out at the apple store soon. Before the holidays hopefully.

Yeah, I don't know what is up with all the conflicting information. I asked an Apple Store employee if the AT&T iPhone would be unlocked and they said NO, even if purchased at full price. I decided to take a chance later that day and I figure Apple has a good return policy if it wasn't unlocked.

So I went back to the store, and when I went to purchase the phone and you have to "sign" the AT&T purchase Terms on the Apple Store employee's iPhone, he actually signed it for me and put "Unlocked." =\

Oh well, as consumers at least we win. We can buy an AT&T iPhone 5 at full price and use whatever pre-paid service we want. I also just heard that you can do the same with a Verizon phone. Maybe someday phones will always be unlocked...

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
looks like it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 10.40.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 10.40.24 AM.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 661

Debbnh

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
No Jailbreak needed to edit APN to Straight Talk info!

I don't have any issues with texting, iMessage, my number shows up fine and since the Straight Talk microSIMs use AT&Ts network, Facetime over cellular shouldn't work (as we all know how AT&T feels about that) but I haven't tried it. The only issue is with MMS (which requires jailbreaking with Straight Talk), but iMessage takes care of this.

Hi, ive had ST in my locked AT&T iphone 4S over a year now with "ALL" features working including Facetime, MMS (use the ST apn settings found in Howard's Forums"- no i didnt jailbreak either as theres a workaround to edit your apn settings w/o needing a jailbreak (also found in same forum) and my 4G shows up where there is 4G available also.

(Black) Friday I picked up my new off contract AT&T iPhone 5 (cheaper than buying from Apple Store to get the unlocked version), used the same work around to edit my APN settings after putting in my cut down "Nano" ST sim used in my 4S and like with my 4S every feature on my iPhone 5 works fine, def faster than my older 4S.

Go through "Howard's Forums" ... Cant post link here but its easy to find! I've been with Straight Talk almost 2 years actually and this is my 3rd iPhone using them, I LOVE the cost, have had nOooo problems at all with phone features, ect.

Again, you do not have to jailbreak to change the APN (data, mms) settings!

Enjoy

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
If I knew someone that had an iPhone with straight talk, I'd probably leave AT&T. I'm only with them because I have unlimited data and use PDANet as a hotspot for my iPad when I travel.

I'm really interested in this, just don't want to lose my unlimited data if I don't like the service.

eaton0001

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
iPhone 5 GSM unlocked now available at Apple Store

As of November 30th the iPhone 5 is available at Apple Stores in its unlocked GSM version. The 16 GB version was $649.00 (plus tax) and I also purchased Apple Care for an additional $99.00

If you want to use "Simple Mobile" or Walmart's "Straight Talk" you need an unlocked GSM phone (AT&T version) or you can buy the now availabe unlocked GSM version of the iPhone 4s or 5 from Apple. The Verizon or Sprint CDMA version -- even if it is "unlocked" won't work on Simple Mobile or Walmart's Straight Talk because as I understand it they are on the CDMA platform and those phones are incompatible with the GSM service.

I bought the iPhone 5 unlocked to use on Simple Mobile and for when I travel abroad for work. The problem though that I've run into is obtaining the nano sized sim card so you might want to bring a cutter with you if you travel overseas to cut the nano down to size (you can get the cutters on eBay for about USD $12).

n0m0n

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
HERE
I purchased a 64gig Verizon Iphone 5 from somebody off Craigslist (800 dollars)
and cut the Straight talk micro sim down by hand with scissors using the another nano as a template and help from the internet and i have everything working perfectly. Imessage, Facetime etc all ok.
The sim fits if you cut correctly, it doesnt need to be made thinner. It will fit.
Great to be able to use the Iphone 5 with Straight talk. No LTE of course but i dont care about that, for me 3G is fast enough.
The Verizon Iphone is the one you should all get as they have made theres fully unlocked even under contract.
If you guys or girls have any questions would be glad to help.
:)

----------

Used unlockit.nz for the APN settings.

Can I ask since its been a few months any regrets or problems?
I have a iPh5 on Verizon and was going to return it then purchase a GSM unlocked iPh5 from Apple, but if this works I would be willing to pay the $350. early term and go the route of Straight Talk.
I still have 2 #'s under contract for a few months that I need.

Can you advise as to how you figure out how to cut the sim down properly?
Also did you get the sim form eBay or Wal-mart?
I don't want to hose the sim personally.

THANKS

mbr714

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I recently purchased a never been used, Unlocked at&t Iphone5. I bought a Sim Card cutter, and purchased a Unlocked GSM sim card. Considering it's a unlocked phone. I figured this sim would work. I have heard a million different ways of making Iphone 5 work on straight talk. But i'm simply clueless what to do when my phone arrives. And coming across this, seeing you were able to get it work. I figured you might be able to give me the steps and tips to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.