Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple received significant criticism when it replaced Google Maps in iOS 6 with its own custom mapping solution. Google has since been said to be working on releasing its own standalone version to be released in the iOS App Store.

App Map [iTunes Link] developer Ben Guild has posted some early details and partial screenshots from Google's upcoming Maps application for iOS.

googlemaps_iphone_3.png
According to Guild, the standalone version of Google Maps for iOS is presently in alpha testing, but has some promising improvements over the old Google Maps. Guild reports that the new Google Maps is vector-based, has two-finger rotation to any angle, is "super fast" and supports the taller iPhone 5 screen.

screenshot2.jpg
The released partial screenshots aren't particularly revealing, but do seem to show that work is actively being done on the product. An early report claimed that Google may be targeting release by Christmas of this year. Meanwhile, Apple has been making improvements to its own Maps over time.

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS in Alpha Testing, Partial Screenshots and Details

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I was wondering if they were going to add turn by turn navigation just to piss Apple off. ;)

GL

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I was wondering if they were going to add turn by turn navigation just to piss Apple off. ;)

GL

I'm guessing they will, but it will also have more ads/branding and the other things that Google wanted from Apple.

arn

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Submitted on Christmas Day
Appears in App Store during Summer 2013

:eek:

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Apples strategy to surprise Google with early release certainly seems to have paid off with Google taking so long on releasing their own app. Many are going to get over the initial issues with Maps and stick with it.

----------

So they were able to take a few small photos of tiny blurred details, but couldn't get a photo of the entire screen...

Hmmmm...

Yea, this is the weirdest leak. Why are the pictures so vague and small?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I just drove 12,642mi cross country (2x) using the iOS6 maps app on the iPad as my only source of directions, and didn't have a single issue. I really expected chaos, but it's been fine. Doubt I'll bother with a second Maps app.

elau

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Pretty sure this was part of the logic behind the Map app. Now basically Google has to compete and put in all the features like turn by turn. As a regular App store app I doubt it will give Google all the user personal information it craves.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I won't be downloading it. The maps app does what I need it to do. I have not had one problem with it yet. I think a lot of people are saying there is problems with it because other people say there is. I'm aware that its not perfect yet, but it does what I need it for.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
A heartbeat download for me.

What I used a lot in Google maps was this process 1.) spotting a destination in Manhattan, 2.) seeing what the closest subway stop was to that destination; 3.) contrasted with what stop was closest to where I was standing, then 4.) figuring out what subway line would get me there; if not direct, then with the least amount of transfers. All that was gone with Apple's map. It had no subway stops no matter how closely you zoomed in.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
This just shows that Apple did the right thing.

If they had stuck with the old, outdated Maps app, iOS users would still be stuck without turn-by-turn and vector graphics.

Now we will be spoiled for choice. Apple Maps will continue to get better, and if for some reason it continues to bother you, there's going to be choice. There are benefits to having so many choices for apps...it's still Apple's greatest advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.