Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SCIENTIST29

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Hi, I bought a used powerbook g4 1,67ghz from ebay. Battery info in system profiler displays very strange information: 65432mah, I have tried reseting the PMU, but that was either unsuccesful or just didn't work. Any ideas? Also the powerbook is terribly slow- scrolling is permanently choppy, loading a web page takes much longer than on my Emac 1,25ghz. Could this be due to small RAM (512mb)? Could reinstalling OS help?? Thanks
Jan

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I don't know about the battery fix, but go into System Preferences, Accounts (or Users), and see what, if any, login items are set to run when the Mac starts up. Select and delete any you don't need. It's possible the previous owner had several things launching at startup.

But it could also be a failing hard drive.

To make sure the hard drive is healthy, go to Utilities, Disk Utility, and click on your Macintosh HD on the left, then click on Verify Disk. Do the same for Verify Permissions. If it finds any errors/problems, use the Repair function.

If all of that doesn't fix your problems, a fresh reinstall of the OS should can't hurt.

SCIENTIST29

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I forgot to mention that the battery doesn't hold more than ten minutes and displays over 400 cycles...

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Also the powerbook is terribly slow- scrolling is permanently choppy, loading a web page takes much longer than on my Emac 1,25ghz. Could this be due to small RAM (512mb)? Could reinstalling OS help?? Thanks
Jan

You don't mention what operating system you are using. If you're running Leopard, the small RAM could easily be the cause.

SCIENTIST29

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
You don't mention what operating system you are using. If you're running Leopard, the small RAM could easily be the cause.

Mac OS 10.4.11 is installed, i was planning on installing leopard. I might just reinstall tiger though. I ran all the tests in techtool pro 6 and it showed everything as ok, so I really dont know whats going on...

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I'm sure the battery is just toast. I've seen some pretty messed up readings on some of my older portables like that. One of the TiBooks has a higher mAh than it would have had new, but it still works. As for the slowness, 512MB is pretty weak even for Tiger, but it shouldn't be that bad in UI. I would look suspect a failing HDD to cause that sort of issue, but there is no sense in not upgrading the RAM first anyways. Drop the 2GB in there and then see what happens. If you're still seeing that choppiness, then I'd move on to replacing the HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.