Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
ALS sensor on several years and generations of products, and Apple suddenly decides its not needed??

Sometimes it does dim when I don't want to, but most of time it picks the right level.

-1 Apple.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I find the ambient light sensor to be a useful feature. Maybe they could have built it into the camera or something.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
Classic example of making something thinner for no logical reason

iPhone 5 is thinner then the 4 but if they retained the thickness they could have dramatically improved battery life. I have never met or heard someone say the iPhone 4 was too thick or heavy.

They have dramatically improved battery life compared to the 4. I could get just over a day of use and standby (combined) on a good day on all 3 of my iPhone 4. iPhone 5 I get over 2days of use and standby (combined) on most occasions. Even with heavy use I get a good 1day 14hrs total.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I understand some people like the functionality of the ambient light sensor - but it's pretty much the first thing I disable on any device - whether phone, ipod, or laptop. The constant small shifts in brightness drive me nuts.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
They have dramatically improved battery life compared to the 4. I could get just over a day of use and standby (combined) on a good day on all 3 of my iPhone 4. iPhone 5 I get over 2days of use and standby (combined) on most occasions. Even with heavy use I get a good 1day 14hrs total.

good use? what does that mean? By all reports heavy LTE usage and general usage of the phone will not last more then one day.

again, it's been heavily reported battery performance is the SAME as the 4S, so unless you have super special edition you're just lying

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I wonder how many criticizing the lack of the ALS on the iPod touch 5G actually own the device.

I do, and the absence of the light sensor is immaterial to me. The touch 5G is fast, has good battery life, and the camera is a hundred times better than the camera on my iPad 2 (3G).

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
It's not about thinness people it's about weight. That is my favorite thing about the iPhone 5 it's freakin light! hold an iphone 5 with a 4 it feels like a brick..

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA

iPhone 5 is thinner then the 4 but if they retained the thickness they could have dramatically improved battery life. I have never met or heard someone say the iPhone 4 was too thick or heavy.
The iPhone 4 was too thick and heavy. Now you've heard it. Seriously, thickness and weight were among the biggest reasons I upgraded to the 5. So was my broken screen -- which was caused in part because the 4 is 25% heavier than the 5 & so falls with 25% more force when it hits the ground.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't understand how the thickness of the device is an excuse. Make it thicker then...

The problem of your logic is that it doesn't stop at the light sensor.
Why not:
* add a better camera and make it thicker (and more expensive)?
* add stereo speakers (and lounder) and make it thicker (and more expensive)?
* add an option for 128GB capacity and make it thicker (and more expensive)?
* add NFC and make it thicker (and more expensive)?
* add cell network capability and make it thicker (and more expensive)?
etc.

They have to make choices and balance tradeoffs or the thing would be the size of a brick and cost $1000.

You can argue any one or two features, but not the overall philosophy

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
I wonder how many criticizing the lack of the ALS on the iPod touch 5G actually own the device.

I do, and the absence of the light sensor is immaterial to me. The touch 5G is fast, has good battery life, and the camera is a hundred times better than the camera on my iPad 2 (3G).

Light sensor might not be a big deal but Apple's obsession with thinness to the level of form over functionality is crazy. They could put a bigger battery and some other stuff instead of making an already thin device thinner.

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
Don't be ridiculous. Before they did that - they would create a new proprietary connector (like lightening) rendering every single wired headset useless so you had to buy their headphones. Now they might license the tech to a select few - but not for several months.

And oh yeah - the new headsets wouldn't come with the iDevice - it would be sold separately. Also available would be an adapter IF you wanted to use regular headphones

Wasn't the first iPhone not fully compatible with all the headphones? I remember having to buy an extender or something like that.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I hate it how these days, the high profile Apple employees try to persuade you how good things are (I'm mainly talking about Schiller, Forstall and Cook here).

"It is a remarkable device!"

"Maps are SO beautiful"

"It's just gorgeous"

"We absolutely love this at Apple, absolutely LOVE it"

It just looks desperate?

Steve would have just gone "here it is, it's so cool", end of. Then of course, we would have opened our lovely new Apple gadgets and thought "yeah, this is pretty cool!".

But now it seems that the recent decline in quality of some Apple products (Maps, lack of light sensor on new Touches, no groundbreaking new features in iOS 6 that work properly) has resulted in the top dogs getting desperate, and trying to persuade us that Apple products are really cool rather than just showing us how cool they are. I just think it comes across desperate, and isn't smooth like Steve was.

Just my thoughts...

I think you're reading too much into it.

Steve has always said something like that... hello! how about 'it is magical!'

And companies, especially Apple, seem to draw so much passion for their products, even blinding them to their flaws (such as maps).

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

One of those problems you realize you don't even have until there is a solution to it. I didn't think the 4S was too heavy either until I held the iPhone 5, and I was blown away by how light it was. It almost felt cheap. But after using it for a while I'm actually really glad its so much lighter. Thinner, I don't really care. And as an added bonus, my iPhone 5 actually does get more than twice the battery life than my 4S did.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I hate it how these days, the high profile Apple employees try to persuade you how good things are (I'm mainly talking about Schiller, Forstall and Cook here).

"It is a remarkable device!"

"Maps are SO beautiful"

"It's just gorgeous"

"We absolutely love this at Apple, absolutely LOVE it"

It just looks desperate?

Steve would have just gone "here it is, it's so cool", end of. Then of course, we would have opened our lovely new Apple gadgets and thought "yeah, this is pretty cool!".

But now it seems that the recent decline in quality of some Apple products (Maps, lack of light sensor on new Touches, no groundbreaking new features in iOS 6 that work properly) has resulted in the top dogs getting desperate, and trying to persuade us that Apple products are really cool rather than just showing us how cool they are. I just think it comes across desperate, and isn't smooth like Steve was.

Just my thoughts...

I totally agree with you to some extent, jobs was great. But what can they say?

"Yeah that sucks dosent it? Better stick with the 4g, or hey get a Samsung! I hear they're pretty cool nowadays!" Love Tim.

They're just giving a standard PR infused response to a customer, they have to sell it a little.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
This is the size of the typical ambient light sensor. Note that this is the planar view of the device. The thickness profile of this particular ALS is 1.05mm.

08348-3_i_ma.jpg

There is no way the iPod Touch is too thin for this.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Nobody uses the light sensor, people turn it off anyway. It was a nice thing to show of in 1998, people would clap their hands in amazement, it was an achievement in AI technology coupled with expensive light sensors. Now it's a feature as desirable as those car alarms that used to go off with video game noises.

It was a good thing to remove this useless feature.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nobody uses the light sensor, people turn it off anyway. It was a nice thing to show of in 1998, people would clap their hands in amazement, it was an achievement in AI technology coupled with expensive light sensors. Now it's a feature as desirable as those car alarms that used to go off with video game noises.

It was a good thing to remove this useless feature.

Huh, I've always used it. I've never touched the brightness dial of my iPhone or iPod and I use it in the morning in a pitch black room and in the midday sun. Works perfectly.

burtx

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
The guy already has an iPhone. What's he doing with a touch anyway? hmm

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Huh, I've always used it. I've never touched the brightness dial of my iPhone or iPod and I use it in the morning in a pitch black room and in the midday sun. Works perfectly.

OK in this case I was wrong. I find that it changes brightness too quickly sometimes, that's why I like to have manual control

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.