Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideapower

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
They won't be able to rebrand Sprint as "SoftBank". There are actually legal restrictions on US companies operating with the word "Bank" in their name, without using an alternate spelling such as "Banq" or "Banc".

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
er why? Softbank used to distribute "software". That's its original foundation a bank of software. do i think of a river when i see a bank? :confused:

/me Thinks you're reading too much into it. it's fairly obvious, and you know it why people might think "SoftBank" is an actual bank.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
crap, maybe i shouldn't have sold all my shares on Thursday... i have a feeling Sprint will skyrocket again tomorrow based on this news. Just on rumors the stock rose up to 19% in a day. Now it's the real deal TBA tomorrow.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
er why? Softbank used to distribute "software". That's its original foundation a bank of software. do i think of a river when i see a bank? :confused:

Arguing for the sake of arguing, eh? It's obvious why people might think SoftBank is a bank, and no, I don't think of a bank of software when I see a bank.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
The purchase is a huge one for Softbank, which is essentially making a $20 billion gamble that it success in developing LTE wireless services in its home market of Japan can be translated to the U.S. Sprint

Putting the poor quality of English in the OP comment aside: Speaking as a Japanese resident and former Softbank customer, I'd ask "What success?" I appreciate they have grand plans and have made a lot of promises, but so far they have very very limited coverage in their "home market".

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
They won't be able to rebrand Sprint as "SoftBank". There are actually legal restrictions on US companies operating with the word "Bank" in their name, without using an alternate spelling such as "Banq" or "Banc".
Or SoftBank Mobile will change their name once again.
I've been with them for a little over 10 years now, back when they were called "J-PHONE," after what they went as "Vodafone Japan" for a few years.

nedman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
What is this going to do to the stock price tomorrow?

It will open at or close to the offer price and sit there until the transaction is complete.

So share holders can sell now or wait until the transaction is complete at which time their share accounts will be automatically credited.

MarqueeK

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2009
This is going to be Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile all over again.
I can easily see SoftBank trying to get rid of Sprint in the near future like gum stuck to the bottom of the sole.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008

:confused::confused:

Citibank
Bank of America
TD Bank

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
What is this going to do to the stock price tomorrow?

I'm guessing its going to open around $7.00 and pretty much stay there. There is no point of getting it the morning after the market opens, because it will already be at its high.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
If Softbank can help make Sprint more competitive then I'm all for this new partnership. The US needs more competition when it comes to cell phone carriers. I'm tired of this mostly duopoly between Verizon and AT&T. T-Mobile and Sprint needs to be more competitive to gives us all real competition between the carriers.

More money is really what T-Mobile and Sprint needs. They need the money to improve their infrastructure to give people fast and reliable connections. Once they do that they will be competitive to Verizon and AT&T.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
If a foreign corporation is going to eat up Sprint.... I'd rather it be the Japanese than the Chinese.

I have little trust in Chinese multinational corporations, as evidenced by the recent news of Huawei and ZTE on the verge of being black-listed by the US and Canadian governments (due to their ties to the Communist Party, People's Liberation Army, and their involvement in espionage against the USA).

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Looking like sprint might become a real competitor.

Not a chance in h3ll if Softbank applies the same management principles it applies in Japan. It is well known as the worst of the (generally bad) Japanese carriers.

Japan has long had the most innovative handsets, but the services and plans are some of the worst in the world. And Softbank is the worst of a bad lot.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Exactly. Those are banks. SoftBank is not a bank. Sprint is not a bank. Where's your confusion?

The other guy cleared it up for me. Thought you were talking about all companies in general since it wasn't mentioned anywhere in your post.

Thanks though.

mcbrided

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009

Sure they can. I'll explain how after I complete my shopping at Jos A Bank.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.