Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
Rec'd my Hex Torino Red Solo wallet case today. Put two cards in easily and decided to try a third. The fit is pretty snug right now. I'll give it a few days to breakin, and throw in a fourth card later.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    140 KB · Views: 191
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 196

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Looks good!! I just wish that it came in brown though. White would get to dirty and I'm tired of black cases.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
they are 3d printed cases from shapeways.com

it's on the list of cases but the link is broken.. but if you do a search for Amznfx you can see all the models.

i would add the direct link.. but i dont want to get banned.. if you have any feedback on the designs please let me know

Very cool looking cases, but I have a few questions:

1. You "3D printed" these cases? Why does that sound kind of cheap, poorly fitting and unreliable? I don't understand the concept, but it does not sound the same as what a company like Incipio or Speck does to make cases. Help me out with this.

2. I went to this site: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/amznfx, and it looked like those cases were all for iPhone 4. The only ones for the iPhone 5 were metal.

3. What software do I need to 3D print my own design?

amznfx

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Very cool looking cases, but I have a few questions:

1. You "3D printed" these cases? Why does that sound kind of cheap, poorly fitting and unreliable? I don't understand the concept, but it does not sound the same as what a company like Incipio or Speck does to make cases. Help me out with this.

2. I went to this site: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/amznfx, and it looked like those cases were all for iPhone 4. The only ones for the iPhone 5 were metal.

3. What software do I need to 3D print my own design?

When i designed my case there weren't many wallet option out there. I designed this because i wanted a Case, Card Holder, Money Clip, earphone organizer and a bottle opener. (now i have a kickstand option).
Today we have more options (some i think bit of my idea) but none of them keep their case slim as mine specially with a money clip.

3D printing allows me to make multiple case models acccording to people's requests and needs. i should have about 14 -16 DIFFERENT case models for the iphone 5 and some can be custumized. This would be almost impossible in traditional in regular manufacturing.

1.-The downfall of 3d printing is that it cost more so i make less. for example by traditional manufacturing it cost 2 or 3 bucks to manufacture so everything else is profit. 3d printing cast about 20-25 bucks per print depending on the model so the profit is a lot less. (shapeways.com takes a cut too)

The fitting and quality is comparable to products in the market. I think 3d printing gives it an extra wow factor in my opinion. People who have used my cases prefer my cases instead of store bought ones

I'm working with a company that might help me mass manufacture my product but as of now the only way to get them it's to 3d print them.

(speck and insipio use mass production using a method called injection molding)

2.- That link is my store front.. it shows my iphone 4 cases and my iphone 5 cases.. I have actual pictures of the iphone 4 cases in most models.

Because the The iphone 5 just came out i havent had time to print all of my models. right now only one of them has actual pictures. I'm getting more prints on the 18th so i will progressibly add pictures as time passes. The metal picture you see are 3d renders of the case but you can order them in different colors and materials once you pick a model.

Because i want to keep the case slim you can't order the metal options. So if you are looking for the gold plated option i would have to make one specially for you :) (it's $130)

3.-I use a combination of Maya and meshlab to design my products. shapeways.com prints them... I have a couple of tutorials on youtube in how to make your own (mstyle183). I changed the way i do them so dont quote me on those. I will upload a new video soon after i get some sleep. However, if you lack the skills to make your own design i'm starting a company where we help people make their products. I also ordered my own 3d printer which should get here in about 3 weeks.

Last edited:

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Wow, that is very cool! I think I may order one of yours, once I have a chance to see the different options available! I totally agree with you re: making it an all-in-one case. Good luck! :)

lcastillo1475

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
I ordered the killspencer card carrier for the iPhone 5 and have to say that it is the best card case I've ever had. The iPhone 5 feels great "naked" and this case allows for that feeling to stil be there and still hold 3 cards for me in a minimal package, wood feels great as well, it is pricey but the concept is great!

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
I ordered the killspencer card carrier for the iPhone 5 and have to say that it is the best card case I've ever had. The iPhone 5 feels great "naked" and this case allows for that feeling to stil be there and still hold 3 cards for me in a minimal package, wood feels great as well, it is pricey but the concept is great!

Link?

wratran

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010

what keep the card from falling out?
How is it attach to the phone? I couldnt tell from their pictures

lcastillo1475

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012

what keep the card from falling out?

It has an industrial adhesive that sticks to the back of the phone. So its like "glued" right on the back of the phone; and this is what made me think twice about ordering the case but when I did and received it, the adhesive doesn't leave residue when you want to take the carrier off. I put the carrier on the back of the phone and it stuck really well, but just to try it i took it off and it came off without leaving residue (which is good for resale value for the iphone 6 lol)....as far as what keeps the cards from falling out is that there is a spring inside of the card slot that is lifted when you put a card in, so the spring is always applying pressure to the cards even if you only have one in there it wont fall out.

I gotta say though, i absolutely LOVE this "case", i dont really consider it a full on case since it doesn't protect the phone but then again i wasnt looking for any type of added bulk to the phone to protect it, only a way to hold my credit card, drivers license and work badge.

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008

matt94gt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Victoria BC Canada
Rec'd my Hex Torino Red Solo wallet case today. Put two cards in easily and decided to try a third. The fit is pretty snug right now. I'll give it a few days to breakin, and throw in a fourth card later.

I was looking at getting the hex solo wallet looks good, how do you like this one having it for a while?

This is the one I am looking at:
http://www.shophex.com/shop/cases/iphone-5/solo-wallet-for-iphone-5

Also the HEX stealth card looks sweet but im curious:

- if removing the case to get the card all the time will be hassle/cause scratches
- can it fit more then one card?

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
I was looking at getting the hex solo wallet looks good, how do you like this one having it for a while?

This is the one I am looking at:
http://www.shophex.com/shop/cases/iphone-5/solo-wallet-for-iphone-5

Also the HEX stealth card looks sweet but im curious:

- if removing the case to get the card all the time will be hassle/cause scratches
- can it fit more then one card?

Really like it and love the feel of the leather. The leather has loosened enough that I can get 4 cards in. Its a snug fit but still easy enough to remove the cards.

Not sure about the Stealth but I would assume it only fits 1 card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.