Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
I still wonder if either Apple didn't know that their clock was so close to the Swiss Railway design or just didn't care??

I've just been wondering if Apple or the designer who updated the clock just didn't know it was under trademark?

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I guess I licensed mine when I bought it.

Mondaine watches are actually licensed to use the design (hence with Swiss Railway branding on the face!). The design might not look anything special, but if you ask anyone who has any slight interest in clock design they'll probably tell you the Swiss Railway clock design is probably the most iconic in the world.

There's also the symbolic association with Switzerland and its reputation for punctuality and accuracy.

Last edited:

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
People say this all the time and, well, they're pretty much always wrong.

I'm not saying this to have a go at you so please don't take this personally, but great, iconic designs, the simple ones that last for generations, they are the hardest to create - if they weren't then we'd all be doing it!

You see it as generic now, but that's only a measure of how successful it has become. Just how so many say that swipe to unlock is generic, or pinch to zoom... accept people were blown away by the simplicity of them, the implementation was so perfect and so natural that they left everyone scratching their heads and asking "why didn't I think of that?!"

This clock design is iconic and, no, you probably couldn't have designed it. Nor could I. If I could design stuff like this, I'd be a richer man than I am today.

I happen to be a veteran graphic designer. I've actually done a few clock faces in my day, so YES, this is a very basic and derivative design that I might have started out with. It follows all the rules of basic, functional design. But since I find it dull, I wouldn't use it. And I can't remember the last time I said "why didn't I think of that??" .... because in my mind, the Pet Rock was a dumb idea... the Baby on Board car window sign doesn't inspire me... But I did have a moment where I thought I may have been ripped off. I submitted a game board design to hasbro through an associate. It was rejected, but within 18 months, a new, round monopoly game board came out that seemed to borrow elements and ideas from my board. I can't prove it beyond a comparison of the two boards, but it's made me more careful.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
This is a clock-face that I could have designed. It's so basic and derivative. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's designer came up with it on his/her own coincidentally. But yeah, it would look like a total ripoff if it weren't so generic. I would have rejected this design.

I think it's a great design. There is something incredibly clear about it. I don't think you could have designed it any more than you could have designed the iPhone 5. Good design is deceptively simple.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.

If you can't figure out how to tell time on a watch without numbers or hashes by now, you should really try learning. This is a similar watch that I have and I can tell you the time without staring at it.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/Me..._s_Stainless_Steel_Watch-lordandtaylor/158273

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

So basically you're admitting that you're a freakin' idi0t who can't read watches and furthermore completely ignore the subtle difference between looking at a watch from about 20 metres away (railway watch - and STILL being able to tell the time from that distance!) and from about 50 cm (wrist watch)!

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.

If you don't have other problems than not being able to read watches then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life. And don't bother us anymore with your nonsense.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I happen to be a veteran graphic designer. I've actually done a few clock faces in my day, so YES, this is a very basic and derivative design that I might have started out with. It follows all the rules of basic, functional design. But since I find it dull, I wouldn't use it. And I can't remember the last time I said "why didn't I think of that??" .... because in my mind, the Pet Rock was a dumb idea... the Baby on Board car window sign doesn't inspire me... But I did have a moment where I thought I may have been ripped off. I submitted a game board design to hasbro through an associate. It was rejected, but within 18 months, a new, round monopoly game board came out that seemed to borrow elements and ideas from my board. I can't prove it beyond a comparison of the two boards, but it's made me more careful.

Fair enough.

That said, what you see as derivative is likely only the fact that so many have copied this design since it was created.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It doesn't matter if you think it's a basic design, could have designed it yourself, etc. Funny that some of the same people who defend every single one of Apple's patents - even the ones derivative or so easy a 2 year old could have come up with the design - think that Apple having to license this is silly.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
So when I cut out hands for my own clock with a battery-powered movement I bought at a local store, do I have to license the design from any other company that may have a similar clock face?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

your intelligence must be quite different than most of the people.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
So when I cut out hands for my own clock with a battery-powered movement I bought at a local store, do I have to license the design from any other company that may have a similar clock face?

If it's identical to a copyright-protected design and you intend to sell it, then yes, you do have to license it.

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
Well it is,

just like all art it devides opinions, you dont like it, I do.

Okay... here's how I define 'art.' If it's something I could copy PERFECTLY in illustrator by having GLANCED at it ONCE... it's not art. Its design is minimal and functional. I think it's an effective design... high contrast with black on white and with varied weights. The red second hand easily separates from the black lines and the white background... and the red dot at the end of the second hand makes it easy to find from a distance. It's A form that follows a function. That's all. And if I were asked to design a clock on those principles and was a in a hurry... a design VERY MUCH like this one would be the first stab.

A master painting hanging in the louvre? DeVinci? Art. Picasso? Art. A basic clock face that is similar to ones I had in my grammar school? Meh.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
If you can't figure out how to tell time on a watch without numbers or hashes by now, you should really try learning. This is a similar watch that I have and I can tell you the time without staring at it.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/Me..._s_Stainless_Steel_Watch-lordandtaylor/158273

Some people grew up with digital time and timepieces / clocks. For them, reading a watch face with hash marks without numerals is a problem - because they never learned to do that. They don't wear watches, either, using their phones to see what time it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.