Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Meeting With Accessory Makers to Promote Lightning Integration

Next month, Apple will meet with accessory makers in Shenzhen, China to discuss integration of the new Lightning connector in third party products, according to a report from TechCrunch. The MFi Program allows manufacturers to obtain the hardware components necessary to connect iPhones, iPods and iPads to third party docks, cars, and other such devices.

However, in a change from the previous dock connector, TechCrunch says Apple will be keeping very tight control of the new Lightning connector:
Quote:
One of those new rules, according to one of our sources close to the program, is that Apple's Lightning pin supply is controlled by the company itself, and it supplies approved MFI partners with production quantities of the pin once their product is determined to have met its standards and specifications. It sells them in volume, and our source says the pricing is actually very fair when you consider the advanced technology involved in the connector's construction.
An earlier teardown of the Lightning connector showed some specialized hardware inside the connector itself, including chips that could be used for security.

That said, Chinese companies are said to have cracked the security protocols already, and are in the process of ramping up Lightning component production. The meeting, reportedly scheduled for November 7 and 8, is a first step towards development of new Lightning-compatible products.

Apple did say during the iPhone 5 launch event that some companies including Bose, JBL, B&W and B&O were already working on devices compatible with the new connector. However, we haven't heard any concrete availability dates for new Lightning-compatible devices.

Article Link: Apple Meeting With Accessory Makers to Promote Lightning Integration
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2
flyingember
macrumors member

the question I want answered by manufacturers is if I can use the apple adaptor for existing accessories

broad comparability testing by companies would be smart.
flyingember is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
macrumors newbie

They're meeting with accessory makers next month? They're already running about a month late.
731729 is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
samcraig
macrumors G5

Tighter control translation: We want to make money off of every accessory that connects to the iPhone.
samcraig is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Woo! This means cheaper lightning connectors. I wonder how many people will complain about even this..
Lark.Landon is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Jsameds
macrumors 6502

I just want a simple dock for my desk at work, please.
Jsameds is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

They better!

I am still glad though that they finally updated their aging 30-pin connector. The new one is just great; smaller, more usable, AND looks better .
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:39 PM   #8
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

Unless they plan to stop companies in China from making cheap knockoffs I'm not sure what the point of the tight control is.

At the current rate we will see knockoff cables before any legitimate 'approved' accessories.
bigcat318 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:39 PM   #9
chuckd83
macrumors regular

here's an idea...release your tight grip on the lightning thing so we don't end up with bricked iPhones by using cheap Chinese hacked crap.
chuckd83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:40 PM   #10
840quadra

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Tighter control translation: We want to make money off of every accessory that connects to the iPhone.
That, or you could look at it as they are looking to work with manufacturers to ensure future products provide the best possible experience for customers of both companies. Wouldn't it also be worth their while to ensure the first 3rd party accessories that pair with Lighting work well?
840quadra is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:41 PM   #11
MCP-511
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
I just want a simple dock for my desk at work, please.
I 2nd that. Me too.
MCP-511 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:41 PM   #12
bboucher790
macrumors 6502

I guess.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funny_never_too_late.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	370170  
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #13
jackfungi
macrumors newbie

One of the greatest features with Apple's ecosystem is its lack of fragmentation. The lightning connector challenges that. Three years until the whole ecosystem is resorted again? This was still a necessary upgrade.
jackfungi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #14
Tingler

Better late than never, I guess.
Tingler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #15
absurdamerica
macrumors regular

Apple screwed this up in just about every way possible.

They failed to:

1. Provide even a superficial performance boost by making the cable USB3
2. Engage manufacturers early so that when the phone came out their partners could benefit from increased dock/accessory sales.

Honestly, all this has been nothing but an inconvenience for the customer and if I was an accessory maker I'd be furious heading into the holiday season with no iPhone5 ready products to drive holiday sales.
absurdamerica is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #16
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Would have made more sense if the meeting was held Sept. 13th...

Quote:
Originally Posted by absurdamerica View Post
Apple screwed this up in just about every way possible.

They failed to:

From what I've read, USB 3 would not have affected any performance in the iPhone. The bottleneck in the iPhone is the memory chip, which is slower than USB 2. So you wouldn't see any benefit from 3.0.

Once Apple gets faster chips, they update Lightning to USB 3.0 (probably in a couple years).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17
jackfungi
macrumors newbie

It's going to be very difficult for accessory makers to design, build and get approval for their new lightning products before the holiday season. Lets see how this ends up! Like Phil Schiller said, does Apple want to kill the dock?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
Would have made more sense if the meeting was held Sept. 13th...
I totally agree. Laziness? Lol
jackfungi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:44 PM   #18
k995
macrumors 6502a

Ok shouldnt you do this Before you realease the iphone using it?
k995 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:45 PM   #19
neuregulin
macrumors newbie

All I care now is to get some extra cable and adaptor

Of course at a much decent price Apple is offering.... I will consider $10 for cable or an adaptor...... I need to carry my ipad on the road most of time, so an old charger, with a 30-pin cable plus the adaptor will totally serve me perfect.

It is strange that Apple doesn't have a stock of those adaptor when they ship iPhone5. I don't dare to take my iphone5 cable off my iMac, because I can afford to loose it now...and $30 an adaptor....that's ridiculous.
neuregulin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:46 PM   #20
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
here's an idea...release your tight grip on the lightning thing so we don't end up with bricked iPhones by using cheap Chinese hacked crap.
Or don't buy cheap Chinese hacked crap and your phone won't get bricked?
Lark.Landon is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:47 PM   #21
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Good! I'm hoping Pure digital radios will launch a new compatible bedside digital radio with dock for my iPhone 5 By February if possible in time for my birthday
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:48 PM   #22
neuregulin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by absurdamerica View Post
They failed to:

I guess Apple is still debating about USB3 as a whole..... not just for iOS devices, but for Mac too. Before the Mac getting USB3, no way any iOS device is getting that ability.

Interesting to see whether next week's update on rMBP or iMac will have this improvement. Don't see any technical difficulty anywhere in the USB3 business.
neuregulin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:49 PM   #23
BruceEBonus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to BruceEBonus
The more I see these depressing post-Steve Jobs announcements from Apple products it makes me sad and happy. Sad that Apple now seem to be losing the impetus it once had in being one step ahead of the competition - and happy I got a 4S instead and saved myself s in pointless connector 'upgrades', duff Maps, scratchy cases and one issue after another .... lets hope 2013 is Apple's year again and quality comes before the quantity of 'major announcements'
BruceEBonus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:49 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
From what I've read, USB 3 would not have affected any performance in the iPhone. The bottleneck in the iPhone is the memory chip, which is slower than USB 2. So you wouldn't see any benefit from 3.0.
Where did you read this?

Last edited by dejo; Oct 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Restoring damaged post.
314631 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:53 PM   #25
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
Or don't buy cheap Chinese hacked crap and your phone won't get bricked?
Using that logic.

Don't buy a cheap Chinese phone like an iPhone?

This should have happened BEFORE the phone came out, not after.

Last edited by G51989; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
G51989 is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion