Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The company buying your phones through instant sale is eBay seller 'alltechwholesale'. They make their money by lowering the quote once they receive the item and most people just accept the lower offer or give up from frustration trying to get their phone back.

They're reselling the phones on eBay themselves so it's in their best interest to give you the lowball price after receiving your device.

Best option is to sell on Craigslist. Or sell it on eBay yourself if you're in a small town where Craigslist isn't a good option.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
When I sent mine in I wrote a note and put it in the box saying I took photos of the entire phone and they better not pull any BS saying it's not in excellent condition because I have proof it is.

I got full value.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
They offered $560 for a 32 gig 4 and a 32gig 4s.
The only thing I didn't like was the lack of updates after FedEx dropped it off.
They received it on 3 October. I received the $560 in my PayPal 12 Oct.
More status updates would have been nice.

Don't waste your time emailing them. The girl answering their phone is very nice.

Mbman81

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
UPDATE.

Okay folks so I received my iPhone back today after the weeks of waiting and made an unboxing video.

Were they lying?!?! Let's find out shall we!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOrxqOLbPVY&feature=plcp

Hmm. You should call them and explain. I had a positive experience. Both phones (one $200 and one $300) were accepted without question. I wonder if they would be open to resolving it. Keep us posted!

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I sold my 64GB 4S on eBay a couple weeks before the iPhone 5 announcement. I decided to accept international buyers to increase the buying pool. The winning bidder was from Russia and had only 1 feedback but it was positive and was for a MacBook he had just purchased.

I had some trepidation about shipping the phone to Russia even though I had already received full payment. Regardless of my worries, I shipped the phone out to the buyer a couple days after I received payment and after about a month and one week I received positive feedback from him. All appears to be well.

I have since read lots of horror stories from people selling smartphone on eBay and shipping them specifically to Russia. Their postal system has a lot of corruption and they will often steal packages. I consider myself lucky this time around and will only sell my electronics inside the U.S. or countries with good postal systems.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah I buy and sell apple products for a living, I only ship to the US... If someone wants it bad enough overseas there are companies that are here and will ship it to them... And for the shipping from the company to them, they're **** out of luck if it gets stolen

badbare

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
EBay is a rip-off.

They own the company that's buying the phones!
Never got any money, never got phone back.
There are no phone numbers to call.
866-319-3229 is Ebay instant sale.
No one ever answers and no way to leave message.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
As a seller you have zero fraud protection on eBay.

I was scammed a few years back by a guy who bought a $850 laptop from me, claimed it was not working, filed a dispute with PayPal and shipped it back with changed parts (battery he stole alone was worth $100).

PayPal deducted the full price from my bank account and put a hold on the $850 the buyer paid me. I was out $1700 that month. At least he sent something back so after one month I got my $850 back and was able to sell the remaining parts at a loss.

I had no recourse and PayPal wanted me to file a report with the police.

eBay and PayPal support fraud and their feedback system is in existent if you're the seller.

You probably had no recourse because you had no evidence that the buyer changed parts. Other sellers have gotten reimbursed under paypal seller protection after providing photographic evidence that the returned iPhones are in fact not the same. Taking pictures of all the parts before shipping it most likely would have helped your case so it really depends on how proactive you are.

----------

I sold my 64GB 4S on eBay a couple weeks before the iPhone 5 announcement. I decided to accept international buyers to increase the buying pool. The winning bidder was from Russia and had only 1 feedback but it was positive and was for a MacBook he had just purchased.

I had some trepidation about shipping the phone to Russia even though I had already received full payment. Regardless of my worries, I shipped the phone out to the buyer a couple days after I received payment and after about a month and one week I received positive feedback from him. All appears to be well.

I have since read lots of horror stories from people selling smartphone on eBay and shipping them specifically to Russia. Their postal system has a lot of corruption and they will often steal packages. I consider myself lucky this time around and will only sell my electronics inside the U.S. or countries with good postal systems.

You got lucky. I do ebay internationally but always exclude Russia, South America, Africa and Southeast Asia for obvious reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.