Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
That's checking by IMEI, not model number. Checking by model number is not a good way of checking and is not accurate.

it also tells you if the phone is locked or not, why don't you try it for youself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
it also tells you if the phone is locked or not, why don't you try it for youself.

You're mixing model number and IMEI. One is the same for a large group of iPhones and cannot be used to determine locked status. The other is unique to each iPhone and can be used to determine locked status. The model number is the one that is shared with many other iPhones. That site does not take model numbers. Attempting to use model numbers to determine locked status is not accurate and is very flawed.

Last edited:

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
You're mixing model number and IMEI. One is the same for a large group of iPhones and cannot be used to determine locked status. The other is unique to each iPhone and can be used to determine locked status. The model number is the one that is shared with many other iPhones. That site does not take model numbers. Attempting to use model numbers to determine locked status is not accurate and is very flawed. Do try to use the proper terminology before insulting others.

I already said in a previous quote that model number searching doesn't determine locked status therefore already helped the OP with an IMEI checker that actually tells you if the phone is locked or not

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I already said in a previous quote that model number searching doesn't determine locked status therefore already helped the OP with an IMEI checker that actually tells you if the phone is locked or not

are you dumb?

Do try keep with the more recent posts as well. kzia05 responded by your post number 3, which happens to be incorrect. I responded to kzia05 by saying that checking via the model number, which he gave, is an inaccurate way of checking an unlock status. You at no time ever said that model number doesn't determine locked status, that was me. You have repeatedly stated that a model number can be used to determine a locked status.

Last edited:

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Do try keep with the more recent posts as well. kzia05 responded by your post number 3, which happens to be incorrect. I responded to kzia05 by saying that checking via the model number, which he gave, is an inaccurate way of checking an unlock status. You at no time ever said that model number doesn't determine locked status, that was me. You have repeatedly stated that a model number can be used to determine a locked status. Once again, read thoroughly and know your stuff before insulting others.

I acknowledged my error right away on my second post and quoted the unlockboot.com website with the free IMEI checker which happens to tell you if the phone is locked or unlocked.

just read my second post that's all you need to do.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Regarding unlocking it is super easy. I unlocked my moms iphone 3gs. Just went to

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

and filled out the form. And in 7 days it was unlocked after restore in itunes.

I took it for battery replacement and got a new 3gs for 86 something. Not sure if the new one is unlocked though or not.

If I put in my tmobile sim card what happens? It just says no service or searching? How does that work? Or if I can make a call or get a text then it has to be unlocked?

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
If I put in my tmobile sim card what happens? It just says no service or searching? How does that work? Or if I can make a call or get a text then it has to be unlocked?

I would like to know this as well. I put in a tmobile sim and just got "no service." Is it unlocked and I just happen to be in a crappy coverage for tmobile?

I have a Verizon ip5.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I have the iPhone 3GS and was hoping to sell it. How do I know if it is unlocked? (Beside putting in another carrier SIM)
I jailbroken it before though, not sure if it is unlocked.
The phone can be used without the SIM card though.

Can I just also sell it to another ATT user? Will that work too?

Go to iPhoneox.com and type in your imei number. It will show you if it's factory unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.