Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgrace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
I compared the display of my iPhone 5 with another family member's. Both are at the same brightness. My iPhone (on the right side of the attached image) has a warmer display, with a very slight yellow tint. The iPhone on the left has a slightly cooler (and seemingly better) display. When I use my iPhone 5 normally, the warmer tone of the display is not very apparent... but as you can see in the image, there's a clear difference when I put the two iPhones side-by-side.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input. Individual preferences aside, am I correct in thinking that the warmer display is not as good/high quality as the cooler, more natural looking display? Some seem to think the warmer display on the iPhone 5 is normal and helps improve color saturation... not sure if that has any merit or not.

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,603

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I compared the display of my iPhone 5 with another family member's. Both are at the same brightness. My iPhone (on the right side of the attached image) has a warmer display, with a very slight yellow tint. The iPhone on the left has a slightly cooler (and seemingly better) display. When I use my iPhone 5 normally, the warmer tone of the display is not very apparent... but as you can see in the image, there's a clear difference when I put the two iPhones side-by-side.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input. Individual preferences aside, am I correct in thinking that the warmer display is not as good/high quality as the cooler, more natural looking display? Some seem to think the warmer display on the iPhone 5 is normal and helps improve color saturation... not sure if that has any merit or not.

The yellow tint is absolutely not correct an you should not stand for it. This happens every year, with Apple rushing to meet manufacturing demands, and producing yellow screens. You should demand a replacement.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
"Yellow tint" is simply closer to D65 screen calibration standards. My professionally calibrated theater plasma screen looks yellow next to an overblown, overblue LCD. It's a much different white point.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
"Yellow tint" is simply closer to D65 screen calibration standards. My professionally calibrated theater plasma screen looks yellow next to an overblown, overblue LCD. It's a much different white point.

Youre kidding yourself.

THis happens with every release. Every year some jacka% tries to claim Apple is moving to a wamer tint. Yet after the initial push, all the displays end up neutral or blue, with no yellow. Hmm..

iPhone6: My new iPhone looks yellow compared to my super blue 5 (a 5 that was bought a month+ after launch, like every other iPohne that launches yellow and ends up reverting to clear screens a month later).

Forum dude: "Its MOAR ACCURATE"

Every time.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Youre kidding yourself.

THis happens with every release. Every year some jacka% tries to claim Apple is moving to a wamer tint. Yet after the initial push, all the displays end up neutral or blue, with no yellow. Hmm..

iPhone6: My new iPhone looks yellow compared to my super blue 5 (a 5 that was bought a month+ after launch, like every other iPohne that launches yellow and ends up reverting to clear screens a month later).

Every time.

You are also the Nr. 1 voice against what you perceive are yellow screens.

Smetimg tells me that you have never seen an accurately calibrated screen in your life, much less having done professional level photo editing AND printing jobs. If you had, you wouldn't call those screens yellow.

Photography pros laugh in your face over statements like this.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States

This. OP's screen looks normal.

(by displaymate.com) Suggestions for Apple: Keep up the good work in improving picture quality through accurate display calibration! To produce a better display please don’t make the White Point Color Temperature so blue – it’s the only significant calibration flaw and it gives some images a bit of a cold bluish caste.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

This sounds overly complicated. Almost like a brainwash into believing a yellow screen is better.

It's very simple. The yellow screen looks faded and ugly. Don't let some fancy stats convince you the yellow screen is somehow better.

Ask yourself this -

Do you see people complaining about their blue screens wanting a faded yellow one?

Nope.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
These comparison shots neglect to mention what white balance settings the camera is set to. A different WB setting might make the warm one look white and the cold one look too blue.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Regardless of what others say, and what is the "reference standard", if you dont like return it! If it was such a reference standard, then apple would make sure that every single phone gets a quick color temp test. Its so inconsistent and it really bothers the hell out of some people.

So do yourself a favor and do what will make YOU happy!

Be warned though, you might not get what you seek in an exchange! I'd hate to see you come back and post that you went through 17 iphones and they were all worse than your original lol

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My screen definitely looks like the left phone and is cooler. I prefer the cooler look and actually have my computer monitors set a tad cooler than the normal 6500K. But as much as I prefer the cooler look, when I take a photo with my phone and compare the color to the actual object, the photo will show cooler as well. So I bet those with e warmer screens will show photos that are more color correct.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
...what? You must be joking. Within the past month, I have personally handled 2 iPhone 4Ses that were manufactured in May and July of this year as borne out by their serial numbers, and they both have displays that are noticeably more "yellow" (read: warm) than my release-day iPhone 4S. Furthermore, my release-day iPhone 4 has one of the "coolest" iPhone displays I've ever run across, and I've had at least one of each model. So your claim that it's always the initial batch that is poorly QC'd because of "the push" is ludicrous on its face.

The fact is that there has always been a variance -- from the original iPhone in 2007 down to the iPhone 5 -- in the backlighting color of these devices from device to device over every model's entire lifetime. It has nothing to do with "the beginning" or "the push."

Personally, after having been exposed to a multitude of iPhones with displays of varying color temperature, I have found that I don't really have a preference for either the "warmer" or "cooler" ones...I eventually get used to and acclimatize to whichever one ends up being my "daily driver" for the next year or more. But I will agree that it is disturbing and slightly infuriating that the display manufacturers cannot learn to be more consistent from display to display...if they were, it would completely eliminate most of these debates. I mean, it has been five years already, and they still can't figure out how to reduce or eliminate the wide variance? Really?!

Actually, the MOST frustrating thing is to receive a display that is inconsistent with regard to itself. If a given display is slightly warmer or cooler overall than the last display on the last device I had, then okay, whatever. But it drives me nuts when part of a single display has one white point, and another part has another white point (so the bottom is yellow and the top is blue, or pink, or whatever). That is absolutely unacceptable, and it happens way more often than it should.

-- Nathan

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Is your phone newer?

I read that it could possibly need a burn in period, but I am not sure how true that is.

I did feel the same way about my phone, and noticed a difference between mine and the display model at the ATT store. But when I went to the Apple Store, I compared it with 10+ display models and they all looked a little different. If anything, those models had a red tint compared to my yellow tint.

I am not sure if it is just the placebo effect, but I feel like my display is less yellow now after a week of using it.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
The screen white balance is ok. What causes yellowing tint is uneven backlight from the top right corner (probably from the twisted LED). You can clearly see this portion of the screen is affected the most, while bottom left side remains practically yellow-free. The screen itself looks much better calibrataed than the one on the left side. Anyways I would exchange it due to uneveness of backlight. None of these screens are 100% free of backlight issues. Here's why:

photoaha.jpg

It's actually very hard and rare to find 100% perfect screen in iDevice.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Seems Apple is calibrating the 5 different than the 4 or 4 s. I compared my 4 with my new 5 when I first got it and it also looked yellowish. However it seems that pictures etc looked more true to color. After a few days the screen seemed fine.
I also went as far as checking the screens in an Apple store ...... Some were different others the same as mine. None had that coolbllue of-the Iphone4. However I can sayvwithout any doubt the color calibration in the 5 is much more accurate

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
It's simply a result of Apple using multiple suppliers of the LCDs to keep up with demand. Not all screens are created equally. Apple are not changing screen calibration or anything like that.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Youre kidding yourself.

Every time.
okay well the screen on the right happens to be defective however you're wrong, the iPhone 5 actually did get calibrated warmer (and the 6 probably will be more so) than previous iPhones.

It's simply a result of Apple using multiple suppliers of the LCDs to keep up with demand. Not all screens are created equally. Apple are not changing screen calibration or anything like that.
Sigh. If you had any idea what you were talking about you'd know apple has actually changed their screen calibration vastly for the iPhone 5.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Sigh. If you had any idea what you were talking about you'd know apple has actually changed their screen calibration vastly for the iPhone 5.

I assure you I do have an idea what I am talking about. Do you care to share what Apple have changed with regards to screen calibration on the iPhone 5? Please remember for accurate calibration that each device would need to be calibrated individually before they left the factory and if they were, all screens would appear the same. IOS is rendering the screens output the same across all these devices and the difference we are seeing is in the screen itself - with this issue it is the quality of the LEDs which is why screens appear more blue or yellow. Ideally Apple would only be sourcing these screens with pure white LEDs to avoid these issues but such screens would be much more expensive.

NavyDude065

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012

The yellowish look should go away over time and a slight yellow looks better. Display a white background picture, ensure brightness is all the way up with Auto brightness turned off, ensure auto lock is set to never and place your iphone on a thin cloth onto running electronic equipment such as an Xbox 360 for a few hours and the yellowish look should fake. It worked for me. I find the colors are now better looking than they are on my bluish iphone 4.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I love the screen on my iPhone 5. It looks very neutral and the whites look great as does my old 4s.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I assure you I do have an idea what I am talking about. Do you care to share what Apple have changed with regards to screen calibration on the iPhone 5? Please remember for accurate calibration that each device would need to be calibrated individually before they left the factory and if they were, all screens would appear the same. IOS is rendering the screens output the same across all these devices and the difference we are seeing is in the screen itself - with this issue it is the quality of the LEDs which is why screens appear more blue or yellow. Ideally Apple would only be sourcing these screens with pure white LEDs to avoid these issues but such screens would be much more expensive.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm
Read this. Enjoy the information about the updated colour profiles and modified and corrected colour curves and improved calibration. You're welcome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.