Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Appletvgk
macrumors member

Sleep mode And server

I currently have my home Mac mini set to sleep after 15 min and sleep the hard drives. I use logmein for remote access, but I find direct access to a server is more reliable. I want to set up VPN, since screen sharing over VNC is not encrypted. I already have Mountain Lion Server (I use it to remotely manage another server). I haven't set up any services as of yet because I'm afraid I will lose sleep functionality. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks
Appletvgk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Tholian
macrumors member

Appletvgk

I'm running 10.8.2 with server 2.1.1 and I'm not having any problems with sleep. I run several websites and an sftp site; I have my computer go to sleep after an hour of no use and I have not had any problems accessing services. When it is left alone it goes to sleep as evidenced by unresponsive trackpad and the speed of waking up after hitting the keyboard. Just be sure to check the "wake for network access" option in the Energy Saver control panel.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Appletvgk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tholian View Post
Appletvgk

I'm running 10.8.2 with server 2.1.1 and I'm not having any problems with sleep. I run several websites and an sftp site; I have my computer go to sleep after an hour of no use and I have not had any problems accessing services. When it is left alone it goes to sleep as evidenced by unresponsive trackpad and the speed of waking up after hitting the keyboard. Just be sure to check the "wake for network access" option in the Energy Saver control panel.
Ok, any behavior changes that will occur when I activate the server services? Can Server be disabled easily?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Tholian
macrumors member

I've not noticed anything odd or unexpected. You will get a bunch of messages in the notification center about what your server is doing, but nothing outrages. AS far as turning it off, each services has a toggle that can be set to on or off. And the whole thing is just an application that can be deleted if you feel the need. Apple has a support document for lion server here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4827

It's not exactly the same but it is close.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Appletvgk
macrumors member

Do you have a SSH and screen Sharing turned on? My Mini won't sleep with these on
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Tholian
macrumors member

Appletvgk

I have SSH on, but I do not use screen sharing. Have you tried changing these settings to see what happens?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:42 AM   #7
marsmissions
macrumors 6502

Servers shouldn't be sleeping.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking