Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys quick question. Is it possible to unlock crickets iphone 5 and use it on a gsm carrier? I ask cause Verizon's iPhone 5, if unlocked, could be used on AT&T 3G network.

Etan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
I have a cricket iPhone 5 and it is very much locked! Still looking for a way to unlock. Model numbers are different anyway too.
Cricket: MD105LL
Verizon: MD655LL

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I have a cricket iPhone 5 and it is very much locked! Still looking for a way to unlock. Model numbers are different anyway too.

oh. darn, thats def a blower.

the cricket iphone 5 was attractive cause its 100 less on off contract pricing. Looks like theres no point in buying one though.

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012

May I know what kind of networks have you tried?
;)

narendemon

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012

did u try restoring ur iphone in itunes and then using a different carrier... i heard tht the iphone 5 gets unlocked wen u restore.. pls let know if it works ..
thanks

Etan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Didn't notice my post was getting attention, sorry about that. Yes I tried the restore phone trick with no luck (when you finish the restore it says locked to cdma). I tried putting a cut down H2O card in (which had worked in a verizon iphone 5), and only got "searching". I was told by Cricket the the phone is unlocked for INTERNATIONAL USE ONLY!

ouchyoung

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Didn't notice my post was getting attention, sorry about that. Yes I tried the restore phone trick with no luck (when you finish the restore it says locked to cdma). I tried putting a cut down H2O card in (which had worked in a verizon iphone 5), and only got "searching". I was told by Cricket the the phone is unlocked for INTERNATIONAL USE ONLY!

Yep, I paid a lot of attention to your experience, lol... Actually I think you have noticed that someone has tried out that the device also encountered the same problem in UK, not reporting an invalid SIM card but just keeps on searching for signal.

BTW, have you traveled inside the US where is not covered by the Cricket's own network? They told me that iPhone would not be guaranteed to work when it's covered by their partners' network such as Spring or MetroPCS... Crossing my fingers, waiting for your answer! Thanks! :)

Stheking

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Cricket iphone 5 activated in israel

Hi to all
Just manage to activated the cricket iphone 5 in israel to hotmobile - umts /gsm

Etan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
I can confirm that they "Told" me it was unlocked for international use, but I have not tried it. I have enough trouble getting Cricket service where they say I can expect to get it. WILL be returning the phone within the 30 day period. Totally dissatisfied with Cricket and would NOT recommend it anyone! Its really not worth it! Even T-mobile was cheaper and better than this!

Stheking

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I can confirm that they "Told" me it was unlocked for international use, but I have not tried it. I have enough trouble getting Cricket service where they say I can expect to get it. WILL be returning the phone within the 30 day period. Totally dissatisfied with Cricket and would NOT recommend it anyone! Its really not worth it! Even T-mobile was cheaper and better than this!
Etan
Try to disable all cellular switching in settiing>network>
and then try to serch manual for provaider

That solve my problem after i do restore in itune

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
Etan
Try to disable all cellular switching in settiing>network>
and then try to serch manual for provaider

That solve my problem after i do restore in itune

Mine keeps saying Searching... when I put in a UK SIM Card. Have done all the restore and everything. There is a Carrier option right under Settings. When I try to set the Automatic off it'll search for a bit but then it says "Unable to load network list".

Stheking

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Mine keeps saying Searching... when I put in a UK SIM Card. Have done all the restore and everything. There is a Carrier option right under Settings. When I try to set the Automatic off it'll search for a bit but then it says "Unable to load network list".
I have the same problem for about 2 houre.
After i disable all the cellular switch i set to manual for searching carrier and from there i select my carrier.

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
I noticed that the iPhone 5 is not on Cricket's website anymore. Are they not selling it anymore?

cricketiphone5

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Cricket iphone 5 in ho chi min city vietnam

I bought 2 iphone5's in the usa, one black and one white.
I activated the black one on crickets USA network, white one was never activated, then took both of them to vietnam.

I took the black iphone to 2 cell phone stores, both said it could not be unlocked. First one put a sim card in, but only waited about 1 minute before taking it out and saying it would not work. 2nd store just looked at the settings and said it was not possible.

I bought a mobifone SIM card, cut it down to fit in the iphone5 and after about 5 minutes of searching it located the network. Instead of saying Cricket in the top left hand corner it san VNphone or something similar, I forget now. I was very happy

So bolstered with this success I cut down a second sim card and put it into the white iphone, no luck. swapped the sim cards between the white and black phones and now netiher of them worked. After 10 minutes the black one finally worked. So the black one worked with both cards and the white one did NOT work with either cards.

after an hour I switched the black iphone to the original sim card since I knew the phone number associated with that card and it never found the net work again. :(

tha't my experience.

Also the voice mail on these cricket iphone5's has been a disaster. after owning it for a few days, all of my visual voice mails were erased and people that called me got a recorded message saying my number was not valid.

after an hour at the store and two days latter I got my voice mail back but visual voice mail was still not working. In vietnam I checked my voice mail and got a recorded computer message stating I had 80 new voice mails and my inbox was full. I only had 8 new voce mails.

I'll try to restore the phone in itunes, although Ive never done that before.

kevincredible

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
London
I bought 2 iphone5's in the usa, one black and one white.
I activated the black one on crickets USA network, white one was never activated, then took both of them to vietnam.

I took the black iphone to 2 cell phone stores, both said it could not be unlocked. First one put a sim card in, but only waited about 1 minute before taking it out and saying it would not work. 2nd store just looked at the settings and said it was not possible.

I bought a mobifone SIM card, cut it down to fit in the iphone5 and after about 5 minutes of searching it located the network. Instead of saying Cricket in the top left hand corner it san VNphone or something similar, I forget now. I was very happy

So bolstered with this success I cut down a second sim card and put it into the white iphone, no luck. swapped the sim cards between the white and black phones and now netiher of them worked. After 10 minutes the black one finally worked. So the black one worked with both cards and the white one did NOT work with either cards.

after an hour I switched the black iphone to the original sim card since I knew the phone number associated with that card and it never found the net work again. :(

tha't my experience.

Also the voice mail on these cricket iphone5's has been a disaster. after owning it for a few days, all of my visual voice mails were erased and people that called me got a recorded message saying my number was not valid.

after an hour at the store and two days latter I got my voice mail back but visual voice mail was still not working. In vietnam I checked my voice mail and got a recorded computer message stating I had 80 new voice mails and my inbox was full. I only had 8 new voce mails.

I'll try to restore the phone in itunes, although Ive never done that before.

Let me know how it goes. So does it say "Searching..." in the top right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.