Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With multiple reports now indicating that Apple will be introducing its 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro at next week's rumored media event, details on the machine are also beginning to leak out.

According to a forum thread [Google translation] posted to Chinese site WeiPhone.com last week, the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro will indeed be launching late this month. The report claims that it will carry the same thermal design as the larger 15-inch model, but with only one contact pad indicating that it will not include a discrete graphics chip.

The source reports that the 13-inch model will include an "unprecedented" battery design and offer the same set of ports seen on the 15-inch model: MagSafe 2, a pair of Thunderbolt ports, a USB port, and a headphone jack on the left and a USB port, an HDMI port, and an SD card reader on the right.

13_inch_retina_macbook_pro_display_1.jpg
The report's source has also added a pair of photos showing what is claimed to be the display of the 13-inch model wrapped in plastic atop the same part from the 15-inch model. It doesn't appear that part can be conclusively identified as for a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro given the poor quality of the photos and an inability to assess the thickness of the display assembly, but it does appear consistent with the 15-inch Retina display and lacks the "MacBook Pro" branding seen on the bezel of non-Retina models.

13_inch_retina_macbook_pro_display_2.jpg
The forum poster does have at least some track record of obtaining photos of unreleased product parts, as he previously posted a photo of the current 15-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro's graphics chip and surrounding logic board components a day before the machine was announced.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Said to Carry 'Unprecedented' Battery Design, Same Port Layout as 15-Inch Model

yetieater

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
USA
Apple's suppliers have been dropping the ball. I don't want to know about the product before Apple announces it. Somebody fix this.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
All Apple battery layouts are unprecedented. Because they keep changing the insides of their cases.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It better be unprecedented as that screen is going to be a battery hog and there isn't too much room in a slim 13 inch laptop.

I'm not sure if this generation of retina pros are compelling compared to the Air. But I'm interested to find out. My Macbook is getting a little ragged.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
And cue the non-stop complaints about iMacs...

Oh, what's that, we had a rumor the other day? Well, let's complain just for the sake of complaining...

Last edited:

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hmmm, very interested in seeing what that "unprecedented" battery design is. Will this be the breakthrough in batteries we've all been waiting for?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just give me a 13" Retina Air, FFS.

A Retina Display may be how they differentiate the Air and Pro lines in the future, at least until yields are high enough. If this ships without a discrete GPU, as it appears it will, it should dispel the notion that the Air isn't capable of driving a Retina Display quickly.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
All Apple battery layouts are unprecedented. Because they keep changing the insides of their cases.

One has to wonder what that means. Maybe a move away from Lithium Ion batteries. I mean really there is nothing unprecedented about a wound up Lithium polymer battery that can basically take any form, so maybe something new is about to emerge.

At least the wait is only a week now. Still no Mini rumors though which sucks.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I imagine the Air will be the last Apple product to go retina due to the limited battery space (and when that happens, the MBP will just go away)

Indeed, especially since the rMBP is known to lag with its discreet card.
Yeah I can't help but feel this may be a better product in a year or two. Discrete really seems like a must.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Hmmm, very interested in seeing what that "unprecedented" battery design is. Will this be the breakthrough in batteries we've all been waiting for?

It will be glued to both the top and bottom of the case and iFixit will hand out the first ever zero for repairability (I kid).

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't expect a new battery technology that solves all our problems. It's probably thin batteries in some customized layout.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
On board Intel 4000 graphics driving a retina display?

Scarry

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

They'll keep that for a Retina Air. How do you fit a battery that can power that display in a body as slim as the Air?

That's my guess for a real unprecedented battery design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.