Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
You are also the Nr. 1 voice against what you perceive are yellow screens.

Smetimg tells me that you have never seen an accurately calibrated screen in your life, much less having done professional level photo editing AND printing jobs. If you had, you wouldn't call those screens yellow.

Photography pros laugh in your face over statements like this.

that's what I told him when he was crying about the "yellow" screens

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Mine definitely looks like the one on the left, and I'm cool with that. As far as what you should do? If you don't like it then return it. IMO I would, but that's just me. Also, as far as the yellow being better or whatever, just trust your eyes, they will be spending a lot of time with this screen, if they don't like It then adios. But if they like it because some guy on a forum says that it's better and that's how a fully calibrated screen should look well...then trade him for his 5.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm
Read this. Enjoy the information about the updated colour profiles and modified and corrected colour curves and improved calibration. You're welcome

Here is the problem with that article, if the device they tested shows up an almost perfect rendition and all devices were equal then fine. As we already know, the displays in the iPhone 5 can vary quite a bit and so another iPhone which has a screen that is visibly different to their test subject will show up a different set of results. Because Apple are using different displays, they would need to individually calibrate each screen at the factory to ensure a constant output. This clearly is not happening, the screens are capable of displaying an all-round better image than the likes of the iPhone 4 as per that article however if different backlights colour the output and this is not corrected, the colour balance of the displays will differ as we are seeing. Unless white balance is corrected or they use a single source of identical LCD/Backlight combinations, we will always have this potential for a difference.
I'm not knocking that article by the way, the tests are wholly valid but unfortunately, only for the device they tested. It does go to show what the new display is capable of though.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Right side it definately yellow. and left side has LTE problem too ( Just one bar ??? ). Since you r visiting Apple store, exchange both...:)

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I nice feature might be a color temperature slider under the brightness slider, although I have no complaints on the display of my phone.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I compared the display of my iPhone 5 with another family member's. Both are at the same brightness. My iPhone (on the right side of the attached image) has a warmer display, with a very slight yellow tint. The iPhone on the left has a slightly cooler (and seemingly better) display. When I use my iPhone 5 normally, the warmer tone of the display is not very apparent... but as you can see in the image, there's a clear difference when I put the two iPhones side-by-side.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input. Individual preferences aside, am I correct in thinking that the warmer display is not as good/high quality as the cooler, more natural looking display? Some seem to think the warmer display on the iPhone 5 is normal and helps improve color saturation... not sure if that has any merit or not.

When me and my brother had gotten the new iPhone 4's at the time for Verizon, mine had a yellower tint while his was cooler like your wifes iPhone. Well I was comparing same pictures on both devices and my warmer iPhone screen was defitnetly producing better looking colors and more vivid then my brothers cooler tint iPhone screen. The only plus side my brother's iPhone had was whites did look just a smidge better. Go ahead and try it, test the two same exact photos on both and let me know which one is more vivid

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Here is the problem with that article, if the device they tested shows up an almost perfect rendition and all devices were equal then fine. As we already know, the displays in the iPhone 5 can vary quite a bit and so another iPhone which has a screen that is visibly different to their test subject will show up a different set of results. Because Apple are using different displays, they would need to individually calibrate each screen at the factory to ensure a constant output. This clearly is not happening, the screens are capable of displaying an all-round better image than the likes of the iPhone 4 as per that article however if different backlights colour the output and this is not corrected, the colour balance of the displays will differ as we are seeing. Unless white balance is corrected or they use a single source of identical LCD/Backlight combinations, we will always have this potential for a difference.
I'm not knocking that article by the way, the tests are wholly valid but unfortunately, only for the device they tested. It does go to show what the new display is capable of though.

We are arguing about something we both agree on- all iPhone 5 displays are created differently and there is large potential for difference :D

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
"Yellow tint" is simply closer to D65 screen calibration standards. My professionally calibrated theater plasma screen looks yellow next to an overblown, overblue LCD. It's a much different white point.

Absolutely correct.

Unfortunately you're fighting a losing battle with the general public. They are the reason for torch mode settings on tv sets. where every adjustment is turned to 11 so the guy in costco can say, wow what a great screen, when it's not even close to correctly adjusted for realistic image display.

People want bright, not right.

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
Maybe i'm nuts but i want my whites to look like a nice bright white. The yellowing makes it look dingy. Mine had similar yellowing (although mine wasn't spotty, it was pretty consistent), then after a few days it seems to have disappeared.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I have heard that keeping your screen brightness on full for a day or two can fix yellowish tinting or help it a bit

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
This sounds overly complicated. Almost like a brainwash into believing a yellow screen is better.

It's very simple. The yellow screen looks faded and ugly. Don't let some fancy stats convince you the yellow screen is somehow better.

Ask yourself this -

Do you see people complaining about their blue screens wanting a faded yellow one?

Nope.

There is nothing complicated about what CSpackler said. D65 is a real standard in screen calibration. It means that the white point of a monitor is set to a color temperature of 6500K.

Take a look at this page on color temperature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature#Categorizing_different_lighting

The chart on the right explains what the different color temperature values look like. Notice the "LCD or CRT screen setting" entry shows. Values ranging from 6500K-9300K. To human eyes the 5500-6500K range is neutral white. Anything higher will have a blue (cool) tint. For the most realistic and accurate color 6500K is preferred by the photo, graphic and video industry. Now think to yourself what your iPhone displays. It's photos, graphics and video. Not complicated at all. :)

The range given from LCD and CRT monitors is broad because most of them do not come properly calibrated. Even some high-end monitors supposedly set from the factory need a bit of adjustment from time to time.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
To me the 3rd gen iPad has the best display so I use that to compare. My iPhone 5 is pretty close to my iPad 3 as seen in the photo. I don't think the iPhone should be any warmer than the iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 167

bgrace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
If I decide to take it back to the Apple Store, should it be as easy as saying I'm not happy with the warm/yellow tint of the display and would like to do a retail swap? (Retail swap because I am still within my 30 day window and don't want a potentially refurbished one in a white box).

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The yellow tint is absolutely not correct an you should not stand for it. This happens every year, with Apple rushing to meet manufacturing demands, and producing yellow screens. You should demand a replacement.

Seriously? You never seen a properly calibrated screen?

This whole debacle arises from manufacturers giving their screens an unnatural blue tint because they look "brighter". He doesn't need to "demand" anything. If he doesn't like it, he can return it. The people saying yellower screens are better are actually correct. Still, ignorance is bliss, eh?

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have one like the one on the left. And I much prefer it to the two 4Ss I had. Both had very yellow screens. Both a launch one and one I bought for my wife a few months ago. My 4 was also very blue and I much prefer that.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Looks to me like it would be within their margin of error. They arent all going to be exactly the same. If you people want perfection on a mass produced device it's going to cost a lot more than the $200 or $600 you spent on your iPhone.

NismoRoadster

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cerritos, CA
Properly calibrated screens should match the GretagMacbeth patches. Which will be the yellowish screens not the unnatural blue. Grey patches should not have a magenta or blue cast to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
You are also the Nr. 1 voice against what you perceive are yellow screens.

Smetimg tells me that you have never seen an accurately calibrated screen in your life, much less having done professional level photo editing AND printing jobs. If you had, you wouldn't call those screens yellow.

Photography pros laugh in your face over statements like this.

I do high end professional photo editing for well known photographers and I spent over 100 hours calibrating my own $4000 photo editing display. The iPhone with a yellow tint is NOT more calibrated, it is deffective. Why? Three reasons:

1. Phones with the yellow tint deffect are not the "norm", and because they are not the norm by definition they are deffective.

2. More importantly, Apple clearly designs and calibrates the colors to the cooler displays. Meaning that while the grey tones will be closer to what is considered calibrated on a deffective yellow screen iPhone, all the other colors will be off, and all the other colors ship very well calibrated from the manufacturer. Claiming a yellow display is more calibrated is like someone replacing the camera on your phone and cracking the screen, and then saying they "fixed it". With a yellow phone more issues are wrong with the colors than it fixes.

3. The old calibration standards for displays are outdated. Manufacturers KNOW this which is why most TV's are by default set to a cooler color temperature instead of the caibrated warm setting, you have to change them to the warmer setting yourself. Warm displays look wrong to people nowadays. I actually calibrate displays for people by setting them to the ideal standard then adding a slight (very slight) cool shift because that is what people want and I find that looks the best personally and gets the most approval. White is supposed to be white, not yellow and people notice that.

So yes the yellow display is deffective, less calibrated, and not what the manufacturer intended.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Do not accept a piss yellow, washed out display. Period.

You never see one of these "differently calibrated" displays on the floor display units in the Apple Store. Return it.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
To me the 3rd gen iPad has the best display so I use that to compare. My iPhone 5 is pretty close to my iPad 3 as seen in the photo. I don't think the iPhone should be any warmer than the iPad.

I like the picture. Can you post it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.