Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mbman81

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Hi all,

One complaint I've heard about the glass screen protectors is that you have "only one shot" at getting the install perfect and if you have lint it doesnt come out.

Well I got the bodyguardz pure glass protector. Of course I had one lint hair under glass that I noticed a day after installing.

I was able to pop off the screen protector, take a lint roller to the phone screen an back of glass screen protector and put it back on. The hair still appeared to be there but I knew it came out.

This morning the glue had re-adhered where the hair left an imprint and now it's completely flawless.

I don't know if this applicable to to the Glas.t but does work on Pure with no negative effects. Probably does work on Glas.t too but I do not have first hand experience.

Tldr: you can use tape or a lint roller to remove hair or lint from Bodyguardz pure glass screen protector.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Good to know. I got 1 speck of dust under mine, right below the earpiece speaker. I have to say though, with the glass so thick, you can only see it in a certain angle with direct light, and since it is not on the display, I am leaving it.

I will also add, on the initial install, once you lay it down at first, you can move it a bit if you are a little off, and then once you like it, you can press down in the center and let it stick.

I just installed my second one on my wife's phone, and got it perfect - no dust, perfect alignment.

So bottom line, this one is somewhat forgiveable with the install, and I think a better buy than the Glas.t with the $12 replacements (and the 50% initial promotion).

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Hi,

I'm about ready to install this thing tomorrow, this is my 2nd attempt. My 1st didn't go so well as I ended up with multiple dust specks under the protector and after several re-applications, the adhesive side weakened. I took all the necessary precautions: steamy bathroom, lint-free cloth wipe down and air compressor to the screen, but somehow that didn't help. Extremely frustrating. So i'm guessing I should use a lint roller this time.

Just to be certain, I need to apply the lint roller against both the iPhone screen and the adhesive side of the Pure right before I set it down? This doesn't leave any residue on the iPhone screen and it doesn't affect the adhesive on the Pure?

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Hi,

I'm about ready to install this thing tomorrow, this is my 2nd attempt. My 1st didn't go so well as I ended up with multiple dust specks under the protector and after several re-applications, the adhesive side weakened. I took all the necessary precautions: steamy bathroom, lint-free cloth wipe down and air compressor to the screen, but somehow that didn't help. Extremely frustrating. So i'm guessing I should use a lint roller this time.

Just to be certain, I need to apply the lint roller against both the iPhone screen and the adhesive side of the Pure right before I set it down? This doesn't leave any residue on the iPhone screen and it doesn't affect the adhesive on the Pure?

and use the "hinge method" for installation got mine perfect on first try. Using this method allows you to quickly place the protector on the phone without trying to align it wich takes up too much time and allowing dust to come into play if you take too long.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
and use the "hinge method" for installation got mine perfect on first try. Using this method allows you to quickly place the protector on the phone without trying to align it wich takes up too much time and allowing dust to come into play if you take too long.

I actually did use the hinge method but also managed to muck it up. Once I had everything taped down, i removed the film protecting the adhesive side and I guess I misaligned the "hinge" so it ended up not matching up perfectly. Got rid of all the tape and just decided to do it manually, it's pretty easy to get everything centered quickly with a glass protector.

We'll see how it goes in a few hours when my replacement arrives...a bit nerve wrecking.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
How did you remove the screen protector safely so that you can reapply it without damage?

+1, how did you do this?

I have a spec of dust I want to remove trapped under my BG Pure but it seems nearly impossible to just "pop off" without using your finger nail damaging a corner and weakening the adhesive. I also tried duct tape to no avail.

Any tips?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
+1, how did you do this?

I have a spec of dust I want to remove trapped under my BG Pure but it seems nearly impossible to just "pop off" without using your finger nail damaging a corner and weakening the adhesive. I also tried duct tape to no avail.

Any tips?

You can do it with your finger, I removed mine that way.

I put the replacement on, and i got a tiny dust on the left side where the border meets the screen. I am just going to leave it, I am not going to push my luck as its aligned perfectly

golfgrouch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Venice, CA
You can do it with your finger, I removed mine that way...

Using your fingernail, correct? Unfortunately that can damage the adhesive layer.

Using tape to remove the screen doesn't seem to work since the Pure's screen is so slick it doesn't allow adhesives to stick securely enough.

The only thing I that I can think to remove the screen without damaging the adhesive layer is to by suction. Maybe a suction cup or even a vacuum cleaner's hose. Any thoughts or other ideas?

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
How long for any air bubbles to disappear? I noticed a few air bubbles under mine. Most nerve racking thing I have ever done, haha. it misaligned a little bit when I was rubbing air bubbles out but it is pretty close, maybe one mm off. I had the steam going with the hinge method.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
How long for any air bubbles to disappear? I noticed a few air bubbles under mine. Most nerve racking thing I have ever done, haha. it misaligned a little bit when I was rubbing air bubbles out but it is pretty close, maybe one mm off. I had the steam going with the hinge method.

Put a microfiber cloth over your thumb or index finger and you should be able to push/squeeze all air bubbles out with enough pressure. That's how I got rid of mine.

Using your fingernail, correct? Unfortunately that can damage the adhesive layer.

Yep, that's how I damaged my first BG Pure, by using a fingernail to the corner. It wouldn't adhere fully anymore afterwards so I had to toss it (AKA send it back for a $13 replacement.)

I was thinking a suction cup would work but I never heard anybody ever attempting it. Anybody wanna try and post their result? I was thinking something like this, 3/4" is the smallest of any I can find.

Last edited:

brokenbuyer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2011

There shouldn't be that many bubbles as the screen protector is glass and shouldn't form bubbles. But they should disappear after awhile.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
There shouldn't be that many bubbles as the screen protector is glass and shouldn't form bubbles. But they should disappear after awhile.

There isn't too many, just two. Although, I woke up this morning to some dust that had gotten under the corner, so I pulled it up to get rid of it and pushed it back down and I have another smaller air bubble. I really love the feel of it so if they don't go away or annoy me too much I will send it back for another. I almost wish they would send two so if you messed up you have another one :)

jrobl

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Wait so I installed the bodyguardz Pure today and it still caught lint under the screen. You can't really tell unless you look closely and under direct light. should I order a replacement because it could cause problems in the future or should I just leave it because it shouldn't affect anything other than aesthetic purposes?

And if I was to pop it off how can I do so without ruining it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

golfgrouch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Venice, CA
Wait so I installed the bodyguardz Pure today and it still caught lint under the screen. You can't really tell unless you look closely and under direct light. should I order a replacement because it could cause problems in the future or should I just leave it because it shouldn't affect anything other than aesthetic purposes?

And if I was to pop it off how can I do so without ruining it.

Thanks in advance!

If you can live with it, I recommend leaving it because you'll likely damage the adhesive layer if you try to remove it.

If you can't live with it, try lifting the glass with a small suction cup and use a piece of tape to remove the lint.

Last edited:

Statusquick

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Could someone advise me on getting rid of an air bubble? It appeared right in the middle of my screen the first time I put it on yesterday. I've since reapplied it twice and the spot just remains no matter how much I press on the spot :/

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
This might be a little off topic but I've read the bodyguardz doesn't stick up off the screen as much as the spigen does is this true? Their both listed as the same thickness I'm considering one of these for a sector 5 and don't like the look of it sticking up over the case

golfgrouch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Venice, CA
Could someone advise me on getting rid of an air bubble? It appeared right in the middle of my screen the first time I put it on yesterday. I've since reapplied it twice and the spot just remains no matter how much I press on the spot :/

Can you post photos? How did you remove the glass to reapply it?

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Just installed the Pure (and removed my Glas.t)... much happier with the Pure. While technically they're listed as the same height something about it makes it feel thinner, not really sure what but it no longer feels like I'm digging into a cave to press the home button.

All in all, while I'm unsure of the Glas.tR, I can easily say: Pure > Glas.t :)

jrobl

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
If you can live with it, I recommend leaving it because you'll likely damage the adhesive layer if you try to remove it.

If you can't live with it, try lifting the glass with a small suction cup and use a piece of tape to remove the lint.

I think I'll just let it be. Even though its not too visible, i still know its there but regardless i have it prefectly aligned so i won't risk it. If the lint causes problems in the future i.e. haziness or bubbles i'll just send it back and reinstall the replacement using the bathroom technique with a lint roller.

Statusquick

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Can you post photos? How did you remove the glass to reapply it?

See attached photo. I just used a flat metal hair pin thing I found. Came off easily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 903

icemanzzz

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Best protector hands down.. Only prob i have is that it collects lint and dust in the edges...

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Installed this yesterday. I did it in the bathroom, with the shower (hot water) running to steam it up, cleaned the screen, used my compressed air can (if you've never used compressed air...be careful because if you shake the can or tilt it or use it for a long time the air becomes more wet and compressed...almost like cold air) to blow of any dust sitting between the case and the phone, aligned the protector (with the tabs still on) and then taped it to the phone so I could do the hinge method, cleaned the screen again and peeled of the 1st tab...applied the screen protector and removed the second tab and it was all done.....then 3 mins later I had condensation under the screen protector (all along the right side...the tapes were on the left side). At first I thought my fingers touched the adhesive side because the condensation pattern had the same pattern as a finger print, but after a few hrs of having it on and rubbing it out (pun intended..haha) the condensation faded and I am really surprised with how well of a job I did. After reading other posts and seeing pics of dust under it I was so worried. Like others said, this is a one time shot...not much of a wiggle room.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

As for dust, this screen is a HUUUUUUGE dust magnet, HOWEVER, it's very smudge resistant. My hands do sweat/clam very quickly (sucks) and compared to the iphone screen this barely display any. I showed it to a few people at work today and everyone had the same question..."where's the screen protector" This blends into the screen so well that the only way they were able to tell the difference is when they went to hit the home button.

I was worried about the front facing camera being covered (as their website showed a model with a cut out of the camera, but mine didn't have it) but I took a self pic before and after applying the protector and I can't tell the difference. Then I thought about it and was glad they don't have a cut out, cause if you don't apply the protector perfectly and any part of the cut out gets in front of the camera then all your pictures will have a line in it...so glad they didn't do a cut out of the front facing camera.

Last edited:

BoomstickMafia

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2012
Hmmm all this talk of dust collecting. So, do I want to be smudge free (very oily person) or do I want to be dust free?

Does the dust remove easily? Like blowing on it?

Anyone using the Pure and Sector 5? Wondering about dust collecting with that combination or if the S5 deters dust. Can anyone comment on this please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.