Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
Hi people,

Is there a way to define a 'file printer' in OS X? I use matlab (which does not support saving m-files as PDF from the editor), and I'm looking for a way to print them to a PDF/PS file.

Thanks,
Am.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
File -> Print

There should be a "PDF" option if the program uses a standard Apple printer dialog. If it does not use this dialog, then there is usually an option to switch to the standard Apple printer dialog.

Picture 1.png

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
Thanks, however, since I don't have any printers connected to my machine, all I get when I select File->Print is the following error message:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 212

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You should still be able to access the printer dialog even without a printer installed. The program you're using must not use the standard Apple dialog.

NevilRead

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
London, Canada
Problem re-rears its head

Is it possible to set a printer location (ie the ip address when adding printer) to be a socket or pipe or something that dumps into a file?

I'm using os X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and the instructions, above, in this thread don't work. Actually the provided link includes a note that it does not work with Leopard but provides no solution.

The problem is that there is no longer an "output options" option in the list where it used to be in earlier versions of the OS.

Sadly I have a package that prints acceptably to my letter sized ps printer, but the resolution it uses on the PDF option in the print dialog is terrible. They must have it set for 72dpi, and they always generate letter sized pdf files. There appears to be no way for me to change the resolution generated when printing to pdf.

I need to create an EPS or PDF file using postscript driver so I am able to preserve the resolution on a Super B sized page. I need to be able to send an EPS or PDF to a shop that will print the large format for me.

Would be so happy if someone could resolve this.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Is it possible to set a printer location (ie the ip address when adding printer) to be a socket or pipe or something that dumps into a file?

I'm using os X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and the instructions, above, in this thread don't work. Actually the provided link includes a note that it does not work with Leopard but provides no solution.

The problem is that there is no longer an "output options" option in the list where it used to be in earlier versions of the OS.

Sadly I have a package that prints acceptably to my letter sized ps printer, but the resolution it uses on the PDF option in the print dialog is terrible. They must have it set for 72dpi, and they always generate letter sized pdf files. There appears to be no way for me to change the resolution generated when printing to pdf.

I need to create an EPS or PDF file using postscript driver so I am able to preserve the resolution on a Super B sized page. I need to be able to send an EPS or PDF to a shop that will print the large format for me.

Would be so happy if someone could resolve this.

I already have multiple printers set up on ML, so I don't know if this will work for you but... In System Preferences, pick Print and Fax. Then pick new printer and IP should show up as one of the options/icons you can choose. Once you pick IP, put in localhost for the ip address and pick generic postscript printer.

This gives you a local printer that the system thinks you own and you should now get a system print dialog and from there you can choose PDF to save to a pdf file. If you don't have an IP icon for picking a new printer, I suggest you add a brother printer, telling the machine it's on the network. Of course OSX won't find the printer but perhaps it will add the IP icon to your printer pane in system preferences. I mention brother because all of my printers are brother printers and they are all network printers.

NevilRead

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
London, Canada
In System Preferences, pick Print and Fax. Then pick new printer and IP should show up as one of the options/icons you can choose. Once you pick IP, put in localhost for the ip address and pick generic postscript printer.

This gives you a local printer that the system thinks you own and you should now get a system print dialog and from there you can choose PDF to save to a pdf file.

Yes, this generates the same terrible pdf file I get with my ps printer driver.

I was trying to not use the "pdf" button in the print dialog but capture actual print output.

----------

Install CUPS-PDF as a printer and you will kill two birds with one stone

(no animal was harmed in this post)

Thanks works great... now if I can just get cups-pdf to give me large paper sizes, but still a big improvement even at letter size.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.