Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cristtiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Hi am upgrading my video card Radeon 4870 from my Mac Pro 2009 OSX 10.8.2 to a EVGA GTX 680 4GB and I wanted to know if my Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere/Effects will run faster with this card. Any luck installing this card? Thanks

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
From what I know CUDA is only support in Adobe products, Final Cut Pro X uses GPU in some other manner.

I am not sure if OS X can use more than 2GB of VRAM anyway, other might fill me in, it might be possible if you're on Mountain Lion.

cristtiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
From what I know CUDA is only support in Adobe products, Final Cut Pro X uses GPU in some other manner.

I am not sure if OS X can use more than 2GB of VRAM anyway, other might fill me in, it might be possible if you're on Mountain Lion.

But will it work? Is it worth upgrading from a Radeon 4870?

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Read through the many other recent threads here on the GTX 6XX cards and CUDA/OpenCL. CUDA is easy to enable, OpenCL not so much so. Whether you will realize a benefit is wholly dependent upon the application and how well GPU acceleration is implemented. Be careful with the 680. Very few of the many different models have dual six pin connectors.

cristtiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Read through the many other recent threads here on the GTX 6XX cards and CUDA/OpenCL. CUDA is easy to enable, OpenCL not so much so. Whether you will realize a benefit is wholly dependent upon the application and how well GPU acceleration is implemented. Be careful with the 680. Very few of the many different models have dual six pin connectors.

This one looks like it has a 6-pin and an 8-pin, but it has the converter I think included...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130798

----------

I also found this link which it says 10.8.2 natively supports GTX 6XX series

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...orce-gtx-680-4gb-kepler-hackintosh-guide.html

I just wanted to know if anybody out there has tried it?

cristtiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
You'll need to siphon energy from somewhere else in the system to power the GTX680. 6-pin and 8-pin is really pushing it.

Oh yeah that 8-pin to 6 pin uses 2 6-pins already....do you know any GTX 680 that uses only 2 6pins?

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
This one looks like it has a 6-pin and an 8-pin, but it has the converter I think included...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130798

----------

I also found this link which it says 10.8.2 natively supports GTX 6XX series

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...orce-gtx-680-4gb-kepler-hackintosh-guide.html

I just wanted to know if anybody out there has tried it?

Do not even think about 8 to 6 pin adapters.

Yes, 10.8.x supports the GTX cards, with certain limitations.

Again, search this forum for relevant threads, of which there are many ... with hundreds of posts. Many, many, many MP owners "have tried it," with varying results. No one can summarize them all in a single reply. This is one time where YMMV could not be more true.

I am happy overall with my 670, but there are minor issues (no boot screen, OpenCL is hit or miss, OS X updates break Nvidia drivers such as enabling PCI-E 2.0), and the list goes on for some.

cristtiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
am just curious between this and Radeon 5870 which one is better in video/graphics app?

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I use that card and it runs cool and is stable. It has 6 pins so fits right in. It is faster than my 5770 but I am not sure I am getting the best out of Opencl yet. Hoping for updated drivers at some point. I don't get the boot screen for what it's worth... It shows all 4gb in system profiler.

C

Unless you've successfully made the mods required for cards with more than 2 gb vram, you are not getting opencl at all.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
how do you do it?

no OpenCL at all?

Good question. I am still waiting on someone to write a clear, concise, coherent, explicit, preferably screenshot illustrated step by step guide to enabling OpenCL on GTX > 2 GB cards. Numerous users have bricked their Pros trying to follow the instructions out there as they are, and those that fail to get it working are the ones who ALWAYS get blamed (i.e., operator error).

Search around the forum here. You'll find lots of posts about it. Also over at netkas there are a few too.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
Unless you've successfully made the mods required for cards with more than 2 gb vram, you are not getting opencl at all.

Well I tried but the instructions are not very clear. At least not for me. Not really sure how you would test it so I am using it and it's much faster than what I had before... Used Hexedit but on Netkas it also said there are other problems with 680 cards! Wish someone would do a clear idiot proof instruction in one place at some point and/or nvidia updates drivers...

I'm happy with the card now so maybe it's working!

C

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Good question. I am still waiting on someone to write a clear, concise, coherent, explicit, preferably screenshot illustrated step by step guide to enabling OpenCL on GTX > 2 GB cards. Numerous users have bricked their Pros trying to follow the instructions out there as they are, and those that fail to get it working are the ones who ALWAYS get blamed (i.e., operator error).

Search around the forum here. You'll find lots of posts about it. Also over at netkas there are a few too.

And this is why I keep recommending 2GB cards for now. I don't have access to a card with more memory than that, so I can't prepare such a guide.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Numerous users have bricked their Pros trying to follow the instructions out there

"Bricked their Pros" ????????

Hyperbole much?

Here's the thing, anytime you drag the OpenCl folder someplace, it makes a copy of it.

So you make 2 copies, one you mod. The mod doesn't work....YOU HOLD THE SHIFT KEY, DO A SAFE BOOT, AND PUT THE UNMOLESTED COPY BACK IN. Repair Permissions and reboot. Back to square one in under 5 minutes.

Hardly worthy of the phrase "Brick" which is typically used to describe an item that is RUINED FOR ALL TIME by a bad flash.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bricked

"To render your computer useless, as useless as a brick. Usually the result of tampering with the insides and doing irreversible damage."

So a 5 minute reboot fix is worthy of this phrase?

For every person who can't make this work there are at least 20 who did it first time and never thought about it again it was so easy.

It is people convincing themselves that this is difficult that MAKES it difficult for them.

Using the work "brick" is the exact sort of stress that leads them to believe this.

It is simple and easy. Follow the instructions and move on.

Photovore

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
Yeah; it'd take a fire, a flood, or an asteroid strike to brick my pro!

... still trying to decide which card for bestest oCL though; looks like 570....

edit; bonus fun info bit: I have a flashlight made for underwater rescue operations. It is lifetime guaranteed against anything but "shark bite, lightning strike, and children under two" :)

cristtiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012

Hyperbole much?

Here's the thing, anytime you drag the OpenCl folder someplace, it makes a copy of it.

So you make 2 copies, one you mod. The mod doesn't work....YOU HOLD THE SHIFT KEY, DO A SAFE BOOT, AND PUT THE UNMOLESTED COPY BACK IN. Repair Permissions and reboot. Back to square one in under 5 minutes.

Hardly worthy of the phrase "Brick" which is typically used to describe an item that is RUINED FOR ALL TIME by a bad flash.

"To render your computer useless, as useless as a brick. Usually the result of tampering with the insides and doing irreversible damage."

For every person who can't make this work there are at least 20 who did it first time and never thought about it again it was so easy.

It is people convincing themselves that this is difficult that MAKES it difficult for them.

Using the work "brick" is the exact sort of stress that leads them to believe this.

So what card would you recommend?

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011

Hyperbole much?

Yes, "bricked." When I followed the so-called instructions, such as they were, my Pro was as useless as a brick, unless parted out. Fortunately I had a cloned OS drive ready for just such an occasion. One need only search through the forums to see that it is not an isolated issue. There are a number of other posters right here on MR who had the same problem. Don't believe me? Try the search function. Check over on netkas too while you're at it.

Since you are so much better with words than a guy with graduate degrees in both language and law, why don't you write a clear, concise, illustrated guide to getting the OpenCl job done? Obviously, I am not capable of enabling my card, or clearly conveying my opinion in writing, so I can't do it.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Anytime you have a bad system file, you just boot from another OS install, System disk, or JUST HOLD THE SHIFT KEY and fix it by copying an unmolested folder back over the one you screwed up and running a repair permissions. 5 minute fix and you are back at square one.
I have written clear instructions before, i'll go search them out and paste them here.

Convincing yourself that it is difficult is exactly how to make it be that way.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15792770/

Info regarding 10.7.5 GM
Hey, wanted to confirm that 10.7.5 GM still works great with the EFI cards and the non-Efi Nvidia cards.

OpenCl still requires same exact fix as before

1. Drag the entire OpenCl.framework folder onto your desktop, this will make a copy and leave original in frameworks folder

2. Dig down to the listed file (follow path in Netkas post below, it is your roadmap)

The file you wanna patch is /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL

Just do these two simple patches you can do with any hex editor and you are good to go:

1) for 32-bit part:
find 3d 01 00 00 80 73 e7
replace with 3d 01 00 00 80 90 90

2) for 64-bit part, for lion
find ff 50 68 48 39 d8 73 e5
replace with ff 50 68 48 39 d8 90 90

for mountain lion
find ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 73 e7
replace with ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 90 90

P.S. doesnt applies to gtx670/gtx680, they have a different problem

3. Drag file to hexedit

4. do the fixes per the above Netkas post, it is CRUCIAL that you only REPLACE the searched for text, do NOT just add, the easy way to be sure is to check the file length before starting and before saving. If it has changed so much as a single byte, you have messed it up and need to do it again.

5. save file back where it was

6. drag the unbuggered original into a folder somewhere in case you screw up, thus making a 2nd copy

7. delete original from frameworks folder

8. drag the fixed one into the frameworks folder

9. this final step is crucial----RUN "REPAIR PERMISSIONS" from disk utility, if you don't see it mention that exact folder, run it again.

10. Reboot

11. Enjoy OpenCl goodness

12. Donate $5 to Netkas for making your life easier and thwarting Apple's evil goals of kneecapping decent cards

Last edited:

cristtiah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
It is NOT "irreversible damage" it is a (self) corrupted system file. Mac users have been fixing this sort of thing since we picked our printers in the "Chooser". Hysteria isn't helpful.

Anytime you have a bad system file, you just boot from another OS install, System disk, or JUST HOLD THE SHIFT KEY and fix it by copying an unmolested folder back over the one you screwed up and running a repair permissions. 5 minute fix and you are back at square one. I can not BEGIN to understand how this is "irreversible damage".

I have written clear instructions before, i'll go search them out and paste them here.

If someone wants to draw some illustrations, feel free. AT most there are 4 or 5 people who have issues doing this. I believe most of them tried again and did it right. They got to work and never bothered to do a forum follow up saying it was all a silly typo they made. You are trying to make this sound like there are hundreds of people brought to a standstill, staring in frustrated angst at their screen. That is not the case.

Convincing yourself that it is difficult is exactly how to make it be that way.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15792770/

Info regarding 10.7.5 GM
Hey, wanted to confirm that 10.7.5 GM still works great with the EFI cards and the non-Efi Nvidia cards.

OpenCl still requires same exact fix as before

1. Drag the entire OpenCl.framework folder onto your desktop, this will make a copy and leave original in frameworks folder

2. Dig down to the listed file (follow path in Netkas post below, it is your roadmap)

The file you wanna patch is /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL

Just do these two simple patches you can do with any hex editor and you are good to go:

1) for 32-bit part:
find 3d 01 00 00 80 73 e7
replace with 3d 01 00 00 80 90 90

2) for 64-bit part, for lion
find ff 50 68 48 39 d8 73 e5
replace with ff 50 68 48 39 d8 90 90

for mountain lion
find ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 73 e7
replace with ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 90 90

P.S. doesnt applies to gtx670/gtx680, they have a different problem

3. Drag file to hexedit

4. do the fixes per the above Netkas post, it is CRUCIAL that you only REPLACE the searched for text, do NOT just add, the easy way to be sure is to check the file length before starting and before saving. If it has changed so much as a single byte, you have messed it up and need to do it again.

5. save file back where it was

6. drag the unbuggered original into a folder somewhere in case you screw up, thus making a 2nd copy

7. delete original from frameworks folder

8. drag the fixed one into the frameworks folder

9. this final step is crucial----RUN "REPAIR PERMISSIONS" from disk utility, if you don't see it mention that exact folder, run it again.

10. Reboot

11. Enjoy OpenCl goodness

12. Donate $5 to Netkas for making your life easier and thwarting Apple's evil goals of kneecapping decent cards

ok just to make it clear to make the MSI GTX 680 4GB opencl compatible I will need to make these modifications? I have Lion 10.8.2 will it work on this OS? Thanks

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
OK, that's basically what has been out there and tried before. My particular issue, as well as others who went all out and got the 670/680, may be due to the following, which makes no sense whatsoever:

"P.S. doesnt applies to gtx670/gtx680, they have a different problem"

Furthermore, these instructions reference 10.7.5 and many of us are now on 10.8.2, an entirely different OS version. Added to that some, like me, are using the new drivers directly from Nvidia.

To me anyway, it still is far from clear as to what a 4 GB GTX 670/680 owner is to do to get OpenCl running under 10.8.2 with Nvidia GPU drivers.

Thanks in advance to anyone with a correct, clear solution...assuming such a thing even exists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.