Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider has posted a list of 24 different model numbers said to be for Apple's "iPad mini" scheduled for introduction at a media event next Tuesday.

ipad_mini_part_numbers.jpg
According to the list, the iPad will be available in four basic device variants that presumably correspond to different capacities: P101, P103, P105, and P107. The set of four variants suggests that Apple may be releasing the iPad mini with capacities ranging from 8 GB up to 64 GB.

Each of those four variants is available in three different flavors designated "GOOD", "BETTER", and "BEST" that are presumed to be related to connectivity options. Apple appears set to launch both Wi-Fi and cellular-capable models, with the three flavors suggesting that there may be multiple cellular-capable versions such as separate 3G and 4G LTE models. Alternatively, there may simply be two different LTE-capable versions in order to support the various carrier networks available around the world, although it is unclear why one such model would be designated "BETTER" and another "BEST".

Finally, each model and variant is available in "A" and "B" versions, which almost certainly refer to color options. Current iPad models are available with black and white front panels, but rumors and part leaks have suggested that Apple may be extending those color differences to the aluminum rear shell with anodization as on the iPhone 5.

Update 7:36 AM: An alternate theory on the various models suggests that the "Good, Better, Best" designations refer to three different capacities, which would be more in line with Apple's previous use of the terms. In this scenario, the P101/P103/P105/P107 would refer to four separate hardware models, which could include Wi-Fi only models and perhaps several different cellular-capable models. The A/B designations would continue to refer to two color options.

Update 7:59 AM: 9to5Mac has independently received the part numbers and believes that some of them refer to the rumored tweaked full-size iPad with Lightning connector.

In this scenario, 12 of the new model numbers represent the iPad mini in a combination of three capacities, two colors, and two connectivity variants (Wi-Fi and cellular). The remaining 12 model numbers would represent the tweaked full-size iPad with a similar matrix of configurations. In the United States where Apple sells both GSM and CDMA cellular models, the full product matrix could include 36 different iPads: 18 iPad mini models and 18 tweaked full-size iPad models.

Article Link: Part Numbers Reveal Apple's Plan for 24 Different 'iPad Mini' Models [Updated x2]

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I'm gonna be getting one of Best models for my wife for Christmas/Anniversary. Gonna be great! She always complains of our iPad's weight! Glad to see that Apple is addressing the smaller tablet arena with lots of models. We call that "throwing down" where I come from!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Holy crap! o_O I guess that 8GB model is how they're going to get that low entry level pricing possible..

----------

Shouldn't invitations be going out today or tomorrow for the supposed 10/23 event?

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
If Steve Jobs was still with us,
These would have been coded

Great, Greater, Greatest :D

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
With the Surface coming out soon, you can bet that Apple is going to send out invitations for their event to rain a little on Microsoft's parade.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
If the 8GB is gonna be as cheap as rumored, I might actually give this a try. I love my current iPad, but there are times I wish it'd be just a bit smaller...

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Prices

Ranging from $199 to $399. With this number of options I think they'll have a winner.

That is if this really happens. All of this still could be strategic leaks. and nothing will happen until next spring when the iPad4 and iPad Mini come out at the same time.

jpvd

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Colours?

I reckon that the variation will be with colours, in line with the new iPod touches, with good, better, best being 3 storage sizes.

Three stages of connectivity doesn't sound likely to me.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Ranging from $199 to $399. With this number of options I think they'll have a winner.

That is if this really happens. All of this still could be strategic leaks. and nothing will happen until next spring when the iPad4 and iPad Mini come out at the same time.

A larger range than that, I'd say. If they have at least 3 or more storage configurations, and at least 2 or more wireless configurations, then I doubt they'll stay within a $200 price range.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
With that many variants there is no doubt they are going to hit that $199 mark. If they pull that off they just destroyed the tablet market like the iPod did back in the day.

jpvd

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Revised iPad 3 also?

Perhaps the part numbers also include a revised iPad 3 with lightning etc.

That would be 12 models for each size, equating to three storage sizes and wifi only/LTE available in black and white

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Wildcard, but perhaps the 'best' variant is a Retina capable 4G one?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Might start at 199 or 249 and then break into iPad pricing

IE (in USD)

199 or 249

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
duh the prices have leaked already starting at 249€ incl. 19 % vat to 649€ for the 64GB wifi+data version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.