Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retinambp.jpg
9to5Mac claims that Apple will debut the long-rumored 13" Retina MacBook Pro alongside the iPad Mini later this month.
The new 13-inch MacBook Pro will be sold in two configurations, with differing processors and storage, and will be available for purchase soon after introduction. Like with the 15-inch MacBook Pro lines, the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display will be sold (at a higher price) in addition to the current non-Retina display model.
The site typically sources this information from early part numbers, suggesting that two higher priced configurations have already appeared in Apple's systems.

predictions.jpg
The new models line up with analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's predictions of a separate Retina display lineup that will sell alongside the existing MacBook Pro line.

Apple introduced the 15" Retina MacBook Pro in June, but retained the existing 15" MacBook Pro as well. Apple appears to be continuing this pattern by providing two 13" MacBook Pros -- one with a Retina display and one without.

The iPad mini event is reportedly scheduled for October 23rd.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro to Launch Alongside iPad Mini in October

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
$1500+ for a 13" underpowered laptop with a nice screen...no thanks.

I'll keep my 13" Air

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Anyone know when the MacBook Air will be updated for retina display?

Having 13" Retina displays in production is a good start for a Retina Air. We'll have to wait and see if Apple's engeineers can pack enough horsepower into the Air to run that many pixels.

Bodypainter

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
It's so obvious: they have to call the mac book pro just mac book and the mac book pro retina just mac book pro. Then we have the mac book air, the mac book pro and the normal mac book...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's so obvious: they have to call the mac book pro just mac book and the mac book pro retina just mac book pro. Then we have the mac book air, the mac book pro and the normal mac book...

No, there won't be an Apple notebook that's named with only "MacBook"

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
I call BS on this announcement. The MBP may very well be available the same time as the iPad mini, but it won't be part of the same announcement/event.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
$1500+ for a 13" underpowered laptop with a nice screen...no thanks.

I'll keep my 13" Air

You do know your Air has a ulv(or if you have the C2D 13in model LV) intel CPU, while this is a full voltage i Core cpu. If you guys are unlucky Apple may sort of take over where the now discontinued craptastic Vaio Z left, i.e. high res display, quad core cpu, and maybe a gpu, be it internal or external(which is hampered a bit by the speeds of thunderbolt vs what that same gpu could do it it was on the mobo itself).

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
Is anyone else scratching their heads a little bit with this? It seems a little out of Apple's character to release a whole new product (ok, well, for the most part new) and then say, oh yeah btw here you go, have a laptop too.

If they're going to focus on textbooks it would make sense to launch the smaller iPad (mini, nano, little guy whatever) with some announcements from Pearson, MGH, etc and leave it at that.

But hey, I guess if they toss in a laptop that's cool too.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Would be very cool to see both these products go ahead, and both are gonna be pretty tempting - hope the 13" rMBP has a believable GPU going on. Maybe even a preview release of next CPU? :D

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Meh...

I think it'd be better if this was an "Oh yeah, here are those new MacPros you wanted, and some iMacs. Nothing HUGE, but necessary upgrades." announcements. It'll also be nice for those who use it if Apple announced a fixed version of Final Cut Pro.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

I agree and wish Apple would do this but I doubt they will.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I call BS on this announcement. The MBP may very well be available the same time as the iPad mini, but it won't be part of the same announcement/event.

Who cares if it gets announced with the iPad mini or not? As long as it gets announced. :rolleyes:

No. There will be:

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro
MacBook Pro Retina Display

There's already been a MacBook model which has been phased out and replaced with the MacBook Air.

What's obvious is the models for laptops will be:

MacBook Air (consumer)
MacBook Pro (professional with retina display) IMO 'Retina Display' will eventually be removed from 'MacBook Pro Retina Display'.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
After using the integrated GPU on rMBP and finding out how choppy and under performing it is, I think it would be a good idea to pass this IVY bridge and wait for Haswell. The GPU will be twice as fast which is badly needed for retina display. ;)

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
i could use a nice 17" model.

Pro media developers don't really need sexy thinness. We COULD use a week of battery life and lots and lots of ram/disk/GPU/CPU power.

Our "portable" systems are often rackmounted: http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/SKB_Studio_Flyer.asp

Yes, that's what Apple should do. After all these years of obsessing over thinness, SURPRISE! Now they're into the 'above-average' machines ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.