Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have an iMac that the family use. My daughter is now using MS office more. She had a windows laptop with it on also.

Rather than use boot camp (tried with the family non techys!) I think I'll just buy MS office for Mac. The 3 user (for future), is £80 off Amazon in UK. But I did a quick search and it seems a newer version of office is coming.

Anyone any ideas, what is new about it? Should I wait? Any comments

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Nobody can stop you from waiting, but I would not keep the motor running. Over the last decade or so, Microsoft has released new versions of Office every three to four years. Since 1997, for Windows:
  • Office 97
  • Office 2000
  • Office XP
  • Office 2003
  • Office 2007
  • Office 2010
  • Office 2013
Since 1998, for Mac:
  • Office 98
  • Office 2001
  • Office v.X
  • Office 2004
  • Office 2008
  • Office 2011
Only Office XP and Office v.X were released less than three years after the previous versions. This means that the earliest next version of Office:mac that you can expect is Office 2014 and that you can expect it no sooner than next year. However, Office 2014 may not be released until 2014. Microsoft may hold off releasing a new version of Office until 2015.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Past history shows:

• Microsoft brand names Office for Mac one year later than Office for Windows
  • Microsoft releases Office for Mac an average of nine months after releasing Office for Windows

Office 2015 was just released so it will be several months before we see the next version of Office for Mac.

When’s the next version of Office for Mac coming out?

FWIW the H&S does not contain Outlook. If your daughter needs Outlook you will need to get the H&B version. Outlook for Mac is a v1 product where Outlook for Windows is a mature product. You might be better off running Office 2015 on Parallels on your Mac.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for that, informative. So it looks like it's "safe" to buy Mac office 2011 now. We won't use a the features anyway and £80 for a 3 user seems decent.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Not for a good while yet, as Diane says.

----------

Anyone care to guess what the update/upgrade price will be from 2011?

There will not be one.

Microsoft dropped upgrade pricing with office 2011 as they reduced the price of it over previous versions.

A copy of office 2011 costs less than the old upgrading price from 2004-2008

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well I was back looking for Office for Mac again, and if you buy and activate Office now, you get the new version (think its 360), for free when it comes out :)

So glad I waited now, cant be huffed at that deal!!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I was back looking for Office for Mac again, and if you buy and activate Office now, you get the new version (think its 360), for free when it comes out :)

So glad I waited now, cant be huffed at that deal!!

Yep Office 365 subscription for the year :)

Remember 365 is a cloud based service however. Please be aware of that, it may not replace your desktop office, its more designed to be a companion to it.

So its not like PC users who get a new desktop version of Office 2013, Mac Users get the web based cloud service as it will be a good while before a new desktop version of the mac software is out.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yep Office 365 subscription for the year :)

Remember 365 is a cloud based service however. Please be aware of that, it may not replace your desktop office, its more designed to be a companion to it.

So its not like PC users who get a new desktop version of Office 2013, Mac Users get the web based cloud service as it will be a good while before a new desktop version of the mac software is out.

Office 2013 is only partially cloud based and with the subscription you'll be able to install it on up to 5 computers, Mac or PC. You can check it out here http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en. Office 365 is a separate product.

Oh now I'm confused!!

So what will i get then, Office that only works for a year? I dont want a subscription, prefer to buy it and work?

We dont use it that much, but when the wife and kids o they use Office at work/school , so want to keep the consistency

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Oh now I'm confused!!

So what will i get then, Office that only works for a year? I dont want a subscription, prefer to buy it and work?

We dont use it that much, but when the wife and kids o they use Office at work/school , so want to keep the consistency

Cloud based apps are the way most software developers are headed as it is easier to deploy updates over the entire user base in one fell swoop.

Adobe and Intuit have already launched cloud based subscription models. As broadband speeds improve, expect to see more companies going exclusively cloud based.

Adapt now or adapt later. But eventually, you'll have to adapt.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Oh now I'm confused!!

Just to resolve your confusion. You can buy Office for Mac 2011 now. That will give you Mac versions of the office desktop apps. These are normal apps.

You also get 1 years free subscription to Office 365, which is Microsoft's online (cloud based) office apps - which is a little like Google's cloud based office App service. After the 1st years subscription is up - you will still be able to use the desktop apps, but will need to take out a subscription if you want to continue to use the cloud based Office 365 service.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Cloud based apps are the way most software developers are headed as it is easier to deploy updates over the entire user base in one fell swoop.

Adobe and Intuit have already launched cloud based subscription models. As broadband speeds improve, expect to see more companies going exclusively cloud based.

I agree, but is this offer then only for a 1 year office 365 whatever its called? I wont get a "proper" office version that I can use for as long as I want on my Macs?

So really if so its a "upgrade now, get the new version for 1 year" offer? is this correct?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I agree, but is this offer then only for a 1 year office 365 whatever its called? I wont get a "proper" office version that I can use for as long as I want on my Macs?

So really if so its a "upgrade now, get the new version for 1 year" offer? is this correct?

I am guessing that you did not see my reply before you replied to Spider's response. Hopefully you are clear that the current release of office for Mac 2011 contains a normal suite of desktop Office Apps, plus a 'free' 1 year subscription to Microsoft's Online office suite, office 365.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I am guessing that you did not see my reply before you replied to Spider's response. Hopefully you are clear that the current release of office for Mac 2011 contains a normal suite of desktop Office Apps, plus a 'free' 1 year subscription to Microsoft's Online office suite, office 365.

Apologises I didn't!

Ah ok so I'm not actually getting an upgrade as such, I'm just getting a 1 year subscription, when it will then run out, I will just have my Office 2011 for Mac - yes? Am I understanding this correct?, if so its a little misleading from MS

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Adobe's model is not the same. You are basically 'renting' the software for a monthly fee. It downloads and installs fully as like any other Creative Suite product onto your computer and does not need constant internet access and none of its apps are hosted 'online' they are all offline on your computer. It only needs internet access once in a while to re-authorise itself in the background (check your account is up to date).

Adobe offer some cloud storage with the service, but the Applications themselves are not web based.

So this is NOT the same thing as Microsoft 365 at all even remotely other than a subscription pricing model.

----------

Office 2013 is only partially cloud based and with the subscription you'll be able to install it on up to 5 computers, Mac or PC. You can check it out here http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en. Office 365 is a separate product.

Office 2013 (a desktop product with some integrated Office 365 features) is not for Mac period. What they mean is that the web based Office 365 part can be used on a Mac.

----------

Just to resolve your confusion. You can buy Office for Mac 2011 now. That will give you Mac versions of the office desktop apps. These are normal apps.

You also get 1 years free subscription to Office 365, which is Microsoft's online (cloud based) office apps - which is a little like Google's cloud based office App service. After the 1st years subscription is up - you will still be able to use the desktop apps, but will need to take out a subscription if you want to continue to use the cloud based Office 365 service.

Exactly.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Apologises I didn't!

Ah ok so I'm not actually getting an upgrade as such, I'm just getting a 1 year subscription, when it will then run out, I will just have my Office 2011 for Mac - yes? Am I understanding this correct?

Yes, that is correct, Microsoft wants to try and push its new cloud based Office 365 products that you access via a web browser, so is basically giving you a one year free trial. You will still have access to the Office 2011 for Mac Apps that are installed on your Mac's hard disk.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Office 2013 (a desktop product with some integrated Office 365 features) is not for Mac period. What they mean is that the web based Office 365 part can be used on a Mac.

I just checked and you are correct. Currently it's only for Windows however, I listen to Paul Thurrott's podcast about all things Windows almost every week and he specifically said it will support Mac. So while it may not support it now I have to believe that it will be supported in the future. He has a very good track record and knows quite a few people in Microsoft so his information is usually spot on. He even mentions it in this article.

Also it might be worth it to use it via Parallel's or dual boot. The subscription is $99 per year and comes with 5 household licenses. It's a perfect solution for a family that needs multiple copies. Also from what I understand you can deactivate a license (If you have none left) and install Office on any other machine temporarily. It installs in minutes and you can even start using it before it completely downloads. Of course this depends on your internet connection speed.

I think Microsoft have made it a very compelling offer at $99.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just checked and you are correct. Currently it's only for Windows however, I listen to Paul Thurrott's podcast about all things Windows almost every week and he specifically said it will support Mac. So while it may not support it now I have to believe that it will be supported in the future. He has a very good track record and knows quite a few people in Microsoft so his information is usually spot on. He even mentions it in this article.

A

Well us MVP's for Office for Mac haven't heard anything directly from Mac BU and unless there is some breaking news at the microsoft summit I wouldn't hold your breath for too long ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.